Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2015, 05:46 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,082,094 times

Advertisements

Mathjak, as pessimistic as you are, I expect you to follow the advice of Pfau and pull most of your portfolio out of the stock market so you have minimal risk.

Personally I am not worried about valuations, P/E, the Shiller CAPE, or the sky-is-falling scenarios. With the previous GAAP changes valuations are near what will be the new norm. So what? Valuations in the mid region have not been useful for predicting future stock market trends or corrections. We are not in some sort of overbuying frenzy. In fact the opposite is true and investors are very cautious. The economy is in mid cycle with slow healing, slow growth and a long way to go.

I understand your concern. When I approached retirement, I was also worried about the future and the prospects of additional market corrections and widespread recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 05:50 AM

105,997 posts, read 107,954,552 times
you would be quite wrong . I am at 50/50 and staying at 50/50 although my choice in types of bond funds will likely change. never ever been a time I wasn't invested.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:15 AM

What happened to the "glide path." I thought you were going to follow Pfau and go to about 35% stocks?

Old 05-26-2015, 06:44 AM

the consensus after blanchett's study is rates on bonds are to low at this stage for a rising glide path at this point in the cycle..

not that there was a big difference between the conventional way and the rising glide path but ruling out a really nasty fall there wasn't enough advantage where rates are now.

so I raised it to 50/50 where I have been for a while.

both kitces and pfau were in agreement with blanchetts more extensive look in to the bond side and have since changed their views for now.

interesting study by blanchett if you google it.

blanchett found the conventional reducing equities as you age worked better in low interest rate scenario's.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:48 AM

2,091 posts, read 1,917,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if you had money of any great amount invested 15 years ago OR EARLIER - it hit a wall and died pretty much on the vine regardless of when you put it in prior.

only new money saw decent growth.
mathjak107,

I was curious about these statements so I looked up our financial records over the years. It just happened that my husband stopped contributing to one of his 401K accounts in 2000 (15 years ago) when he was laid off. He just left it there and never contributed a dime to it.

I have managed his account by loosely adhering to asset allocation and reducing exposure to stocks over the years. The current balance is 10x the value in 2000 so this 'old' pot of money did not die on the vine.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:54 AM

the s&p 500 after adjusting for inflation is up less than 2% including dividends. that is called real returns.

if he had other investments like bonds then that is a different asset class than just the s&p 500 and equities and results will be different , but just looking at the s&p 500 real return was way below average..

the nominal returns for equities were 6.07% cagr but were less than 2% once adjusted for inflation.

1.00 in jan 2000 grew to 1.85 in nominal terms by dec 2014 , 14 years later.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/market_cagr.htm

Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
the consensus after blanchett's study is rates on bonds are to low at this stage for a rising glide path at this point in the cycle..

not that there was a big difference between the conventional way and the rising glide path but ruling out a really nasty fall there wasn't enough advantage where rates are now.

so I raised it to 50/50 where I have been for a while.

both kitces and pfau were in agreement with blanchetts more extensive look in to the bond side and have since changed their views for now.

interesting study by blanchett if you google it.

blanchett found the conventional reducing equities as you age worked better in low interest rate scenario's.
Thanks, but I don't see a reason to chase after the most recent opinions from people who seem to be consistently wrong.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:02 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,469,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Which also means that except for 4 time frames investing the amount of a low cost mortgage will also work. At a minimum the income will pay off the mortgage and generate a couple of percent annual returns that can be spent. Personally I like to be more conservative and not spend the 2% for at least a few years to be absolutely sure that returns early on will carry through. I also understand that the 4% or even the 6.5% withdrawals are conservative. Changes are very good that I will earn substantially more money from the investment of my mortgage amount.
Thank you for finally admitting that you are not absolutely 100% certain that your mortgage strategy is the winning one.

*lets out big sigh of relief*

Old 05-26-2015, 07:04 AM

they are not wrong that often. nothing is ever right or wrong . there are different outcomes for different situations and market conditions.

what works when rates are higher may not work the best when they are lower. when stock valuations are higher things do not work as well as when they are lower.

refining things for conditions that never happened before is a work in progress not science.

never before have low rates and high valuations appeared together at the same time for any retiree group in 146 years of history,.

Old 05-26-2015, 07:07 AM

18,494 posts, read 15,469,192 times
Quote:
they are not wrong that often. nothing is ever right or wrong .
Then the statement that "nothing is ever right or wrong" is also not right or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement