U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:09 AM

30,065 posts, read 47,312,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I don't know of any, but we do have two sets of retired friends who live in FL. One couple rents a condo in Bonita Springs for 3 months every year, at $4500. a month ($13,500). One couple lives there year round in Sarasota, and they pay $1500. a month ($18k).
I would say that the condos are comparable. In this instance, the 3 month renters spend less. Neither couple plays golf so that would cost more.
Incidentally, My friend who is there Jan, Feb, March, says it is almost impossible to find a rental for less than three months, because most owners would rather rent all three months to one person.
We have second home south of Sarasota. The condos that are rented out--either by owners who use property rest of the year or as a business property--are normally in an HOA/condo situation where the association's rules determine any rental possibility. MOST condo assoc allow ONLY month/3 mo seasonal rentals vs weekly or daily...
From what I can tell from postings on the Sarasota CD site--it is very rare to have short-term rental possibilities when someone buys a condo...
Our SIL had bought a small 1/1 condo across from the beach prior to his marriage to our daughter--
they lived there for over 5 yrs before buying a home and starting a family. He was upside down on condo so they have tried renting it and had some luck with that--but their unit is in condo assoc that does not allow pets of any type which restricts who might be interested...and they can only offer (legally) a 3 mo rental...

Even buying a home to be used for rental purposes can be constrained by the HOA rules of the neighborhood--
the better the neighborhood, the more restrictive the HOA regulations normally and some don't allow ANY commercial renting of homes...
AND it is very unlikely that if someone were to take out a 6-12 mo rent on property and then want to sub-let in months you would be gone that you could do that legally...

The current postings on the Sarasota site do refer to the increasing rent profile in the area and the fact that RE is doing very well--much more difficult for investors to find foreclosed properties to flip and for residents to find properties to buy and live in...
still many cash buyers competing for likely properties...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 08:15 AM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
^^This!^^ I was told by a friend that the BEST time to look for a place for "snowbirds" is as they get ready to migrate back to their northern homes. Said that when the husband dies while down there, the widow will often stay the rest of the winter, but then wants to get rid of the place (or RV especially!) vs driving it back or having it to deal with. She said there were LOTS of bargins in AZ, FL and places like that come spring time, mostly because of widows trying to take get rid of something their husband would have taken care of normally.

That is not always the case. In many cases, the widows decide to STAY in FL/AZ year around and sell off that summer cottage/main home up north that their husband insisted on keeping. I have at least three neighbors where the wife wants to stay year-round but the husband has to get home to friends.

If I was looking for a place, I would rather look at places that are currently rented out where the owner has not made an appearance for years. A good number of them want to get rid of the property and are less price sensitive.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:15 AM

1,827 posts, read 2,596,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
We secured our rental for next winter before we left Florida to come home. Tell your sister to wait. Owners get desperate when their place is still vacant and winter draws near. They start lowering the price and throwing in days. But the OP is asking about year round rentals, unfurnished. Those rent for pretty cheap money.
I hope you're right about late rentals for next year. I've secured a place for January but we wanted a different location for February and so far have been striking out. Don't want beach front but something in the Bradenton-Sarasota-Benice area. This past winter was the first time we went to Florida and was just exploring, three different areas two weeks each. We must have lucked out as we didn't look for places until early October. Not sure if I should trust doing that again or not. Does anyone know if there is a "sweet spot" time wise to snag a place if the arrangements aren't made immediately a year ahead?

Old 05-12-2015, 11:34 AM

41 posts, read 29,553 times
I think the OP needs to seriously evaluate where in FL he wants to winter as well as the likelihood of his using the apartment during the non-winter months if he were to rent on an annual basis. If he really wants to minimize his responsibilities even as a tenant, I think he would be better off renting an apartment as opposed to renting a condominium. Condominiums can be more difficult not only because of the condominium association rules that may restrict the number of months units can be rented, but also because they are individually owned and owners care more about whether the tenant is actually in the unit as opposed to gone much of the time. On the other hand, apartment complexes generally do not care so much about whether a tenant is physically present much of the time and, in a large complex, they may not even be aware. If all you have is some inexpensive furniture in the place, I do not think that you would worry about much other than a general renter's policy and making sure that the AC runs at a minimal level. In many of these complexes, water and garbage service is included in the rent. Again, much of this is determined by the precise location in FL being considered and the kinds of tenants/rental situations/demand, etc. the landlords are expecting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or