Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 11:12 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times

Advertisements

As we get older, I think many of us ask the question/s: "What have I accomplished in my life?" - "Have I really made a difference that mattered in the world or in the lives of others ... (by whatever standard one chooses to measure such a thing). This is probably more fundamental than a simple "What things have I DONE?" question or answer

- I'm going to have to think about this some more, but, a couple of things come to mind. We've raised some decent, hard-working, God-fearing kids who are instilling those values in their own families (breaking some destructive generational patterns in my own family). In the ministry, I've participated in the Lord's work (not mine) of significantly changing the lives of others. After 47-years of marriage and a 40-year career, (now 7-years retired), it feels like I've seen my commitments to others through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 06:02 AM

761 posts, read 832,828 times
I'd like to think that I made some sort of difference. Not having children, I'd hope that I made a difference in the lives of the pets I've had and the animals that I have saved and served.

I wasn't fruitful and did not multiply, my seed is unsown. Getting divorced after 30+ years of marriage and will most likely be alone for the rest of my life after retirement.

I did become involved in my church and I hope I have made a positive change there. I am becoming a Deacon soon, so all is not lost.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:03 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,112,201 times
Islamic terrorists are also committed to promoting their ideas of morality and religion. They want others to follow their beliefs and they are often willing to do anything in pursuit of those goals.

Maybe after a lifetime of promoting your God-fearing beliefs and instilling those beliefs in others, it would be a good time to understand some alternatives.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:24 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,367,350 times
Is this going to be one of those bible-bangy posts? Because I've stayed clear of church, nor have I saved the world, but I'm nice to people I meet everyday, I respond kindly when asked questions, I'm a good friend and neighbor and if I bring a smile to someone's face every once in awhile then I've made my teensy corner of the world a better place.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:58 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I haven't been the cause of any major troubles....... that I know of......... that I remember

Old 05-10-2015, 08:21 AM

231 posts, read 171,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

Maybe after a lifetime of promoting your God-fearing beliefs and instilling those beliefs in others, it would be a good time to understand some alternatives.
Sadly, anti-Christians always end up sounding like militant vegans banging on about how they don't eat meat.

I think that it's great that the OP has some pride in their philosophies and children. It's funny how rare real accomplishments, by that I mean publicly obvious ones, are. You might see a few bronze plaques from formerly alive prominent people in your town on different buildings, a very few people are well known as artists/polticians/writers for a while (but not for very long typically). What is viewed as truly useful (a product designer, an architect, etc.) is making things that always end up in the landfill eventually. Even your own DNA is quickly dissipated.

It's almost accidental how a person might be known in the future. A quick example.......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_o...aces_the_Baker

Old 05-10-2015, 08:21 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Is this going to be one of those bible-bangy posts? Because I've stayed clear of church, nor have I saved the world, but I'm nice to people I meet everyday, I respond kindly when asked questions, I'm a good friend and neighbor and if I bring a smile to someone's face every once in awhile then I've made my teensy corner of the world a better place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I haven't been the cause of any major troubles....... that I know of......... that I remember

I like these two posts . Except that I started going to church when my kids were born and continued until they were in their teens and then made their own choices regarding religion. My biggest accomplishment is my kids. It was important to me to break the cycle of dysfunction in my family as much as possible. Otherwise, as stated above, being kind to those I come across in everyday life and staying out of trouble.

Last edited by smpliving; 05-10-2015 at 08:56 AM..

Old 05-10-2015, 08:33 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I often sit and wonder what I've accomplished in life. Nothing seems to register.

I do not subscribe to any one religion, but it's my belief that we're here to love life, love and take care of our earth, and find some way to feel close to a God/positive force of some kind...for me it's been through devotion to decency, lessons learned, following what Catholics would call Commandments (Buddhists: precepts), and loving even when it's hard to. All positive religions (those that don't promulgate meanness and death) basically say the same thing: love.

Old 05-10-2015, 08:55 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Is this going to be one of those bible-bangy posts? .
Wow! Someone mentions God or church and you call that Bible-bangy???

Lighten up.

And respect other's points of view.

++++++++

As for the OP's theme, I too have broken the cycle of dysfunctionality (new word!) in my family history and my kids are doing OK. In my career in Social Services I have made things better for a lot of people. I plan on doing more for others after I retire in a year or two.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:08 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Notaras View Post
... It's funny how rare real accomplishments, by that I mean publicly obvious ones, are. ...
I think the most real accomplishments are those that often go unacknowledged. Raising children to be productive adults. Teaching someone something new. Providing a bit of hope when someone is in despair.

The publicly obvious ones cause visible changes. Sometimes I'd call them accomplishments. But sometimes I'd call them unfortunate occurrences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement