U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 11:33 PM

9,596 posts, read 10,949,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's an inactive senior community up the hill from my house. It's called the St. Francis Cemetery, and believe me they don't do much. (:
If all of the burials were old enough that the next generation or two were dead but they weren't old enough to excite historical interest it would be a pleasant and peaceful place to live. A crypt-like cottage built into a hillside that would later serve as a real crypt would be delightful.

I once had two dogs who loved to romp in a small country graveyard. They thought that the upright gravestones were superb.

If I had to live in a 55+ compound I'd pick one with a name such as Twilight Valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 AM

6,855 posts, read 3,884,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Yeah, I did, and I was doing my best to sound funny. Guess you didn't think it was.
Actually I thought it was very funny! My response (post 2) was supposed to be sarcastic too!

Old 05-09-2015, 06:36 AM

4,492 posts, read 4,753,674 times
Seriously? Really? You have to ask permission? Heavens.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:51 AM

950 posts, read 540,567 times
I know someone who bought into a 55+ community, and he forgot to check around before he bought a house. He is decades younger than most of the inhabitants, and probably even younger than the "youthful," happy, golf-playing, drink guzzling "seniors" who are on the sales brochures....

Old 05-09-2015, 08:03 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,185,331 times
[quote=tijlover;39531866]I haven't decided yet if I want to be in an active or inactive senior community!

I worry about joining one of the advertised active senior communities, and decide, at some point in time, perhaps after only living there a week or 2, that I've elected to be a lazy, inactive senior. What might be the repercussions? Could I be forced to move, being a bad influence on the active seniors?

How about the pressure in these communities? Is there a Neighborhood Watch?

"Hey you! I'm with Neighborhood Watch, and I've been watching you the past 2 weeks, sitting out on your patio, eating too many sacks of potato chips and cartons of ice cream, and you even dragged your TV outside! Haven't seen you walking about, jogging, swimming, playing tennis or coming to the community center for yoga sessions! You're in the wrong place! You should be evicted! Shame on you!"

And? If I select an inactive senior community, and suddenly change my mind and decide to be a more active senior in this community, will I undergo the same pressure, of a different kind?

"Hey you! I see you jogging by my house one more time, I'm going to sic my pit bull on you!"

Decisions, decisions!!![/quote

When I get ready to "really" retire, I am going to spend a year full time on a Carnival Cruise ship where everything is done for you....You can play with the young-uns or relax in a deck chair with the old-uns.....There are many "retired" people that are doing this right now..They worked a $$ deal with the Cruise ship line.......The beauty of the whole deal is that you can disembark and call it quits whenever the time pleases you.....

Old 05-09-2015, 08:18 AM

1,469 posts, read 861,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's an inactive senior community up the hill from my house. It's called the St. Francis Cemetery, and believe me they don't do much. (:

Tried to rep you again for your ROTHLMAO comment but I guess I already gave you too many already!! Good One, I almost spit my morning coffee across the room!!!

Old 05-09-2015, 09:44 AM

4,556 posts, read 5,480,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Good one! And you are right the HOA does monitor the activity level of residents. Beware!
The HOA monitors your activity, bank balance, and if you are fortunate....checks to see if you still have a pulse.

Old 05-09-2015, 04:52 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,247,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
"Hey you! I'm with Neighborhood Watch, and I've been watching you the past 2 weeks, sitting out on your patio, eating too many sacks of potato chips and cartons of ice cream, and you even dragged your TV outside! Haven't seen you walking about, jogging, swimming, playing tennis or coming to the community center for yoga sessions! You're in the wrong place! You should be evicted! Shame on you!"
My answer ....
"All that hot air spewing out of your mouth is causing global warming. You should be evicted!"

Old 05-09-2015, 08:42 PM

17,442 posts, read 21,283,365 times
I created this post as both comic and serious! My concern is the suspected pressure from the residents in a community advertised as active. I've seen the advertisements, and haven't seen one yet, with someone with a cigarette dangling from their lips, and I have no intention yet of giving up my occasional smokes during my retirement years. I can just see myself, sitting on my front door porch, smoking a cigar, a couple walking by, and giving me the looks that could kill, or a lecture!

And all those amenities come at a price, through higher HOA fees, and I have to ask myself, how many of those amenities am I going to use? Right now, I live in a townhouse complex, with 2 pools, and I never use them! Partly due to a germ phobia of sharing a pool with so many other people! For all I know, someone who hasn't bathed in a week, jumped into that pool, or urinated in it!

But I did expect more imaginative comic responses to my post, like surveillance cameras to monitor how active or inactive the members are in active communities.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:37 PM

6,855 posts, read 3,884,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I created this post as both comic and serious! My concern is the suspected pressure from the residents in a community advertised as active. I've seen the advertisements, and haven't seen one yet, with someone with a cigarette dangling from their lips, and I have no intention yet of giving up my occasional smokes during my retirement years. I can just see myself, sitting on my front door porch, smoking a cigar, a couple walking by, and giving me the looks that could kill, or a lecture!

And all those amenities come at a price, through higher HOA fees, and I have to ask myself, how many of those amenities am I going to use? Right now, I live in a townhouse complex, with 2 pools, and I never use them! Partly due to a germ phobia of sharing a pool with so many other people! For all I know, someone who hasn't bathed in a week, jumped into that pool, or urinated in it!

But I did expect more imaginative comic responses to my post, like surveillance cameras to monitor how active or inactive the members are in active communities.
Some have germ phobias, some have cigar smoke phobias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or