U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 12:21 PM

21 posts, read 24,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We, too, are older and have moved to the Savannah area for reasons other than weather, and the lack of winter was very enjoyable. When we moved, we had a son living here and my husband was a SE Sales Rep.
Fast forward. We have a nice house, and enjoy the weather, but we have NO local friends. If you have family or a support system, as a single person, you will miss it if you move.

If you are happy by yourself, without a network, you can move anywhere. I have lived in Phoenix and have visited the SW several times, and I love the area, but if you need a networks of people around you, you should stay put.
Gentearts,
A network is important, but I find my network shifting anyway. Friends retire, move away or spend much of their time exploring. Friends with family nearby spend much of their time with grandkids. I am jealous! My grandbabies live in Orange County--a place I love to visit but cannot afford as a residence.

I fear the thought of no local friends! Spent most of my life building professional relationships, some of which evolved into friendships. Been a long while since I truly developed friendships away from work!

I worry too a bit about being single and setting out on this adventure on my own. But I don't worry enough to hesitate
Tijuca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 02:45 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,759,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, I can't say about summer...but right now, on May 8 at 3:45pm, it is 88 degrees, and in Phoenix it is 73 degrees, according to accuweather. So I wouldn't say Phoenix is so bad, at least compared with here in Southern New England.

I've never lived in Phoenix but I spent a week there in October 1991. OMG, it was 103 in the shade. Whoever said dry heat isnt bad hasnt been to Phoenix.

Old 05-09-2015, 03:55 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,560,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuca View Post
Gentearts,
A network is important, but I find my network shifting anyway. Friends retire, move away or spend much of their time exploring. Friends with family nearby spend much of their time with grandkids. I am jealous! My grandbabies live in Orange County--a place I love to visit but cannot afford as a residence.

I fear the thought of no local friends! Spent most of my life building professional relationships, some of which evolved into friendships. Been a long while since I truly developed friendships away from work!

I worry too a bit about being single and setting out on this adventure on my own. But I don't worry enough to hesitate
Tijuca
People underestimate the need for a social network sometimes. There is more to theoretically do in far flung urban places for sure but having lived in the SF Bay Area for many years, I wouldn't say it is very easy to make a real friend.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:49 AM

37,105 posts, read 45,631,484 times
OP, you know yourself better than anyone. You are right, that the friends you have are not staying in the same place. We still see and visit with the old gang, who are spread far and wide, from Seattle to Florida.

Truthfully, before we moved, we did something with friends or family every weekend, and now that we are alone, it is kind of a relief. If I worked at it I could surround us with new acquaintances, but I haven't done it. There are two of us, so it is different from being by yourself. If my husband died, I don't think I would stay here.

If you think you could be happy by yourself, or if you would enjoy building new relationships from scratch, then go for it. Just make sure you don't go somewhere that is so expensive that you cannot travel to see family or friends if you feel like it.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:04 AM

Burkmere,
I keep reflecting upon your insights regarding weather-related moving AND on your upcoming trip to Sioux Falls.

I've always believed in the power of place. The Black Hills feel like "home" to me and will always be my anchor. However, as my friends and I age, I have seen them evolve and change their focuses to each other, shared activities and nearby grandchildren. This is all as it should be...for them.

However, these changes affect me. I find that I am at crossroads. Do I begin a new, more adventurous life or do I settle here for the rest of my life? I tend to lean towards adventure. A warmer, more temperate than Dakota climate in winter would be an added bonus. And, I will always come "home" at various times throughout the year.

My only child and his family are in California. I am an only child whose surviving parent is settled here in the Black Hills and won't consider a move to another locale--that's OK. But, as a result, I need a place that allows easy (i.e. affordable and relatively quick) access to both locations.

As for SD weather. Today is a great example. It's Mother's Day and Mother Nature seems to be having her way with us. Check out these amazing spring snow pictures from the Rapid City Journal. Meanwhile, in the Sioux Falls region tornado warnings have been issued.

While weather does not define me, it most certainly does influence me. I just don't know, when combined with all of the other factors, where it will influence me to go.

Tijuca

Old 05-10-2015, 11:09 AM

Gentlearts,
Thanks for the reply. I am used to being independent--only child, divorced, etc. But I do want to find lasting friendships and a sense of community. I find at this stage that I am a bit weary of making all of life's major decisions on my own. I wonder if that is a common feeling????

The area within a couple hours of the Mesa (AZ) Gateway Airport appeals to me because I can easily return home to see friends and my father but also easily make a quick trip to California to see my son and family there.

It is a fine line though, isn't it? A few close friends would be more appealing to me than a large group.

