U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 01:00 PM

23,567 posts, read 17,544,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
I disagree...once cognitive impairment sets in, new habits are almost impossible. My parents are the perfect example, and I know many others their age who just can't/won't make a new habit. Heck, my mom still goes into the bank instead of using an ATM. Seriously?

I think that forming new habits is like working a muscle. If you keep doing it through your life (including things that happen naturally, like a change in routine due to the loss of a job or even a loved one) you will continue to keep that 'muscle' strong and adaptable to change.
If you have limited mental capacity, of course you're excused. Barring some sort of impediment, change can occur, but it may be immensely uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 01:19 PM

13,885 posts, read 25,311,688 times
I pick up and drop habits all the time. Many of my faves like coffee, I am not willing to do without. But others come and go. Some of it is weather related. I run in the winter and walk in summer because it's too hot. I despise exercise and never did it at all till I was in my 50's. That's one good habit I have been able to force myself to continue. The hardest step is still the first one out the door. I write every day too and the first word is the hardest.

Some of it is financial. I can only do so much with what I have. For example, I have always wanted to learn jewelry making and I am slowly piecing together a small pile of stuff to learn with. Maybe I will like it and maybe not. I am enjoying the challenge of finding what I need on the cheap.

I learned over the years I can do almost anything but I am truly talented at nothing. Darn it. That's probably why habits come and go. I keep looking for a talent I don't have. But habits, good and bad, give my life structure.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:25 PM

9,190 posts, read 8,287,258 times
I quit smoking in my late thirties, almost two packs a day, and became a marathon runner.

I gave up coffee about five years ago.

I gave up (cold turkey) cokes, diet cokes, any aspartame foods/drinks a year ago along with all gluten.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:33 PM

1,451 posts, read 1,153,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wondering what positive habits you adopted after retirement, or poorer habits you were able to overcome...and how.
I have not retired yet but have adopted new habits in the more recent years. These habits were formed out of necessity to cope with old-age related problems!

First is the CRS disease! To cope with it, I have to develop new habits of jotting things down, use yahoo calendar reminder features, schedule automatic bill payments, put things back where they belong RIGHT AFTER using them, getting things done right away, no more 'a round tuit" etc. otherwise things would never get done!

Second is the metabolic disorder issue. With blood sugar and LDL numbers continue their upward trend, I had to improve my diet, staying away from sweets, fats, cut back on carbs etc. I also had to up my physical activities levels to 'reverse' my early diabetic condition. I have had good A1C numbers in the last 1.5 years, and my doctor told me at the last checkup that it was very unlikely that I would become diabetic ;-).

It's not easy to maintain new healthy habits without finding ways to truly enjoying them. I go to the gym mainly because I enjoy swimming and while there, I usually do 20 minutes of aerobic exercise and 20 minutes of weight lifting before the swim.

I'm glad that my love of nature and outdoor motivates me to get up almost daily at 4:30am to be on the river rowing at 5:30am, to spend my lunch hour walking in the woods next to my work place and to spend the late afternoon walking with my husband and the dog to the library or in the woods behind the house.

My desire to learn to scuba dive motivated me to be a better swimmer. We got into weight lifting 13 years ago because I wanted to be strong to prepare for a diving trip in Galapagos Islands. I was glad that I was prepared because the diving condition was quite challenging. In some dives, the only way to move forward against the ripping current was to either crawling on the ocean floor or gripping sharp volcanic rocks with kevlar palm gloves! The diving was incredible and out-of-this world with schools of hammer head, galapagos sharks, rays, sea lions, turtles and dense masses of colorful fishes. We also saw 7 whale sharks in the two days diving at Darwin and Wolf Islands.

I was never athletic in high school or college and if anything was a weakling for most of my life. I could not even do a single pushup or a pullup before hitting the gym 15 years ago. I looked up the pushup test few weeks ago and was happy to see that I was in the excellent range for my age group.

So, I believe that we are never too old to form new habits. We may develop them out of necessity but once we find ways to enjoy them, we can maintain the new healthy habits.

Last edited by BellaDL; 05-12-2015 at 01:45 PM..

Old 05-12-2015, 01:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
I quit smoking in my late thirties, almost two packs a day, and became a marathon runner.

I gave up coffee about five years ago.

.... along with all gluten.
Any noticeable health benefits?

(and bravo on the smoking)

Old 05-12-2015, 02:08 PM

9,190 posts, read 8,287,258 times
Quote:
Any noticeable health benefits?

(and bravo on the smoking)
Many from giving up the artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is really just poison.

Honestly, people asked me for years if food tasted better since I quit smoking and quite honestly, it didn't.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Many from giving up the artificial sweeteners. Aspartame is really just poison.

Honestly, people asked me for years if food tasted better since I quit smoking and quite honestly, it didn't.
I'm curious about the gluten, because I have a serious allergy to wheat. Wondering what your health changes were with avoiding gluten. Attraction to wheat products is a habit I find really hard to kick.

Old 05-12-2015, 02:38 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,876,920 times
I got a bigger smart phone (Turbo) and started "swiping" (SwiftKey calls it Flow) instead of typing recently. It isn't taking long to get good at it with the larger phone. Part of it is the phone; my last one was too big in landscape and too small in portrait. The new one is much easier to swipe on in portrait. I still sit at the computer and type also but I am starting to see how the younger set can go so fast on phones. I just needed the squares a little bigger.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:36 PM

21,848 posts, read 14,356,798 times
Quote:
I woke up early this morning for some reason thinking about some of my less wonderful habits that have followed me throughout life. Nothing dire, just things like aspects of diet and daily routine that I'd really like to improve but the habits are "comfortable."

Wondering what positive habits you adopted after retirement, or poorer habits you were able to overcome...and how.
We started going to the community fitness center, and it has become a routine for us. I like how I feel when I work out three times a week. We both make time for it. We used to use a treadmill in our home, and I did a little lifting of hand weights. But I love being able to do a greater variety of things. This is a good habit for us. There are lots of other retirees doing their things too. Its a good place.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:15 PM

One of the new habits I'm not enthusiastic about is using the senior gym. It's affordable and a nice one, yet the atmosphere of ancient people my age is sort of a downer. I'm thinking about switching to the Y.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or