U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:58 AM

6,353 posts, read 5,157,447 times

Advertisements

I've thought about it. I am spending upward of $10,000 annually on a seasonal rental in coastal southern California, and for $25,000-ish i could lease a place. If I could collect some sublet rent it would reduce the cost, but it's hard to find a place that allows sublessors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 09:11 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,378,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
We secured our rental for next winter before we left Florida to come home. Tell your sister to wait. Owners get desperate when their place is still vacant and winter draws near. They start lowering the price and throwing in days. But the OP is asking about year round rentals, unfurnished. Those rent for pretty cheap money.
^^This!^^ I was told by a friend that the BEST time to look for a place for "snowbirds" is as they get ready to migrate back to their northern homes. Said that when the husband dies while down there, the widow will often stay the rest of the winter, but then wants to get rid of the place (or RV especially!) vs driving it back or having it to deal with. She said there were LOTS of bargins in AZ, FL and places like that come spring time, mostly because of widows trying to take get rid of something their husband would have taken care of normally.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:12 AM

480 posts, read 399,417 times
I own a condo on a barrier island in FL and rent it out year-round (for now - eventually I'll take it back for personal use). Market rent is far less than it costs to own the place, especially factoring in property manager/tenant finder costs. (Yes, some people find their own tenants but that doesn't appeal to me). Insurance is particularly expensive ($4000 a year for a small condo, and it goes up every year).

Given how cheap the rent is, the least the tenants can do is be there year-round to keep the interior temp at a reasonable level, and to identify any maintenance issues or problems that crop up (for example, if the neighbor's washing machine leaks into our unit, which has happened). A property manager isn't going to find out that issue in time to keep it from becoming a disaster. Frankly, I would be unhappy if the tenants went away for months at a time. But some landlords may not care, as long as that monthly check arrives on time.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:14 AM

480 posts, read 399,417 times
Uh-oh. Maybe men shouldn't go for these "bargains." Sounds like there's something in the air or water that's killing off the men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
when the husband dies while down there, the widow will often stay the rest of the winter,.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:27 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,315,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We were considering getting a seasonal rental in Florida for next winter. Then we looked at the prices for those rentals!

So it got me wondering: Does anybody rent a house or a condo or an apartment on an annual lease, buy some cheap furniture, then use it primarily for the winter months? Doing the numbers, this conceivably be cheaper than just renting a seasonal furnished place for 3-4 months. And would allow us to use it during the summer/off-season if we wanted.

Thoughts?
Unfortunately FL winter rentals are very high as most of the snow birds up and down the east coast and Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota along with Canadians head south for the winter. We are snow birds who winter in the FL Keys in a motorhome and it is expensive especially for Jan and Feb. Northern FL is less costly and cheaper than southern FL. There are people who rent their "sites" annually because it is more cost effective and they have trailers which they store in FL for the summer.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:16 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,381,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Don't forget to count in all the "Holding" costs,

Power, Gas... Even if you are not there, will run you Service Fees, and minimal Heating/Cooling cost even if you keep the Temp's low/high.

Water/Sewer, normally have Service / Minimum usage fees.

Cable/Internet (Phone) turn on/off fees.

HOA dues

Home Owner Ins, Rate will be higher if you are not there most of the time, Most Ins Companies conceder it a vacant rate if you are gone more then two or three months.

Cost of all the extra stuff you have to buy to stay there, If you are there for months at a time do, you really want cheap furniture?

If something goes wrong, who is Local to handle it, Are you willing to Jump on a plane next day to fly down and handle it. If a hurricane is a brewing, who will put up the "storm" gear to protect/Secure it, who will check on it after the storm?
Two years ago that was our plan, having two places one being just north of the Florida state line for winter and the other being back home in the great lakes region.

Not going to do it, just can't afford it. Well, I suppose we could afford it if we watched our other spending but I am not one to want to watch spending in the last years of my life.

All the expenses; $1,000/year for property taxes, $500 for homeowners insurance, $600 for someone to mow the lawn in the summer while we are not here, $300 for exterminator for the months we are not here, $800 for minimum utilities for when we are not here (you do not simply shut them all off or your house will warp in summer). That is $3,000 or better when we are not here and add to this all the other costs and what if's and it just isn't worth it.

Here is what I am looking at, condo rental in Sarasota in January through February.

