Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:27 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times

Advertisements

As a "new" senior citizen, I have noticed something that I did not expect.

When I was under 60, most tweens and teens just ignored me when I was walking my dog, in the grocery store, etc. (not that I would have expected it to be otherwise). However, now that I am over 60, I have been pleasantly surprised by how many friendly and polite nods and greetings I get from those 10-20 years old who don't even know me! It truly makes me happy to know that not all young people are rude to oldsters or treat them as if they were invisible.

Has this been your experience as well?

It is just nice to know that some youngsters are still definitely being raised to be be kind and respectful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 09:53 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times
Your name says it all: who cares?

Old 05-05-2015, 10:28 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
I live in a foreign country and the local teenagers are expectedly self-absorbed and, thus, sometimes mindlessly rude.

The visiting Brit and Americans in their late teens are noticeably louder, ruder and sometimes aggressive. Perhaps its due to being off the leash in an environment where they are totally unknown....and the drinking age here is sixteen, which may fuel their obnoxious "personalities."

Old 05-05-2015, 11:04 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
I live in a foreign country and the local teenagers are expectedly self-absorbed and, thus, sometimes mindlessly rude.

The visiting Brit and Americans in their late teens are noticeably louder, ruder and sometimes aggressive. Perhaps its due to being off the leash in an environment where they are totally unknown....and the drinking age here is sixteen, which may fuel their obnoxious "personalities."

It isnt any different then here. Look at all the crap on the news. Most of it from 16 to 20 somthings.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:38 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
I am stopped by students on campus not for myself but for....my two beautiful dogs. Everyone wants to pet them, asks their names, what kind, etc. As a senior, I am not noticed though I still retain my raving good looks LOL.

Old 05-05-2015, 01:51 PM

16,266 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Your name says it all: who cares?
Well that was certainly a rude thing to write. Obviously the OP cares.

As for me I am "only" 56 but I can tell you that young people today are way nicer than when I was 18. I wasn't rude, I just tended to ignore older people as described in the earlier post. Maybe it's because we are in the country and people tend to be friendlier up here but I have noticed young people nod, say hi (I could do without the "sir" at the end LOL) or wave when you drive by. It's really nice.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:19 PM

450 posts, read 596,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
As a "new" senior citizen, I have noticed something that I did not expect.

When I was under 60, most tweens and teens just ignored me when I was walking my dog, in the grocery store, etc. (not that I would have expected it to be otherwise). However, now that I am over 60, I have been pleasantly surprised by how many friendly and polite nods and greetings I get from those 10-20 years old who don't even know me! It truly makes me happy to know that not all young people are rude to oldsters or treat them as if they were invisible.

Has this been your experience as well?

It is just nice to know that some youngsters are still definitely being raised to be be kind and respectful!
I have noticed the same thing lately. I have had white hair since I was 18 so hair color probably isn't the reason. Young folks have treated me so nicely lately I started getting paranoid and keep checking that nothing is showing or open. Maybe I'm starting to look old. Anyway it's nice.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:39 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,572,039 times
I have also found the young to be very friendly and helpful. One actually stopped and helped us bring in our groceries! Those working in the shops are very friendly are nice and very talkative. One said the other day, "Oh your husband is so cute!" LOL

Old 05-05-2015, 08:43 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
IMO, they are reacting to you. Little things make you either a nice old person, a crank, creepy, etc, in their minds pretty quickly.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:31 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Yes ;I have to honest say so; many go out of their way really. Sometimes I wander how much is elder respect and what is he is just a old man. LOL I once asked a younger friend why he called me so often to go fishing with him on his boat as I did he and his father .He said don't fool yourself ;its pure selfish on my part :I want to learn your methods learned over time and especially your fishing holes and just grinned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement