U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 AM

71,517 posts, read 71,694,121 times

Advertisements

Many times people shoot themselves in the foot accelerating the mortgage payments . They figure the will pay off the mortgage and then invest more for retirement.

But time is your biggest friend when dealing with market investments. By delaying you put more and more demand on a shorter time frame doing okay. Hit a 2000 style market that took 13 years to recover inflation adjusted and your results can be quite poor.

You always want to give yourself the most time you can.

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-20-2018 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 06:18 AM

46 posts, read 19,318 times
At 33 my house was paid of. Never went into debt again. never made more then $40000. I have 3m at the age of 65---one job, one house. one wife. retired at 55 with 1.5m

Old 09-20-2018, 06:33 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
It's really a question of cash flow and investment opportunity cost.

Old 09-20-2018, 06:37 AM

71,517 posts, read 71,694,121 times
It always is ..everything is always going to be at the expense of something else .

Old 09-20-2018, 07:47 AM

2,164 posts, read 1,265,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulburt1 View Post
At 33 my house was paid of. Never went into debt again. never made more then $40000. I have 3m at the age of 65---one job, one house. one wife. retired at 55 with 1.5m
Wow! Every single point in this statement puts you in the top 0.1% of success stories!! Congratulations. While Iíd love to know how you did it, its way too late for me. My path will end up as I had hoped, hopefully, but in a totally different sequence. No way I could have retired how I wanted at 55. And I sure didnít have 1.5M at that age (or now) despite making 3-4 times what you did.

Old 09-20-2018, 07:56 AM

1,423 posts, read 2,430,225 times
When I bought my first home, in my early 30's, the mortgage rate was 15% and I had a 15 year loan. Paid it off in 7 years. About 8 years later I bought my current home and paid cash. I prefer to be mortgage free, it just gives me more choices in life having one less monthly payment. I retired at 52.

Old 09-20-2018, 08:32 AM

185 posts, read 94,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Wow! Every single point in this statement puts you in the top 0.1% of success stories!! Congratulations. While Iíd love to know how you did it, its way too late for me. My path will end up as I had hoped, hopefully, but in a totally different sequence. No way I could have retired how I wanted at 55. And I sure didnít have 1.5M at that age (or now) despite making 3-4 times what you did.
That comment made me think about the poor 'cat' lady who died alone and left millions in the bank. Whatever makes you sleep better...

Old 09-20-2018, 08:36 AM

23,580 posts, read 17,553,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
This is the kind of stuff I don't buy on this forum.

You hear about these unbelievable amounts of wealth accumulation on what are very pedestrian incomes. Most people I know making $40,000 are just getting by. They might be saving enough to get their corporate match, if they have one, but they're not putting a lot back, much less paying a house off at 33 without some significant outside help.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 AM

3,431 posts, read 1,529,612 times
Hmm, haven't had a mortgage since 1987, now that I think of it. So I was 32. We took our SoCal house profits to CO and built our own place there with the proceeds. With our own hands....and have lived unconventionally since then.

I'd say the way it affected retirement was that it made it too easy to just skim by in life, instead of buckling down to put $$ away for the future. Without conventional corporate-type jobs, not much went to SS. I guess we had way too much fun, LOL.

But here we are, retired anyway, making it work.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:03 AM

6,241 posts, read 4,725,740 times
This thread has been alive for 3 years and 40 some pages of posts. I am probably repeating myself but I will add my comments.

First I try to make decisions based on analysis. If my gut feelings don't agree, I look for the explanations and try to arrive at a resolution. When it comes to debt, most of us were trained to avoid debt and it feels good not to have any debts. That made a lot of sense generations ago. If you owned the farm, you could always get by. But if the bank owned it you could lose it. Few if any of us are in that situation. Having a mortgage means less money tired up in a house. That can mean a bigger emergency fund, more money to invest or to spend before we die.

Here is my story for what it is worth. When I retired 8 years ago, we sold the house. We added the money to our investment portfolio and took off to explore the US in our RV. Three years later we resettled and instead of plowing our equity from the previous house back in to a new house, we took out a mortgage for $330K. In 5 years that $330K we invested has returned enough to cover the cost of the mortgage and to grow by $100K.

There are those who will say we were just lucky. Not really, it is a matter of math. We are dealing with a 30 year fixed mortgage at well below 4%. A balanced portfolio is going to return way more than that. Now there are some restrictions on being able to borrow and invest. First the rate needs to be low enough. As rates are now climbing well over 4%, it becomes harder to do this. Remember your investment returns not only need to cover the mortgage but they need to be able to pay down the principal as well. Secondly you cannot do this without risk if you are living on the edge and must get those returns every year to pay the mortgage.

Again, you are best off if you do the analysis instead of going by what feels good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or