U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2015, 03:06 PM

12,223 posts, read 12,487,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
You keep talking about wages dropping, taking a dive, earning less, etc, etc. All of which is supposed to make a mortgage even harder to pay.

Unfortunately none of that is true. Wages have gone up very considerably for all workers even those in manufacturing or unskilled positions. For someone with a mortgage, the costs have become a much smaller portion of their pay.

None of this has much of anything to do with the original discussion.
You still haven't sorted out that the inflation hedge is buying a home, not holding a mortgage. The mortgage obligates you to pay far more than the purchase price, which negates most or all of the advantage of home appreciation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 03:13 PM

12,705 posts, read 9,961,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honobob View Post
Why don't YOU tell me what YOU think a REAL interest rate is so I don't have to deal with never ending convoluted back tracking.
Answer in riddles you always do why?
This discussion is pointless. I'm out.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:14 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,417,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
You still haven't sorted out that the inflation hedge is buying a home, not holding a mortgage. The mortgage obligates you to pay far more than the purchase price, which negates most or all of the advantage of home appreciation.
Only if you buy in a bad area. My first property was bought for $35,000 and the mortgage rate was 9%! I paid less than $35,000 in interest and yet the property is now worth $500,000+ and has produced almost the same in rent!. The mortgage was less than most peoples car payment in the last years thanks to inflation.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:15 PM

71,490 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:

if you can profit off the spread it is worth it.

but at this stage it may not be worth it.

jack bogle and others feel that at these valuations average returns are likely to be about 6% as an average for quite a while going forward . dividends typically represent 1/3 of market gains and dividends and interest rates track each other . with dividends at 2% equity returns should average out for at least the next 5 years to as long as a decade at around 6% . now that the retracement party is over forging forward historically takes a lot more time and effort for the markets. retracements are usually fast and easy in comparison.

could we do better ? sure we could but i would consider that an upside surprise as opposed to planning around 8% at this stage.

Add in taxes on gains and possibly not clearing the standard deduction to take the interest on the mortgage in retirement and that reduces it even more.

Throw in the fact a retiree will not be 100% in stock. A 50/50 mix may have stocks at 6% and bonds at 2.50% -4% over the next 5-7 years ..

That may not beat the mortgage. Especially if you have to sell equities at a loss to pay that mortgage.

we are considering buying a co-op but if we do we will pay cash. there isn't enough spread in taking a mortgage at this point to risk the fact we may make only 2% or 3% difference between the mortgage and our 50/50 mix . especially since the bull is long in the tooth and investments would have to be sold off possibly at a loss to pay for a mortgage i didn't need.

i borrowed a ton of money to invest in real estate ventures but it wasn't to make even a 5% difference , it was to make some pretty big dollars .

at this stage of our lives we made our money as investors and those aggressive days are not needed .

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-24-2015 at 03:39 PM..

Old 05-24-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
This discussion is pointless. I'm out.
ncole1, you've been out many posts ago and you just failed to realize it. I just wanted to see how far you would dig yourself in before you actually realized you had no supportable point.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM

6,223 posts, read 4,718,283 times
Quote:
Not when I have a return that is way beyond the cost of the mortgage. At the end of my 30 year mortgage I am likely to have 2 or 3 times the amount of the mortgage in my portfolio and that of course is after paying the principle and interest.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Some people don't understand how to compare real interest rates to real returns due to a lack of background in basic financial theory. It would be very time-consuming to try to explain all this, but I assure you that I have seen this misunderstanding come up over and over again. I don't know who started it, but it seems to have gone "viral".

Old 05-24-2015, 03:25 PM

71,490 posts, read 71,652,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Not when I have a return that is way beyond the cost of the mortgage. At the end of my 30 year mortgage I am likely to have 2 or 3 times the amount of the mortgage in my portfolio and that of course is after paying the principle and interest.
from your mouth to the market gods ears. that is for all our sake's.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
from your mouth to the market gods ears. that is for all our sake's.
I think jrkliny could make even more money by borrowing against the crystal ball.

Old 05-24-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think jrkliny could make even more money by borrowing against the crystal ball.
I thought you were out because the discussion was pointless! Oh, just back to make snipes. Funny how you can always make time for bad behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or