U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 09:31 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times

Advertisements

If this topic has been discussed before, please re-direct me to that thread

Does anyone here live in one of those 55+ communities? What are the pros/cons? We got an ad in the mail for one, and think we might visit this weekend. No way are we buying anything now, just window-shopping, but it will make a nice outing, at least!

They appear to be single, detached homes, all one-story, universal design (ie, handicapped accessible), limit to 55 and older. I wonder how restrictive they are? do they have rules more restrictive than a prison? What is the resale value? What about inheritance---can we leave it to our kids, or are we restricted to someone 55+? Are they full of old people on walkers, or do you feel you are in, as they describe, an "active, vibrant community"? Do they limit how many dogs/cats you can have?

Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 09:59 PM

13,161 posts, read 20,780,088 times
There is no one model. My mother lives in one with no amenities beyond yard maintenance, exterior painting every few years, and trash pickup. There are rules about pets, I have never seen anybody out walking with more than one, but I'm not sure if that's the limit.

My brother is building in a Del Webb community. They advertise loads of activities, and the HOA fees reflect them.

My friend inherited her aunt's condo in a 55+ building, and she can sell it, rent it for no less than 3 months at a time, or use it herself. However, since she's 49, she can only reside there 6 non-consecutive weeks per year.

All very different. I don't have any desire to go that route, but if I did, I would check out the demographics carefully. In my mother's case, all the residents appear to be well past 55, more like 80. My parents moved there when they were in their mid 70s.

Old 05-07-2015, 10:02 PM

5,236 posts, read 3,010,111 times
We just moved from a 55+ in Arizona to one in Florida. They are not all the same. In AZ we were in a community of almost 30,000 retirees. Most were in private homes and some were in townhouses. There were also assisted living facilities. There were no more than 10 homes with more than one floor. None had basements, all had garages. Golf was a source of friction because there were 7 expensive golf courses and only 25% of the residents were golfers. It was an unincorporated area and the roads were county.

Our new to us home in FL is in a gated community of mostly 3 story apartment style buildings. The streets are private and each unit has an assigned parking space out front.

I have visited other communities that are different from these. You can look at a lot of photos on Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments & Houses for Rent - realtor.com® of places anywhere in the country.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:50 PM

9,678 posts, read 15,855,639 times
I strive to be optimistic and indeed, there are a lot of good years ahead for me. Alas, I have many health problems and mobility related issues. I f outlive DH, I will need to be in a controlled environment, something not to difficult to maintain, easy to navigate, not too big, around others I can socialize with, something with on-site services such as social, minor medical, etc. This place would preferably have lawn maintenance included as I'm not able to do that now I have nightmares about dying in a bleak, uncaring nursing home.

Like I said, we're just beginning to scratch the surface of this type of environment We recently ---as in about a week ago---moved from a 5bdr 3/bath to a 2/bdr 1.5 bath apt. We jettisoned a lot of stuff along the way, a sort of pre-retirement downsize.Even though we still have waaaaaay too much stuff, I tell myself everything I got rid of now is stuff I won't have to cope with later! Right now I'm living surrounded by boxes. the cats think its neat, a whole new world for them to explore

It might be goof for me to look into a situation where I can move within the community as my needs change. Saturday we're going to explore a newly-built community, I don't think much is built out yet. Its in the North of Round Rock, east of I-35. Anyone familiar with this development?My DH thinks there are many job opportunities for retired engineers, part-time and contract. I would like to finish up my master's in Spanish and teach at a local community college. All just ideas for right now. Only problems with these homes, they are in Williamson County, which has some of the highest taxes and utilities in the nation

Oh, well, gotta start looking somewhere!

Old 05-08-2015, 05:22 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
The difference between an active 55 plus community and the outside word is in a 55 plus, you have someone telling you how to direct your energies. We live in one now and we're finding that our social life comes mostly from outside the gates. People here tend to limit themselves to what's on the monthly calender. Spontaneity is an unknown and oddball characteristic here.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:13 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
---can we leave it to our kids, or are we restricted to someone 55+?
Excellent question, never thought of that. You can probably leave it to the kids, but they will have to sell it. Most likely renters not allowed.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:37 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,479,637 times
Quote:
I strive to be optimistic and indeed, there are a lot of good years ahead for me. Alas, I have many health problems and mobility related issues. I f outlive DH, I will need to be in a controlled environment, something not to difficult to maintain, easy to navigate, not too big, around others I can socialize with, something with on-site services such as social, minor medical, etc. This place would preferably have lawn maintenance included as I'm not able to do that now I have nightmares about dying in a bleak, uncaring nursing home.

