U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 09:15 AM

1,926 posts, read 995,774 times

Advertisements

I drew the eight of cups this morning

My problem is that I enjoy my bad habits more than I enjoy life without them. I can rein them in if they are causing me more trouble than satisfaction, but I doubt that I will drop them.

I am having a bar of chocolate while I fritter away a beautiful morning on c-d, but it's only a little piece of the morning and I have already walked around the block twice, spoke to two neighbors, returned a "lost" dog, and hailed the Habitat truck to see if they still take old tvs. (they don't)

I strive for balance but never quite make it, nearly always listing to the "I shouldn't be doing this" side.

So I'm no help at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,587,050 times
one positive new habit is thinking before I speak.

Negative is sometimes I forget to think.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM

6,323 posts, read 4,765,544 times
A habit is doing the same thing over and over again. As I get older, I realize I want more variety and fewer habits of any type.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:12 AM

5,183 posts, read 8,709,782 times
Smile This is something I am struggling with....

When I was in my 20's, I used to hear my mother talk about how my father wanted/required a dish of ice cream each night.

While I loved ice cream, I used to treat myself now and then but it was mostly going out of the way (on purpose) to a place like Carvel. I don't remember ever buying a pint but I was single so I probably ate on the run.

Now, I find myself longing for that same treat my dad longed for and I need to nip it in the bud - quickly.

I cannot control myself while it is in the house - I know it's there - but it is a weakness and I think I'm beginning to feel dizzy and less focused after I have some.

Just a question - Is gelato (I think it's made by Edy's) a way to wean myself off the ice cream?
Maybe down to every other night, then every 3 nights, etc.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM

48,516 posts, read 84,044,795 times
I have always thought that when you notice something you don't like I what your doing; then change it. No magic really. humans are very good at making excuses tho to not change what they recognize they need. Reminds me of the exercise thread not long ago; excuses even when recognizing the need.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:08 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,007,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
Always LOVING my alcohol, I totally quit drinking after I retired. I had planned to do this cuz I was afraid I might let the alcohol love overcome me. Didn't drink at all for a couple years, tried it, realized I could be a "normal", social drinker. Didn't have to use it as form of escape.

Quit smoking - something I could never had done while working. Never could have handled the lst month off smokes while working (I was pretty insane & slept a lot).

new positive habits?? don't think so
That's amazing.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:09 PM

23,685 posts, read 17,651,107 times
No one is too old to take corrective action, no matter how small the steps are. Getting over set in habits is the hardest part.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:11 PM

9,599 posts, read 10,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I woke up early this morning for some reason thinking about some of my less wonderful habits that have followed me throughout life. Nothing dire, just things like aspects of diet and daily routine that I'd really like to improve but the habits are "comfortable."

Wondering what positive habits you adopted after retirement, or poorer habits you were able to overcome...and how.
People can begin new activities at any age; they can cese activities as well. You became an eercise enthusiast a few months ago; by this time it must be part of your life. Or did it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
When I was in my 20's, I used to hear my mother talk about how my father wanted/required a dish of ice cream each night.

While I loved ice cream, I used to treat myself now and then but it was mostly going out of the way (on purpose) to a place like Carvel. I don't remember ever buying a pint but I was single so I probably ate on the run.

Now, I find myself longing for that same treat my dad longed for and I need to nip it in the bud - quickly.

I cannot control myself while it is in the house - I know it's there - but it is a weakness and I think I'm beginning to feel dizzy and less focused after I have some.
Why not just eat ice cream and enjoy it? It's not a weakness; it's something you enjoy.

It's foolish, not virtuous, to deprive yourself of what you enjoy. Asceticism is silly. It probably shortens life as well since it contributes to an unenjoyable life. Why should you feel guilty about doing what you enjoy?

I enjoy ice cream, but I sometimes don't think of it for weeks at a time. When NEG mentioned her favorite last winter, however, I decided to try pineapple and coconut. I bought Haagen-Daaz and found that a half pint (I wonder why there is no name for that quantity) is about perfect for a late evening snack. After reading your post I believe I'll buy some the next time I go to town.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 05-12-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 12:31 PM

5,611 posts, read 5,125,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
No one is too old to take corrective action, no matter how small the steps are. Getting over set in habits is the hardest part.
I disagree...once cognitive impairment sets in, new habits are almost impossible. My parents are the perfect example, and I know many others their age who just can't/won't make a new habit. Heck, my mom still goes into the bank instead of using an ATM. Seriously?

I think that forming new habits is like working a muscle. If you keep doing it through your life (including things that happen naturally, like a change in routine due to the loss of a job or even a loved one) you will continue to keep that 'muscle' strong and adaptable to change.

Old 05-12-2015, 12:36 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,321,696 times
^^^+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or