Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 12:37 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times

Advertisements

I haven't decided yet if I want to be in an active or inactive senior community!

I worry about joining one of the advertised active senior communities, and decide, at some point in time, perhaps after only living there a week or 2, that I've elected to be a lazy, inactive senior. What might be the repercussions? Could I be forced to move, being a bad influence on the active seniors?

How about the pressure in these communities? Is there a Neighborhood Watch?

"Hey you! I'm with Neighborhood Watch, and I've been watching you the past 2 weeks, sitting out on your patio, eating too many sacks of potato chips and cartons of ice cream, and you even dragged your TV outside! Haven't seen you walking about, jogging, swimming, playing tennis or coming to the community center for yoga sessions! You're in the wrong place! You should be evicted! Shame on you!"

And? If I select an inactive senior community, and suddenly change my mind and decide to be a more active senior in this community, will I undergo the same pressure, of a different kind?

"Hey you! I see you jogging by my house one more time, I'm going to sic my pit bull on you!"

Decisions, decisions!!!

Last edited by tijlover; 05-08-2015 at 12:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2015, 12:46 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Yeah, the pressures during retirement are almost unbearable! It wears you out!

Old 05-08-2015, 06:16 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
There's an inactive senior community up the hill from my house. It's called the St. Francis Cemetery, and believe me they don't do much. (–:

Old 05-08-2015, 06:33 AM

9,324 posts, read 16,663,180 times
Don't think it's a serious concern. You can do what you want, when you want, where you want. OR NOT. Doubt anyone cares. Some people like certain activities and others don't. Thankfully all people are not the same.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:06 AM

35,071 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I don't think anyone can prohibit you from being inactive.

Old 05-08-2015, 08:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,798,443 times
The trick/point is not to pay for much more than you will use but making sure there is ample opportunity to do the things that you certainly or possibly will want to do. Get a newsletter with calendar from a few places and look through it and see how many things on their list of activities you would likely try and what things you have no interest in. The facilities and staff for some of these activities are not cheap and they pass the cost along. But make sure there are activities you would enjoy.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:16 AM

11,128 posts, read 9,756,639 times
Some communities are sort of like all-inclusive vacations. You pay for the whole shebang in your HOA dues, whether you use it or not. Others are more like "a la carte". You pay low HOA dues and then pay for amenities separately...such as recreation/gym membership, dock fees, golf fees, etc.

I like to think of it like a restaurant, do you want to pay for the all you can eat buffet if you're only hungry for a lite lunch? And what if you are more active in your early retirement and as your health goes downhill and you no longer use those amenities? You don't want to be stuck having to pay for them.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:58 AM

1,544 posts, read 1,699,800 times
Thanks for the giggle - let me know if you find a place.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:06 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,509,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I haven't decided yet if I want to be in an active or inactive senior community!

I worry about joining one of the advertised active senior communities, and decide, at some point in time, perhaps after only living there a week or 2, that I've elected to be a lazy, inactive senior. What might be the repercussions? Could I be forced to move, being a bad influence on the active seniors?

How about the pressure in these communities? Is there a Neighborhood Watch?

"Hey you! I'm with Neighborhood Watch, and I've been watching you the past 2 weeks, sitting out on your patio, eating too many sacks of potato chips and cartons of ice cream, and you even dragged your TV outside! Haven't seen you walking about, jogging, swimming, playing tennis or coming to the community center for yoga sessions! You're in the wrong place! You should be evicted! Shame on you!"

And? If I select an inactive senior community, and suddenly change my mind and decide to be a more active senior in this community, will I undergo the same pressure, of a different kind?

"Hey you! I see you jogging by my house one more time, I'm going to sic my pit bull on you!"

Decisions, decisions!!!
I think you can go anywhere you want and do anything you want.

Only thing is the active communities probably have more fees.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:10 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There's an inactive senior community up the hill from my house. It's called the St. Francis Cemetery, and believe me they don't do much. (–:
Very funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement