U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:41 AM

10,360 posts, read 9,388,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
One of the new habits I'm not enthusiastic about is using the senior gym. It's affordable and a nice one, yet the atmosphere of ancient people my age is sort of a downer. I'm thinking about switching to the Y.
Not sure what your age is; I sure don't feel ancient and I'm in the 70 year old age group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:18 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Not sure what your age is; I sure don't feel ancient and I'm in the 70 year old age group.
Chronological age at the gym doesn't affect me. I meant to say the "talk" of the old folks at the gym. It's not that big a room and you can hear all the mundane conversation about aches and pains and operations and what's on for lunch at the center, etc. Their pace on the equipment so slow (and their gab gets in the way of their pace) that I have to wait for every next one. I'm just not ready if ever to be in an environment like that. I went once to the silver sneakers program at the Y and didn't experience that kind of thing. Folks were going at a faster pace and not talking.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:24 AM

One new habit I'm trying to acquire, without much success, is making a discipline of housework. When working I just fit it in around job, sometimes doing it later at night. I have a retired friend who takes every Friday without fail and cleans her place top to bottom. Every Saturday morning without fail she does the yard. Once a week on the same day she grooms the dogs and on another day every month like clockwork, her hair and nails. I didn't realize how undisciplined I am till I met her. My brain can't seem to embrace a set routine.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:35 AM

491 posts, read 598,444 times
If you think you can, you can; if you think you can't. you can't. I don't see where age comes into it, lol.

I personally can take the aging talk better than the younger peoples talk of potty training. Why would I want to know that little Suzie pooped???????

Old 05-13-2015, 08:52 AM

1,926 posts, read 991,367 times
Quote:
One new habit I'm trying to acquire, without much success, is making a discipline of housework. When working I just fit it in around job, sometimes doing it later at night. I have a retired friend who takes every Friday without fail and cleans her place top to bottom. Every Saturday morning without fail she does the yard. Once a week on the same day she grooms the dogs and on another day every month like clockwork, her hair and nails. I didn't realize how undisciplined I am till I met her. My brain can't seem to embrace a set routine.
goodness. Without knowing her and not meaning to be unkind, she sounds very rigid. That is not your style. You are trying to squeeze yourself into something you're not meant for. I think you are being too hard on yourself.

on the other hand, I don't know you either

Old 05-13-2015, 04:34 PM

^^^

There are lots of folks, younger and retired, who maintain impressive disciplined schedules, whether it's getting up at 5 a.m. every day to go to the gym, doing chores on certain days of the week, or whatever. I've always been the type of person who does something when the mood strikes me, which makes me more of an emotion-based person than a rational one in many respects. I admire people with self-discipline, unless it seriously derails creativity and occasional impulse.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:38 PM

9,760 posts, read 7,043,834 times
Quote:
I woke up early this morning for some reason thinking about some of my less wonderful habits that have followed me throughout life. Nothing dire, just things like aspects of diet and daily routine that I'd really like to improve but the habits are "comfortable."

Wondering what positive habits you adopted after retirement, or poorer habits you were able to overcome...and how.
I exercise a lot more now.

And I don't worry about nearly as much. And I don't worry about what other people think of me or what I do!

Old 05-13-2015, 04:43 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Quote:
For me..I've seem to latched onto Sunday afternoons to do the laundry and give the house a good cleaning and cook a nice "Sunday dinner". Just something I fell into doing once I retired.
I do my food/stuff shopping every other Friday.. I keep a running list of what I need on the kitchen counter.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:28 AM

1,455 posts, read 1,156,701 times
Quote:
^^^

I've always been the type of person who does something when the mood strikes me, which makes me more of an emotion-based person than a rational one in many respects. I admire people with self-discipline, unless it seriously derails creativity and occasional impulse.
newenglandgirl,

I have the opposite problem of being too 'rational' and analytical. I research and plan for everything! As I get older, I realize that being too prepared or always anxious about not being prepared enough is not fun.

So I have tried to develop a new habit of 'just do it' when the mood strikes, being more spontaneous, accept things as they unfold, take it easy and don't worry too much, i.e. to be more like my other half who is an extreme type B, the polar opposite of my A++ personality ;-).

Old 05-14-2015, 12:19 PM

21,896 posts, read 14,397,959 times
Quote:
One of the new habits I'm not enthusiastic about is using the senior gym. It's affordable and a nice one, yet the atmosphere of ancient people my age is sort of a downer. I'm thinking about switching to the Y.
I don't mind seeing people older than me at the fitness center. I mean, I hope to be their age someday.

Actually, there are plenty of younger people there too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or