U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 09:17 PM

2,165 posts, read 1,265,978 times

Advertisements

This thread cracks me up! Does anyone really think that there is a reasonably priced place with great amenities, water, features, surroundings, low crime & perfect weather? You can have any 3 of the 5, but not the other 2. Everyone would be there if there were. Anyones advice is based on their preferences, not yours. All they can do is list how they perceive it. You have to travel to these places and try them out.

I like the west, but you can have Phoenix. Worst drivers in the USA, and I dont care if its a dry heat, 105F is still 105F.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:35 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,922,814 times
Yes; Arizona and Nevada are really hot; and I am from Texas. The dust also terrible especially in march. I also for older people think one has to remember the danger of dry heat if you like outdoor activity. I learned that lesson when in military and saw what happened to many of my young comrades when it suddenly hit them. 105; I have seen it 112 plus for week when in Vegas in summer. Saw misers at entries and no water ever hit the ground.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:19 AM

13,319 posts, read 25,558,234 times
I was driving out of Las Vegas one summer and stopped at a hotel in Mesquite. At 4p, the car thermometer read 109. A hotel worker was outside smoking, and we greeted each other. I asked her, "How do you live out here with the heat?" and she said, "Lots of cold beer and no heavy thoughts."

Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,378,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Visit some of these places for at least a couple of weeks. You specified climate desires, but not whether you want a small town or city.

Even though it isn't warm year round, I would suggest Southern OR near the Coast as a possibility. The weather is definitely not stable, but the views and general climate are wonderful. And Southern OR is not too far from CA. If you choose a coastal town, your family will visit you happily.

We looked at the Coast and I fell in love, but we agreed it wasn't the best place for us. But whenever I visit, I feel like I am being reborn. It is a magical place.
I recommend an extended visit to wherever you decide before out and out moving as well....I can not believe the number of folks that are retired that seem to move (and this is all by CHOICE, not for jobs or need) trying to find their "happy place". Visiting a spot until you feel this might be good for you, and then maybe staying a month to three to get a REAL feel before you go to the time, trouble and expense to move might serve you very well in the long run.

Great news is a lot of the places you are considering probably have monthly rental opportunities as most "retired communities" have those available with the snowbirds being so prevalent.

Good luck in your venture.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:52 AM

21,959 posts, read 22,113,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuca View Post
Right now, here are the spots I've been researching: Prescott and Prescott Valley, AZ; Payson, AZ; Apache Junction, AZ; Bullhead City, AZ; Lake Havasu, AZ; Mesquite, NV, and St. George, UT.
I've never been to any of the places you mentioned in Arizona. I personally found Mesquite to be not at all nice. You couldn't pay me enough to live there.

As far as St. George is concerned, it's really a nice small city, hot in the summer (but probably not quite a hot as Arizona) with mild winters. I don't know how much money you're going to have to retire on, but if you can afford a nice place, you will find some absolutely gorgeous homes in several of the "suburbs" of St. George. (I'm thinking specifically of the Cayenta neighborhood in Ivins.) Also, you need to think about the size of the town/city you want to move to and how far you are willing to drive for more than just the basic necessities.

I'd second Paka's suggestion about making an extended visit to some of these places before making a final decision.

Old 05-11-2015, 04:27 PM

21 posts, read 24,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
"Lots of cold beer and no heavy thoughts."
Sounds like sage advice to me!

Old 05-13-2015, 05:18 PM

756 posts, read 883,768 times
Here we go again, with different people liking different things, lol. I think the Phoenix area is beautiful. There are certainly plenty of safe, beautiful, affordable neighborhoods. The Valley of the Sun is geographically huge and one's choices are really overwhelming, even when narrowed to certain criteria like, perhaps, a 55+ community. You can live somewhere with a small-town feel, or go (almost) urban in downtown Phoenix--with the rest being suburbia for sure, but offering many different communities within the several towns surrounding Phoenix, many with unique character and various amenities.

I think all the advantages OP listed for the SW region are right on. And I do understand that for some the summer heat is really a deal breaker. For the most part I enjoy the extreme heat, and when it does get to be too much I have a pool in my lovely, inviting back yard where I can take a quick dip (and dry almost immediately), enjoy an icy cold beverage....and all is right with the world. I do tire of nights that don't cool down, but this is a matter of several weeks and in my view FAR better than 7 months of wintery weather than we "enjoy" in Montana. All this in a very affordable home in an absolutely beautiful and well-kept neighborhood. What's not to love?!

I'm used to big blue skies and dry air, so in that way Arizona is not a big change for me. Though there are periods of hazy/cloudy/rainy weather, it's not usually a long stretch before it's back to cheery, sunny skies. That's important to my mental health! And is something I think OP/everyone else looking to relocate needs to consider as well. How many sunny days do you need?

Our home in the PHX area is not in an age-restricted community but is in a master-planned community. There are so many clubs and community activities offered at our owner's club that I can't imagine anyone being bored or lonely there. Something for just about any interest and activity level. Our neighbors are friendly but not too friendly! Some of them are snowbirds, and some just leave for the hottest part of the summer, heading to norther AZ or off to the coast, which would work well for OP too.

It's not an accident that many people head for AZ in retirement. While the heat isn't for everyone, it seems to be alright with a lot of folks, me included. It was affordable, and it was warm enough for me.

I'm still pursuing/investigating my dream of a place near the ocean (not California, can't afford it, too chilly for me anyway!), but in the meantime I happily escape to PHX every chance I get and could easily live there full time. Beautiful place, beautiful weather most of the year--all year pretty much if you are like me and love the heat. In fact, there are things I like better about PHX than the coastal areas we've visited so far. And for us the ease of air travel to and from MT was a huge deal as well.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:15 PM

21 posts, read 24,837 times
You are so right on target, Montanama, regarding air travel. Those from urban regions may not quit be familiar with the challenges of flying when the only direct flight options are anchored in Allegiant or other regional airlines. Not to be disrespectful, but I am not sure many of you understand what "small" airline means.

My most adventurous flights (way more regional than Allegiant) have been those where I have both in an aisle seat and window seat (because there's only one seat on each side) and when the co-pilot is also the steward and when ground crew manually turns the plane for take-off. I'm not complaining; I'm thankful! But, still, this is an adventure in travel.

I agree, the heat of the SW isn't for everyone. And, I also agree, as previous posters have noted: weather shouldn't be the bottom line determining factor.

Yet...

I keep remembering an old, old friend who once said to me: Would you rather strip to stay cool or layer upon layer to stay warm?

Just saying

Old 05-13-2015, 11:15 PM

39 posts, read 30,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Scratch St George unless you plan on becoming a Mormon. Do you want warm or hotter than blazes? Think twice about PHX as it qualifies as hotter than blazes. It has also gotten crowded and none too attractive. Apache Junction, Bullhead City and Lake Havasu are not only hot but downright desolate and depressing. The nearby lakes, mountains, rivers are overrun with people.

Take a look at Portland, Or or Vancouver, WA.
Wait a minute. I researched Portland & was very interested but may be too much rain. I don't know about Vancouver. It is important for us mid-west folks that too much rain can cause depression.

Old 05-14-2015, 11:29 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,035,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijuca View Post

I agree, the heat of the SW isn't for everyone. And, I also agree, as previous posters have noted: weather shouldn't be the bottom line determining factor.

Yet...

I keep remembering an old, old friend who once said to me: Would you rather strip to stay cool or layer upon layer to stay warm?

Just saying
And you don't have to shovel heat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or