Tijuca

Old 05-10-2015, 11:16 AM

Dang! My link for winter snow pictures in the Black Hills didn't work. Let me try again: From the RC Journal

On another note: Is there a way to edit old posts? For example, it would have been great to be able to go back and add the link to the post where I original referenced it. Then I wouldn't have to fess up on my error

Old 05-10-2015, 11:42 AM

13,888 posts, read 25,323,560 times
St George, no worries about the Mormon thing. Mormons are just like everyone else. Taxes is why I wouldn't want to live in St. George. Especially since the tax climate is much better on the other side of the border in Mesquite. Just a few miles away.

I moved to Las Vegas from Minnesota. This last winter, we used the heat maybe 5 days and it's mid-May and we haven't turned on the AC yet. Keeping fingers crossed because the AC is our only big bill here! It's too hot in June, July, August, and September but the rest of the year is pretty darn perfect. And there is a lot to do in Las Vegas that doesn't cost much. Really it's a small city that has everything because of the tourists. Everyone is from someplace other than Vegas and there is a huge population of singles. It's easy to meet people. We have a great airport and it's easy to get flights anywhere you want to go. And if you want ocean, California isn't far and you can enjoy the beach without having to pay their taxes or put up with the traffic every day.

All in all, the desert SW is a great area. I looked at Phoenix too but I didn't like the idea of all the humidity caused by the monsoons in the summer. And taxes are higher there too.

Enjoy the hunt! It should be fun!

Old 05-10-2015, 12:43 PM

2,294 posts, read 1,560,729 times
Quote:
Burkmere,
I keep reflecting upon your insights regarding weather-related moving AND on your upcoming trip to Sioux Falls.

I've always believed in the power of place. The Black Hills feel like "home" to me and will always be my anchor. However, as my friends and I age, I have seen them evolve and change their focuses to each other, shared activities and nearby grandchildren. This is all as it should be...for them.

However, these changes affect me. I find that I am at crossroads. Do I begin a new, more adventurous life or do I settle here for the rest of my life? I tend to lean towards adventure. A warmer, more temperate than Dakota climate in winter would be an added bonus. And, I will always come "home" at various times throughout the year.

My only child and his family are in California. I am an only child whose surviving parent is settled here in the Black Hills and won't consider a move to another locale--that's OK. But, as a result, I need a place that allows easy (i.e. affordable and relatively quick) access to both locations.

As for SD weather. Today is a great example. It's Mother's Day and Mother Nature seems to be having her way with us. Check out these amazing spring snow pictures from the Rapid City Journal. Meanwhile, in the Sioux Falls region tornado warnings have been issued.

While weather does not define me, it most certainly does influence me. I just don't know, when combined with all of the other factors, where it will influence me to go.

Tijuca
Maybe you will have to experiment. I'm not sure why you wouldn't choose either the OC or just stay in the Hills though. Why a third place not near either? I guess it depends on your finances, too. Why not find a cheaper studio in the OC near your child and grandkids unless you feel that would be crowding them?

Don't get me wrong. Mine is an experiment, too. My upcoming three week trip to South Dakota with prob two weeks in Sioux Falls is an experiment as I will retire from the SF Bay Area in Oct but prob wouldn't move until next summer. I hear you about the snow and tornados today in SD. I plan on getting a place (if I move) in Silix Falls walkable at least to coffee shops etc so that even in bad weather it's manageable.

I think it's difficult to do these things in our head. Probably have to try something. Be warned though. You aren't going to find the sense of community in OC that you have the chance to find in SD. imo. It's easier when you are younger.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:13 PM

21,868 posts, read 14,371,350 times
Quote:
Siibran,
I know what you mean by magical. When I first began this quest, I looked at Brookings, OR, for just the reasons you mention. In the end, I decided that access to family in the Black Hills, SD, and even to Orange County, CA, was both cumbersome and costly. But, definitely, seems like a magical region. I admit, for me, ocean does beat desert.

One of the main reasons I landed on the Prescott, AZ to Cottonwood, AZ is the promise of four-seasons along with easy access to Allegiant flights--one of the few ways to fly direct from Rapid City, SD, to a warm-weather locale. Even then, the only direct flights are to Mesa Gateway or Las Vegas. Need easy access to my father in the Black Hills but also my son and his family in OC.

Back to magical: Actually, the Black Hills of SD are also magical--even though I am looking for a winter escape.

Tijuca
You have a conundrum. I do want to mention that flights and airline companies change. What works for you now might not work in 5 years. I do hear what you are dealing with though.

I've never seen the Black Hills. I'd love to do so sometime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or