U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 11:47 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,382,758 times

Advertisements

We live in a 55+ WITHOUT golf course (but we ARE a golf cart community which is gated). Lots of amenities, lots to do, you can do as much or as little as you wish. WE maintain our own yards (altho about 4 different "contractors" seem to have quite the schedule worked out and I would say 90% of us have our yards on every 2 week maintenance with them) and we are moments from any shopping you need (2 stop signs now, vs none 6 yrs ago, still not a single light between us and the Alamo Ranch Shopping Center). Would not want to live anywhere else! NO vandalism, no graffiti, no noise issues, everyone knows everyone and those outrageous HOA fees to maintain all this??? $115 per month for 2 outdoor pools, and Olympic indoor pool/indoor/outdoor hot tubs, pickle ball court, several tennis courts, horseshoe court, grand ball room for events, private library, gym with all PRECOUR equipment with flat screen TV's, indoor walking area for inclement weather, full exercise room with all the balls,steps, resistance ropes you could want, private message area,more than 12 miles of outside "trails" to walk and staff to keep you happy and all kinds of travel, exercise, explore, enjoy opportunities you might want to enjoy! We have no golf course, but we do have an agreement with the Hyatt Hill Country Golf Club giving those who want to enjoy golf the opportunity to do so, and a VERY active golf group here. It is wonderful, have lived here more than 6 yrs, do not rule one out!!!! We are just down the road, maybe you should consider SA Hill Country Retreat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 11:54 PM

322 posts, read 677,141 times
I am looking for Section 8 rental only.

Old 05-11-2015, 02:26 AM

Then I think you are not on the correct forum...because that would be more retired rental assistance vs 55+ communities which offer NOTHING at all for those needing assistance.

What state are you looking in??? Particular area (city/vicinity) vs just state???

Old 05-11-2015, 02:57 AM

322 posts, read 677,141 times
Paka, yeah I don't know how I stumbled into here. I want to move to Washington State for retirement, so I posted in there. There's not a lot of activity where i posted though.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 PM

584 posts, read 909,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
We live in a 55+ WITHOUT golf course (but we ARE a golf cart community which is gated). Lots of amenities, lots to do, you can do as much or as little as you wish. WE maintain our own yards (altho about 4 different "contractors" seem to have quite the schedule worked out and I would say 90% of us have our yards on every 2 week maintenance with them) and we are moments from any shopping you need (2 stop signs now, vs none 6 yrs ago, still not a single light between us and the Alamo Ranch Shopping Center). Would not want to live anywhere else! NO vandalism, no graffiti, no noise issues, everyone knows everyone and those outrageous HOA fees to maintain all this??? $115 per month for 2 outdoor pools, and Olympic indoor pool/indoor/outdoor hot tubs, pickle ball court, several tennis courts, horseshoe court, grand ball room for events, private library, gym with all PRECOUR equipment with flat screen TV's, indoor walking area for inclement weather, full exercise room with all the balls,steps, resistance ropes you could want, private message area,more than 12 miles of outside "trails" to walk and staff to keep you happy and all kinds of travel, exercise, explore, enjoy opportunities you might want to enjoy! We have no golf course, but we do have an agreement with the Hyatt Hill Country Golf Club giving those who want to enjoy golf the opportunity to do so, and a VERY active golf group here. It is wonderful, have lived here more than 6 yrs, do not rule one out!!!! We are just down the road, maybe you should consider SA Hill Country Retreat!
Paka,

Interesting.

If you don't mind...tell me/us more.
I know it's in Bexar county, but where exactly? Is there a webpage?

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Paka,

Interesting.

If you don't mind...tell me/us more.
I know it's in Bexar county, but where exactly? Is there a webpage?

Thanks.

Here is the website to see our "area".

Active Adult Retirement Communities | Hill Country Retreat | San Antonio, TX | Del Webb New Home Builders

We are in the Alamo Ranch Area, so not IN San Antonio (we are now working on trying to become our own, incorporated area as AR has a LOT of new neighborhoods, us being one, and combined hopefully will be remaining a "bedroom" community to San Antonio proper keeping taxes lower and giving us more say in "our" community) and on the NW side of town.

I think the website will answer about any questions you might have, but if there are others, feel free to ask.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:54 PM

584 posts, read 909,047 times
Thank you Paka.

I will look it over.

Searching for a place to retire in a near future (1-2 years max.)

Old 05-11-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cholo57 View Post
Thank you Paka.

I will look it over.

Searching for a place to retire in a near future (1-2 years max.)

It is a wonderful place!!! I love the fact we have none of the street noise, the crime, the other things that seem to come with a big city (and yet we are the 7th largest city in the nation) in our little "neck of the woods". Not to mention, when sitting out in the back deck, we still see fireflies and all kinds of birds and just peaceful existence all so close to anything you could want that I feel we have the best of both worlds going on.

Have no idea where you would be coming from, but we get a LOT of sunshine, warm summer, but winters are normally mild....we enjoy it for sure! When all the "kin folk" up north are whining about shoveling snow, not being able to get out, blizzard conditions and ice all over the place, we are normally running the A/C wearing shorts and T-Shirts!

Old 05-11-2015, 05:47 PM

14,260 posts, read 24,000,210 times
Two points.

First, just because I live in a 55+ community does NOT mean that we are locked behind some walls and can not join the larger community. I volunteer at one of the local high schools and have as much interaction with younger people that I want. Also, we selected a church where the average age in something like 25 or 30. You are only as isolated as you choose to be.

Second, When selecting a 55+ only community, we intentionally selected a community that was independent of any golf courses. We have always seen golf courses to be like boats - large holes where you have to dump $$$s into constantly. We had NO intention of subsidizing or contribution to any golf clubs as we have no interest.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:05 PM

28,242 posts, read 39,908,153 times
After looking for years we landed in a 55+.

So far things have been somewhat slow on the meet and greet front, but that's because we are focusing so much of our time on the house. That will change by the end of summer. We have gone to a couple of Boomer meetings (one today) and everyone we met was wonderful. That's been our experience whenever we meet people here. There are a lot of things to do if you want to.

The HOA is not overly strict, which we like, but homes and yards are not allowed to show disrepair.

We are slower adjusting to the major change in weather and culture than finding people to meet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or