U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:32 PM

7,629 posts, read 14,385,467 times

Advertisements

I have tried to be a decent, helpful person to those in need.

I am not a pushover, but am willing to do anything to help someone who is willing to help themselves.

If you are hungry on the street, while I WILL NOT give you $$$, I will hand you a McD gift card to grab something to put in your stomach.

I try to be a good mom and wife, but there are times you wonder if doing the right thing vs what they want you to do is correct....so I keep trying.

Try to give our grandbabies all the love they can take in, because they are sponges who will share that love later in life if they learn it young...so it is my way to continue giving even when I am gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 02:10 PM

6,296 posts, read 4,746,934 times
[quote=texdav;39601081]......I really don't see a history of religious violence in this country at all but politically based by fringe groups at the time.....quote]

Aside from systematic bigotry and suppression.....
In addition to implementing "blue" laws and other religious based suppression...
In addition to keeping Jews out of the Ivy League schools.....

We had also had some outright violence
Salem witch trials
1838 Mormon War
1855 Bloody Monday - only 22 killed
1958 Hebrew Congregation bombing
1991 Crown Heights Riot

Don't forget the Ku Klux Klan targeted Jews and Catholics, not just blacks.

Again, I suggest you take your religious opinions to the appropriate forum. We should not use this forum to discuss religious opinions, bigotry, violence, suppression and the dangers of group motivated behavior and thinking.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:16 PM

1,455 posts, read 1,157,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CP79 View Post
I am not a senior citizen ( late 30s here) but I feel as if I measure my own life strictly by how much I enjoy my time. Thats all.
I am entering the senior citizen phase and agree with you 100%.

I respect other posters' list of their life accomplishments and admire all the genius or dedicated people who have made lasting contributions to our society. For the vast majority of us, I think that we should not take ourselves too seriously.

The way I see it, regardless of our social economic status, how we each live our life and what we have done, from an organizational structure, our society is not much different than a beehive. The contribution of the worker bees is as important to the health and the survival of the colony as that of the queen bee or the drones.

The dumb worker bees just buzz around all day gathering nectar, doing their work. I am certain that they are quite oblivious of their contribution to the hive, nature & the human society (pollinating the crop, fruits, trees and producing honey).

My philosophy is live and let live, try to do no harms all the time, do some goods whenever I can but most importantly just enjoy life.

BTW, last weekend when stopping at a nearby airport to switch pilot's seat with my husband, I saw a sign in the FBO (fixed based operation - an airport office)' s bathroom: "Please leave this place cleaner than you found it". It reminded me of this quote below

Quote:
But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn come to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. Robert Baden-Powell
I picked up some used paper towel on the floor and rinsed off some dirts left in the sink. I left the bathroom cleaner than I found it and felt quite good about myself after doing these insignificant menial tasks ;-)

Old 05-13-2015, 02:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,854,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I find it hard to boast of my accomplishments. For everything I've done right, there are many instances where, despite my best intentions, I dropped the ball. I have completed no spectacular feats, or gained recognition for any great deed. Only the people and animals whose lives I have touched can verify whether my life was well lived or wasted.

The good works I did do were done out of love, and in which I have already been repaid many times over. I have children and grandchildren who adore me, and I have received the love of so many animals I have had the honor of helping and rescuing throughout my life. I only hope that when my time comes to stand before God in judgement, he knows my heart and spirit were always willing, but human frailties sometimes prevailed.
Good post! Results are not always within our sphere of control, but, the actions, effort and motivation are ours. Not many of us have the opportunity or ability to change the world, but, we can work on our own lives and do the best we can to help others. We 'judge' ourselves by the degree to which we trust God for the direction and path of our lives.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:20 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,681,631 times
Few people actually get to make a difference in the world. That's a pretty lofty goal. Maybe if you are a Jonas Salk or an Albert Schweitzer you can succeed in doing that but usually the only difference anyone makes is to themselves and the people around them.

I would hate to narrow my existence by proclaiming I had a "purpose" in life. That's just too confining a definition of one's being in my book. A fork has a purpose. A chair has a purpose. I am not a utilitarian object. I am a human being with goals and hopes who would like to get through the life I have been given to the best of my ability .

Whatever positive things I already have created and will create along the way either for myself or for anyone else along the way will be my accomplishments.

Old 05-13-2015, 05:16 PM

4,534 posts, read 7,326,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I often sit and wonder what I've accomplished in life. Nothing seems to register.

I do not subscribe to any one religion, but it's my belief that we're here to love life, love and take care of our earth, and find some way to feel close to a God/positive force of some kind...for me it's been through devotion to decency, lessons learned, following what Catholics would call Commandments (Buddhists: precepts), and loving even when it's hard to. All positive religions (those that don't promulgate meanness and death) basically say the same thing: love.
I think you are right. Imagine what the world would be like if more people shared this belief?

Old 05-13-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarian View Post
As a token 20-something (who came into this topic by happenstance), reading some of these responses is giving me a sense of dread. I'm uncomfortable with the idea of not being accomplished. I'm afraid of a day where I look back and question the worth of my life, and feel it wasn't worth living.

I dunno, maybe I should phrase it less as "not being accomplished", and more as "not mattering" or being of no consequence.
Be careful how you measure accomplishment and don't be so hard on yourself. While I agree with many posters, I would like to share something that started to occur to me about 10 years ago. And that is, while it's great if one has an opportunity to have a grand impact or achievement, not many people do. Of equal or maybe more value(?) IMO, are the "little" moments where you touch a life. This might be reminding a friend or colleague who is having a bad day that you are there for them, or how much you care for them, or complementing someone who is in a customer service position and the previous customer had laid into them. Or taking time to chat to the person in line at the store. Everyone needs love and kindness. If you promise yourself to do this for the rest of your life, you will have spread more light/love than someone who by a different measure is "accomplished".

I have been on the receiving end of such kindnesses, and they always came at the very moment I needed them - often after I had prayed for strength or guidance.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:33 PM

4,978 posts, read 3,466,540 times
Thanks Raleigh, for reminding us of this. Years ago I was puzzled and astonished when I waas changing jobs and one woman sai I'd changed her life. I could never figure out how, except I'd shared my son's bipolar illness and the meds he took to help. I guess I also did advise where he'd gotten help. That's the only thing I could gfigure out. You never know when you are helping someone. The best thing is to be real and let God guide your mouth.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Thanks Raleigh, for reminding us of this. Years ago I was puzzled and astonished when I waas changing jobs and one woman sai I'd changed her life. I could never figure out how, except I'd shared my son's bipolar illness and the meds he took to help. I guess I also did advise where he'd gotten help. That's the only thing I could gfigure out. You never know when you are helping someone. The best thing is to be real and let God guide your mouth.
That's a great example! And good advice from you too!

Old 05-16-2015, 10:32 PM

9,688 posts, read 15,878,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Few people actually get to make a difference in the world. That's a pretty lofty goal. Maybe if you are a Jonas Salk or an Albert Schweitzer you can succeed in doing that but usually the only difference anyone makes is to themselves and the people around them.

I would hate to narrow my existence by proclaiming I had a "purpose" in life. That's just too confining a definition of one's being in my book. A fork has a purpose. A chair has a purpose. I am not a utilitarian object. I am a human being with goals and hopes who would like to get through the life I have been given to the best of my ability .

Whatever positive things I already have created and will create along the way either for myself or for anyone else along the way will be my accomplishments.

The part in bold reminded me of something my daughter said when she was 5-6 years old

"Polio, what's that"?

Nothing for you to worry about, Baby Girl

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or