Like I said, we're just beginning to scratch the surface of this type of environment We recently ---as in about a week ago---moved from a 5bdr 3/bath to a 2/bdr 1.5 bath apt. We jettisoned a lot of stuff along the way, a sort of pre-retirement downsize.Even though we still have waaaaaay too much stuff, I tell myself everything I got rid of now is stuff I won't have to cope with later! Right now I'm living surrounded by boxes. the cats think its neat, a whole new world for them to explore

It might be goof for me to look into a situation where I can move within the community as my needs change. Saturday we're going to explore a newly-built community, I don't think much is built out yet. Its in the North of Round Rock, east of I-35. Anyone familiar with this development?My DH thinks there are many job opportunities for retired engineers, part-time and contract. I would like to finish up my master's in Spanish and teach at a local community college. All just ideas for right now. Only problems with these homes, they are in Williamson County, which has some of the highest taxes and utilities in the nation

Oh, well, gotta start looking somewhere!
I suggest you ask about this in the Austin forum. Even the RE Agents are calling the Austin area RE market "frothy". The speculators have descended and there's bidding wars, etc. on RE.

And traffic is a nightmare getting anywhere. You should also definitely check out the area during the week.

I left the Austin area when I retired due to the high COL and rising taxes. The COL is at 138% right now.
When I first moved there in 1996 my RE taxes were $2K. When I left in 2011 my taxes were $7K and my old home now has taxes of $9K.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:40 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
There are many different 55+ communities, with as many variables as you can imagine. Many of your questions can be answered by the management. The ones that cannot be answered are whether they're ACTIVE seniors or INACTIVE. A friend moved into one in NJ and said it was like living in God's waiting room. People just sat in their homes, didn't socialize and activities weren't available. Another friend moved into one and loves it. Busy all the time and has made wonderful friends. So you should look into the activity level (by visiting) yourself.
55+ Communities

Old 05-08-2015, 09:00 AM

4,539 posts, read 4,829,942 times
Quote:
If this topic has been discussed before, please re-direct me to that thread

Does anyone here live in one of those 55+ communities? What are the pros/cons? We got an ad in the mail for one, and think we might visit this weekend. No way are we buying anything now, just window-shopping, but it will make a nice outing, at least!

They appear to be single, detached homes, all one-story, universal design (ie, handicapped accessible), limit to 55 and older. I wonder how restrictive they are? do they have rules more restrictive than a prison? What is the resale value? What about inheritance---can we leave it to our kids, or are we restricted to someone 55+? Are they full of old people on walkers, or do you feel you are in, as they describe, an "active, vibrant community"? Do they limit how many dogs/cats you can have?

Opinions?
Biggest issue is when it was built.

My Aunt moved into a brand new 55 community near her that was high end. Meaning homes were priced at 500K to 900k. That was in 2003. Everyone was young and hip and hardly any turnover.

Today they are starting to already getting the ambulences and nurses aids slowly start to appear and by 2033 my Aunt jokes it will be a morgue of an old age home with everything oudated.

My realtor told me pick the hippest, coolest, youngest, newest 55 plus community and compare it to the oldest outdated 55 plus community in town.

Now time travel 25 years into the future and the tables have turned.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:05 AM

4,539 posts, read 4,829,942 times
In NY State a 55+ community gates a significant real estate tax break as they do not allow any children under 18 in complex or to be enrolled in school district.

Do they do that in other states? If not what is the purpose of a 55+ community. The condo, Coop and HOA developments near me generally attract older folks to begin with. I say the average age of the non 55+ community near me is around 65. The 55+ community is like average age 75.

I also have a 65+ community near me. That really is Gods waiting room. Well actually they keep the heat very high there so maybe it is Hells waiting room and they are trying to get used to the Heat ahead of time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or