Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 12:26 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
^^^

There are lots of folks, younger and retired, who maintain impressive disciplined schedules, whether it's getting up at 5 a.m. every day to go to the gym, doing chores on certain days of the week, or whatever. I've always been the type of person who does something when the mood strikes me, which makes me more of an emotion-based person than a rational one in many respects. I admire people with self-discipline, unless it seriously derails creativity and occasional impulse.
Ah yes, the discipline thing. For some having a strict routine is a must; they don't feel secure without one. For others of us, the strict discipline is stifling.

So she does yard work on Saturday? Wow, she's missing out on some activities that take place only on weekends. But really, to each her own.

The major discipline we have imposed is to get up at 7:00. I set that time for us when we retired, because I was concerned that we would turn into slugs! And now the trip to the gym three times a week. And a trip to Portland to pick up a grand after school once almost every week. Also we don't turn the TV on until evening, unless DH decides to watch the home baseball team during the day. We attend church on Sunday, and I have joined a committee that meets once a week, and a small group that meets for study. That's all for us. I admit that I fit housework around our commitments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 11:24 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
The one positive habit I can really appreciate that I cultivated after retirement was to start putting more quality time and attention toward my important friendships. I'm not a highly social person, pretty introverted, but the girlfriends I do have are very dear to me and have stuck by me through thick and thin. I often was too busy or stressed over the years to put in the time needed to keep the flames of friendship going strong.

First, I got rid of any toxic relationships.
And since having more time in retirement, I've made it a habit to give my friendships more quality time, special attention, and extra thoughtfulness.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:56 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
The one positive habit I can really appreciate that I cultivated after retirement was to start putting more quality time and attention toward my important friendships. I'm not a highly social person, pretty introverted, but the girlfriends I do have are very dear to me and have stuck by me through thick and thin. I often was too busy or stressed over the years to put in the time needed to keep the flames of friendship going strong.

And since having more time in retirement, I've made it a habit to give my friendships more quality time, special attention, and extra thoughtfulness.
Nice post, something I will think a lot about.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:51 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,510,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post

Good for you!

I aim to do that, too.

sometimes friendships are lost from lack of attention.

Old 05-16-2015, 12:58 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Default Are we too old to develop positive new habits?

Probably not, but we may not wish to do so!

Old 05-16-2015, 08:43 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
I'm currently trying to form this new habit: Every day that I'm at home (i.e., no big appointments elsewhere) I try to do three things:

1. Clean something in the house. Today I vacuumed the tile floors, steam-cleaned the kitchen floor, and scrubbed the toilets and bathroom sinks. That was a lot of cleaning for one day. I may just run the dishwasher tomorrow, and call it a day as far as cleaning is concerned.

2. Get some exercise. I recently joined a gym that's 5 minutes from my house. However, today's exercise was vacuuming and scrubbing (see above). I'll probably get back to the gym tomorrow after a volunteer gig that I have in the early afternoon. I really get an endorphin high pounding on the treadmill with classic rock & roll blasting in my ears from my iPod.

3. Spend some time studying French. I take a one-night-a-week class at the Alliance Francaise, and there's usually some homework, or I do a chapter in a workbook, or listen to a French podcast. I've been studying French on and off as a hobby for about 50 years -- I may never get beyond the intermediate level, but I still enjoy the process.

But some days -- especially days when some really good DVD's arrive from Netflix -- I have to admit I don't accomplish any of the three. Eh, no big deal.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
I'm currently trying to form this new habit: Every day that I'm at home (i.e., no big appointments elsewhere) I try to do three things:

1. Clean something in the house. Today I vacuumed the tile floors, steam-cleaned the kitchen floor, and scrubbed the toilets and bathroom sinks. That was a lot of cleaning for one day. I may just run the dishwasher tomorrow, and call it a day as far as cleaning is concerned.

2. Get some exercise. I recently joined a gym that's 5 minutes from my house. However, today's exercise was vacuuming and scrubbing (see above). I'll probably get back to the gym tomorrow after a volunteer gig that I have in the early afternoon. I really get an endorphin high pounding on the treadmill with classic rock & roll blasting in my ears from my iPod.

3. Spend some time studying French. I take a one-night-a-week class at the Alliance Francaise, and there's usually some homework, or I do a chapter in a workbook, or listen to a French podcast. I've been studying French on and off as a hobby for about 50 years -- I may never get beyond the intermediate level, but I still enjoy the process.

But some days -- especially days when some really good DVD's arrive from Netflix -- I have to admit I don't accomplish any of the three. Eh, no big deal.
A nice habit of daily 3's!

I parallel this, except my no. 3 is spend some time on artistic pursuits. Not yet completely retired (I freelance and teach a class) I sometimes don't complete all 3 every day, but it's a worthwhile goal.
I also put some almost-daily attention on dog grooming and indoor and outdoor plants.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Probably not, but we may not wish to do so!
Curmudgeons are rather stubborn and stuck in their ways, but if they do something like develop a new positive habit they'd never admit it. Can't betray the persona, lol.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Curmudgeons are rather stubborn and stuck in their ways, but if they do something like develop a new positive habit they'd never admit it. Can't betray the persona, lol.
By-and-large, curmudgeons are misunderstood and unappreciated. ::::sigh:::: The banes of our existence!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement