U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 PM

4,992 posts, read 3,486,124 times

Advertisements

Earlier I'd replied that it was a girl I met at work, but really, I believe it was while I was at my last position and the team I was in worked with Native American Tribal Communities. It took 3 years before they even acknowledged I was part of the team (white woman and all) but, when I was laid off, they all sent gifts and I treasure each one. They know there is at least one white person they can trust, which is sad. There should be many, many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:54 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,785,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Aside from applying for a job position, not having to answer to anyone's often narrow definition of what one's "accomplishments" are in life is a good thing in my book. And it screams a bit too much ego in my view to feel the need to list them out, yes?
No. Of course it can be ego in many cases, but it is not necessarily so. I don't see this thread as a situation where posters have "to answer to anyone's often narrow definition....".

Rather, I see it as an opportunity to look back and take stock of our lives. Naturally different people will have different takes on what makes them satisfied with that look back. Those who posit some sort of "narrow definition" are being overly defensive, in my opinion.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:03 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,785,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

But in regard to that, I feel if one's goal is to just sit and watch TV until the end, and one has achieved that goal, it can be said that an achievement has been made.
Sure, people have the right to pursue their own desires. However, the word "goal" implies something more than "to just sit and watch TV". And for sure the word "achievement" implies something more as well. Sitting watching TV is not really an achievement. It is a non-achievement.

I would be more sympathetic to the argument that achievements are not necessary in retirement because we've spent all those years achieving, even if on a modest scale.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:42 PM

4,705 posts, read 3,272,352 times
Default Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
To the OP: The most significant activity I ever accomplished was to kill the enemy in Viet Nam as a Marine infantry grunt. I was, by all accounts, fairly good at it. My killing saved a lot of my fellow Marine's lives.

Peace time - raised some very squared away daughters, got them launched into successful lives and have never looked back.

In my humble view - the measure of one's life is: Did one stand to honor, take care of your tribe and do one's duty? If the answer is yes - die happy, as will I. JMO
Pilgrim, I want to thank you for your service and what you did for us while you were in Vietnam.
My cousin was a Marine over there but not sure exact dates. He is 2 years younger than me (I'm 73) so I'm guessing sometime in 1960s. I know it was a tough time for him (and everyone there?) and when he came home he had terrible nightmares for years. He recently lost his wife and daughter to cancer all within a 2-3 week period. How much can a person take?
I feel ashamed when I think of how you all were treated when you came home. I will never figure out people. I know it was a very tumultuous time in politics but so much worse for you guys and gals over there.
Thank you.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:19 PM

4,705 posts, read 3,272,352 times
I have been thinking about this for several years now. What can I write down (for myself) that meant anything to anyone. Some people have such a clear idea of the good they have done. I'm always impressed by their achievements.
My achievements, if any, seem too minimal to say. Had two older sisters who smoked and drank too much, one dead and one dying. I did not take up smoking and only rarely have alcohol. So I'm still alive. My oldest sister who is currently in Hospice care has lived in nursing home for many years. She has cerebral palsy and while she was independent for many years, she couldn't do it anymore. I visit her, try to comfort her when she needs it. Try to be there for her even tho I cannot understand anything she says. I've had to do battle with the nursing home for some of her needs.
I've tried to help friends with whatever they needed help with and most times they have returned the favor in some other way.
I'm hoping achievements involving other people count for something.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM

6,350 posts, read 4,779,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
I'm hoping achievements involving other people count for something.
You are the one who decides what counts. In my opinion helping others ranks pretty high.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:03 PM

1,755 posts, read 1,663,599 times
Reagan said (probably quoting some one else) that there is no end to the things you can accomplish if you don't care who gets the credit.

I have lived a very full (albeit, accidental) life. I have lived on three continents, raised four children far better than I was raised - and they are better people than me. Married and truly loved one woman. I have grandchildren coming into homes where they will also be raised better than their parents were, and will have opportunities I could only dream about.

I have seen combat and peace, brutality and soft kindness, base brutishness and noble gentility, good and evil - sometimes all in the same space and time. My work left people more secure and less susceptible to the ravages of tribal brutality and war, but I am unknown to them. I have some things I would change, but I have no true regrets.

As Reagan said, I got a lot done because I could care less who got the credit - I know, and that's all that really matters.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:55 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,382,217 times
I'm old and retired, I've done everything and accomplished nothing, at least anything that changes the world. This is a question that one usually asks in his forty's during the mid-life crisis years and not in retirement. I have a great wife and adult children that seem to be happy. I have the resources to buy anything and take many great vacations; we enjoy life. We help people that need it anonymously and do it often. I'm not political nor religious and have enough not to worry about either. I live by two motto's: s... happens, and if you can't eat it or hump it, pi.. on it and walk away. It's a short life, live it without regret.

Old 05-19-2015, 05:11 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,726,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Aside from applying for a job position, not having to answer to anyone's often narrow definition of what one's "accomplishments" are in life is a good thing in my book. And it screams a bit too much ego in my view to feel the need to list them out, yes?
Yes!

Old 05-19-2015, 07:01 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,101,109 times
Kinds makes me think those wandering were same one when younger looking for that meaning of life. Look around you; should see people you have made a difference in their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or