Quote:
Quaint 2nd floor apartment located on our property, but with private entrance. Located on beautiful one acre lot with lots of oak trees and a serene pond with fish and turtles,Fully furnished, wide screen TV, internet, full private bath (bathtub and shower), Very Large bedroom with queen size bed (couch in living room also folds out) AC you control and ceiling fans. Huge screened patio with pool and jacuzzi. 15 minutes to beautiful Siesta and Lido Beaches. Free parking. Kitchenette with small fridge, microwave, coffee pot with coffee and cream, espresso machine, 2 burner hot plate, toaster oven, dishes and cooking utensils. Grill available on ...
For all of January and February it would run $8,571 at the daily rate and I am sure if you took a two or three month block it would be cheaper.

Is it expensive? I don't think so, it is certainly cheaper than owning and you don't have to deal with utilities, upkeep and all the other garbage that comes with owning a place. If you don't like the neighborhood simply never go back and when you are done with it you are done with it.

I betcha if you took a three month block, all of January, February and March, you could get it all for that $8,571 price. $95/day everything included isn't all that bad for the location.

Old 05-10-2015, 01:21 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,971,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
....yearly rentals are much , much lower than short term vacation, fully furnished rentals
Why would anyone want to rent in the South/FL year-round? That has got to be pretty expensive, considering you'd be there for less than half a year (?)

Old 05-10-2015, 01:25 PM

37,097 posts, read 45,622,935 times
I don't know of any, but we do have two sets of retired friends who live in FL. One couple rents a condo in Bonita Springs for 3 months every year, at $4500. a month ($13,500). One couple lives there year round in Sarasota, and they pay $1500. a month ($18k).
I would say that the condos are comparable. In this instance, the 3 month renters spend less. Neither couple plays golf so that would cost more.
Incidentally, My friend who is there Jan, Feb, March, says it is almost impossible to find a rental for less than three months, because most owners would rather rent all three months to one person.

Old 05-10-2015, 02:09 PM

15,068 posts, read 19,002,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Two years ago that was our plan, having two places one being just north of the Florida state line for winter and the other being back home in the great lakes region.

Not going to do it, just can't afford it. Well, I suppose we could afford it if we watched our other spending but I am not one to want to watch spending in the last years of my life.

All the expenses; $1,000/year for property taxes, $500 for homeowners insurance, $600 for someone to mow the lawn in the summer while we are not here, $300 for exterminator for the months we are not here, $800 for minimum utilities for when we are not here (you do not simply shut them all off or your house will warp in summer). That is $3,000 or better when we are not here and add to this all the other costs and what if's and it just isn't worth it.

Here is what I am looking at, condo rental in Sarasota in January through February.

For all of January and February it would run $8,571 at the daily rate and I am sure if you took a two or three month block it would be cheaper.

Is it expensive? I don't think so, it is certainly cheaper than owning and you don't have to deal with utilities, upkeep and all the other garbage that comes with owning a place. If you don't like the neighborhood simply never go back and when you are done with it you are done with it.

I betcha if you took a three month block, all of January, February and March, you could get it all for that $8,571 price. $95/day everything included isn't all that bad for the location.
I betcha your wrong. Plug in the numbers - Jan 1 to Feb 29 = $8429 (roughly $140/day). Jan 1 to March 31 - $12,857 (roughly $214/day). BTW, you do realize that the apt you linked to is actually IN somebody's house, right? The landlord is living in the house, too.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:04 PM

10,133 posts, read 12,381,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I betcha your wrong. Plug in the numbers - Jan 1 to Feb 29 = $8429 (roughly $140/day). Jan 1 to March 31 - $12,857 (roughly $214/day). BTW, you do realize that the apt you linked to is actually IN somebody's house, right? The landlord is living in the house, too.
Nope, I didn't spot that. Count me out.

OK, I have a retired friend that lives in a mobile home in West Palm Beach from November to sometime in the spring and for the money (he got in for $40,000 total) it's pretty decent.

Hey, it's a mobile home but when the temperature is negative 6 and the wind is blowing ice crystals at 30 mph in January this mobile home starts looking like a mansion.

It's Palm Lake Co-Op here on Google Maps.

It's a gated age 55 and over community so you're not dealing with a bunch of meth head hillbillies up with music all night. Here is the front entry.

Everyone owns, no rentals.

I see two on Zillow 4186 74th St N on the market for $35,000 and other at 4181 74th Rd N that is on the market for $43,500.

I will have to ask my buddy what he spends in specifics but knowing him it isn't a whole lot and he really loves it there. I will double check but I think the HOA is $150/mo and I am thinking my buddy told me it costs him under $500/month to live there and that is all association fees, insurance and all utilities including internet.

They have some that live there year around but a lot of them are snow birds as well. Yeah, mobile home but when you are in Wisconsin in January anyplace where it is 82 degrees gotta look and feel like a palace.

It's a co-op so it has a HOA and they have rules that keep the place pretty uncluttered and clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or