Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 08:15 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Being snowed in has its advantages. I just rediscovered online something I had known about but never acted on: common-interest meetups. Wow, what a world of connection out there! These meetups generally consist of people of all ages who like the same kinds of activities. (Many of you may be familiar with this.) Of course caution is to be exercised, like always meeting in public places (those that I'm interested in do) and not accepting rides with strangers.

I just signed up for meetups in figure drawing, digital photography, sustainable energy, and concerts/dinner. These groups all meet within of 10 miles of where I live. Members post their profiles and I'm surprised to see a few faces I know (very few post their last names). Their brief bios are interesting, and I like the fact that the groups I joined so far are mixed (not just seniors). I feel that the drawing and photography groups may get me back into art again (I've exhibited and sold in my 20s and 30s but not since then).

Anyone else doing this? (meetup.com)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Yes, I have signed up for a few and gave up on most of them. I dumped the one I was in for the longest time just this month. Some I have only attended once. Some I have never attended.

The longest one I attended turned into "Let's Eat Here" group which did nothing for my waistline. The book group was ok but everyone read different books and it seemed to be pointless. Being a history/preservation/Scarlett O'hara buff, I would like to find a group interested in that stuff. Haven't found one yet and probably won't (in this area). So, I wish you good luck with meet ups. It sounds like a good idea but the quality of people joining is very important to the success of the group.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:27 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I've looked but there aren't very many interesting topics and the few I did find were something like 40-50 miles away. So it's a great idea as long as you can find something interesting and nearby.

Old 01-27-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
Yes, I have signed up for a few and gave up on most of them. I dumped the one I was in for the longest time just this month. Some I have only attended once. Some I have never attended.

The longest one I attended turned into "Let's Eat Here" group which did nothing for my waistline. The book group was ok but everyone read different books and it seemed to be pointless. Being a history/preservation/Scarlett O'hara buff, I would like to find a group interested in that stuff. Haven't found one yet and probably won't (in this area). So, I wish you good luck with meet ups. It sounds like a good idea but the quality of people joining is very important to the success of the group.
Why don't you start one?

Old 01-27-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I've looked but there aren't very many interesting topics and the few I did find were something like 40-50 miles away. So it's a great idea as long as you can find something interesting and nearby.
I put in 10 mi radius of where I live, I wouldn't travel farther than that unless it's a really special event. I was amazed at what came up in my area. Even if the groups don't work out, maybe I'll meet someone or two whom I can relate to and become an interest buddy with. My casual friends are great but they don't largely share my interests so there are limitations to those friendships. Anyway, I'm hopeful. Will see what happens.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:40 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Being snowed in has its advantages. I just rediscovered online something I had known about but never acted on: common-interest meetups. Wow, what a world of connection out there! These meetups generally consist of people of all ages who like the same kinds of activities. (Many of you may be familiar with this.) Of course caution is to be exercised, like always meeting in public places (those that I'm interested in do) and not accepting rides with strangers.

I just signed up for meetups in figure drawing, digital photography, sustainable energy, and concerts/dinner. These groups all meet within of 10 miles of where I live. Members post their profiles and I'm surprised to see a few faces I know (very few post their last names). Their brief bios are interesting, and I like the fact that the groups I joined so far are mixed (not just seniors). I feel that the drawing and photography groups may get me back into art again (I've exhibited and sold in my 20s and 30s but not since then).

Anyone else doing this? (meetup.com)
I thought about it. There are a lot of options in my area but almost nothing I'd be 'into'. There are some women's groups but they are for women a lot younger than me. More my kids ages. There are a lot of "spiritual' type groups but they are, after all, located in Sedona. A problem for me is my work hours. These groups seem to always meet when I couldn't attend. Weekend dinners, etc.. I guess I'm just supposed to use the Senior Center as my "meetup group". lol Tried that and it didn't pan out either.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:

Google "meetup groups Sedona". For curiosity at least. You'll see a ton of options but not much I'd be interested in doing.

I am a history buff too. It's because of that I've been doing genealogy for the last nearly 30 years. And I have always admired Scarlett O'Hara. lol Read the book three times and seen the movie countless times. If there's a group like that here it would probably be about JUST the area and not particularly history in general. And we do have those here. They just aren't classified as "meetup groups".

Old 01-27-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I put in 10 mi radius of where I live, I wouldn't travel farther than that unless it's a really special event. I was amazed at what came up in my area. Even if the groups don't work out, maybe I'll meet someone or two whom I can relate to and become an interest buddy with. My casual friends are great but they don't largely share my interests so there are limitations to those friendships. Anyway, I'm hopeful. Will see what happens.
Most of the groups here are 15 miles away. And some are 50. They decided to add some from 'over the mountain'. I was surprised at how many groups there are here. There was another website I found that listed a lot of 'new age' type of groups but that's the norm for Sedona. Not so many on the last website I found but some 'preppers' and spiritual groups.

My town used to have a singles group, for all ages. It was disbanded...for "lack of interest". lol

Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Google "meetup groups Sedona". For curiosity at least. You'll see a ton of options but not much I'd be interested in doing.

I am a history buff too. It's because of that I've been doing genealogy for the last nearly 30 years. And I have always admired Scarlett O'Hara. lol Read the book three times and seen the movie countless times. If there's a group like that here it would probably be about JUST the area and not particularly history in general. And we do have those here. They just aren't classified as "meetup groups".
See, AZ DB: We need to live where there are plantations and southern museums. I know I am in the wrong state. I am thinking maybe you are too. LOL

Old 01-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
See, AZ DB: We need to live where there are plantations and southern museums. I know I am in the wrong state. I am thinking maybe you are too. LOL
My roots actually go deep in the south from the 1500s...VA, NC, TN, KY. I've always loved the south. I can remember driving through a poverty area of MS with a lot of little rundown 'shacks'. They were so covered/surrounded by flowers, plants, shrubs and trees though that they were beautiful. I've always had a love of the old Plantation house and my ancestors lived in them. I've been in a couple of them that they actually lived in. You KNOW my imagination went wild. Only one, that I know of, is still in the family after nearly 250 years.

There are places here in the Verde Valley that a person could 'recreate' the plantation home but who could afford it??? Our old ranch along Oak Creek in Cornville would be perfect for it. If I ever won a mega millions lottery I'd make them an offer they couldn't refuse. I had a friend who used to live in Cornville. She moved to Natchez, MS, bought a plantation house and rehabbed it. Sold it for a ton of $$s and moved to CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement