U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,310,108 times

Advertisements

Do they take into consideration they type of people that are at these communities when making the list? Are their cliques, gossipy groups, friendly people, egotistical types? Believe that is important when looking for a community...the people and that you can only judge by visiting and making your own judgements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 12:49 PM

1,983 posts, read 2,632,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
Can't resist picking on you, but only half the people are looking for better than average; that's how averaging works.
But there isn't a single property in the entire Pan Handle of FL (Tallahassee, Panama City Beach, Destin, Pensacola and a host of smaller destinations) listed. I doubt there are none that meet their high standards. They seem to have good info on the properties listed in their sparse collection though.
So where are the listings for the slightly-below-average places? I'd be willing to take a look at them, and judge for myself.

Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
So where are the listings for the slightly-below-average places? I'd be willing to take a look at them, and judge for myself.
I have been using Zillow and CL to find listings of individual properties and then looking at the communities they are in. The site discussed earlier is not leaving places out based solely on quality. There are very posh places in the FL Panhandle. It just doesn't seem to be very complete.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:05 PM

28,231 posts, read 39,872,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
Can't resist picking on you, but only half the people are looking for better than average; that's how averaging works.
But there isn't a single property in the entire Pan Handle of FL (Tallahassee, Panama City Beach, Destin, Pensacola and a host of smaller destinations) listed. I doubt there are none that meet their high standards. They seem to have good info on the properties listed in their sparse collection though.
The page I linked to is about getting a site added. If the people who run the ones in that area don't have enough gumption to do so perhaps you should inform them, or ask that they be added yourself.

I hardly consider their collection to be sparse.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...nt+communities

Old 05-21-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The page I linked to is about getting a site added. If the people who run the ones in that area don't have enough gumption to do so perhaps you should inform them, or ask that they be added yourself.

I hardly consider their collection to be sparse.
Really? When I said there are no listings in the Florida Panhandle, I mean zero. Zoom in on the map and look. There should be over a hundred if it were complete, probably way over. They don't have a single one. Why should I spend my days doing their job?

Old 05-21-2015, 07:06 PM

Meh

Old 05-22-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Meh
Not sure what you mean by that. Maybe FL is unimportant to you. I truly wish you were right and that site were complete. I have nothing against them.

It is odd that there doesn't seem to be a very complete registry. I found a couple specific to FL that had plenty of listings in the Panhandle but they appeared to be a bit slanted toward the very high end. About the best results I have found so far are at www.seniorhousingnet.com which is part of realtor.com. I found that if I do a search for a given city under one of their tabs (like 55+) and go to the map view, I can zoom out and pan around and it updates to other areas. But that still didn't work as well as using Google to look for the specific city, state and terms like "active adult" or "senior living". I have also found that when searching for properties on CL or Zillow, looking for things like "clubhouse" helped me find communities as opposed to just neighborhoods.

Old 05-22-2015, 09:52 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Friends of ours just sold their big home and are moving to a fabulous location, a 55+ condo. It is not a "retirement community" with pool and golf and social activities, etc, just simply a one-floor condo in a complex that is age-restricted. I like that idea a lot. When I look online for listings of such condos, all I come up with is the usual "retirement communities" with all the bells and whistles with a pretty steep pricetag. The pricetag of course includes all these amenities, which we do not want. Does anyone know how to find listings (by state) of condos that are simply age restricted??

Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 AM

6,119 posts, read 9,071,114 times
NEgirl; I can't answer that but I do know the epcon communities are probably what you are thinking of. Epcon Communities | Where Life Comes Together
They all are condos, no yards, all one level, have a clubhouse (small) and seem to be mostly retirees, although not specifically age restricted.
You get a low fenced patio, abundant greenery, (no deserts) and they are in many states. If I could decide which state I want to be in, I would look at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or