U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 09:40 AM

92 posts, read 97,231 times

Advertisements

...it's worth a shot!

Ideally, I would like an area in the western half of the country (AZ, NV, CO, etc.), not a big city, but more of a suburb (so you can get to a city if you'd like), with four seasons and with a condo or townhouse in a nice, clean area under 200K. Also, low taxes and not months of rain, as in the Pacific Northwest. Winter is fine and appreciated. Most places I've investigated have real estate prices that don't correspond to reality or very high HOA fees, etc.

I know it's a lot to ask, but you never know...!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,037,333 times
Living with desert dry is not for everyone either.

You would probably do best to narrow down areas and then narrow the focus from there. Northern AZ is very different from southern AZ. Sedona and Prescott are more the middle ground. You might like that area, it is too much winter for me.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 AM

92 posts, read 97,231 times
I've looked at Sedona, Flagstaff, Prescott. Real estate prices are way too high for what you get. For me, not enough cold weather, but I could get by.

Tye desert would be my last choice, but I may have no choice.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:16 AM

6,628 posts, read 3,693,281 times
I'm always singing the praises of New Mexico but in your case it sounds like a place you should look at. Rio Rancho is just northwest of Albuquerque and about 45 minutes from Santa Fe (there's a commuter train) and it has almost perfect four season weather and low humidity. This is high desert with about 10 inches of rain a year. Summer temps can reach 100 one or two days and winters can be brisk with a few days in the teens. Morning snow melts by 2 PM. I've never looked at condos so I can't share info on that. Cost of living is low. Culturally diverse...but with only two million people in the state so it isn't like California or the east coast but it has everything you would need other than a sea shore (we have the sand but no ocean). The majority of the state's population is in the Rio Grande valley. New Mexico politics is somewhat balanced but leans toward the liberal side.

There is also Las Cruces farther south near El Paso but I find the northern half of the state suits me better...others would probably disagree.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:52 AM

6,345 posts, read 5,081,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Living with desert dry is not for everyone either.

You would probably do best to narrow down areas and then narrow the focus from there. Northern AZ is very different from southern AZ. Sedona and Prescott are more the middle ground. You might like that area, it is too much winter for me.
oh yes, I just got back from Phoenix and it was AWFUL! For some unknown reason we are having a very mild and wet spring here in south texas. AC barely comes on.

But Phoenix was 100 degrees!!! I would not live there unless I was very well off and could live in extreme comfort and not have to leave the house.

And I thought I wanted to move there. I've made many trips to the area during my air force career. Stayed for months at a time even during the summer. I don't know why it hit me like this - hated it.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsl6 View Post
...it's worth a shot!

Ideally, I would like an area in the western half of the country (AZ, NV, CO, etc.), not a big city, but more of a suburb (so you can get to a city if you'd like), with four seasons and with a condo or townhouse in a nice, clean area under 200K. Also, low taxes and not months of rain, as in the Pacific Northwest. Winter is fine and appreciated. Most places I've investigated have real estate prices that don't correspond to reality or very high HOA fees, etc.

I know it's a lot to ask, but you never know...!

Thanks!
move to south padre island texas or Port Isabel, Texas

Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,462,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
move to south padre island texas or Port Isabel, Texas
Oh yeah, that really has four seasons and winter is appreciated.........

Old 05-08-2015, 11:04 AM

8,871 posts, read 5,154,226 times
Reno mostly fits your criteria. Sacramento is 2 hours away, San Francisco is 4.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Oh yeah, that really has four seasons and winter is appreciated.........
he thinks he wants winter. There is nowhere he or she can go to get four seasons.

The best thing is to just move around to different parts of the country and follow the weather you want.

That is what I plan on doing in a few years.

Old 05-08-2015, 11:43 AM

Look, snow on a south texas beach - 2004

South TX White Christmas 2004

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement