U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 08:22 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,960,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyhockGarden View Post
Hello Paka -- Here is a link for the Compassionate Allowances List for Social Security. Compassionate Allowances Website Home Page. Her diagnosis is on the list, so she should get approved pretty quick. Continuing under the FMLA program through her employer could possibly be questionable, just because those benefits are specifically for employees reasonably expected to return to work. I am sorry you are having to go through all this stuff at this point in time, it is not easy.
A really useful link, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:15 PM

1,630 posts, read 607,912 times
You are welcome, Jane! It is good to know that is out there -- it should help speed things up at a difficult time.

Old 05-16-2015, 07:33 AM

425 posts, read 390,892 times
I have no idea why the person said she cannot apply until her income runs out! That is SSI, not Social Security disability. Did your sister work 5 of the 10 years before becoming disabled? That is the key to SS disability.

If she did, and now- re-reading your post, she is on FMLA, so she was working- either do the internet app, which has two parts- the actual application for disability (date of birth, marriage info, children etc) and then the medical part where you list the doctors, hospitals, dates of treatment etc. ASAP.

If you don't want to go that route, call 1-800-772-1213 and ask for a telephone appointment. Also explain she is under hospice and terminal and an application needs to be a priority. You can actually do the phone interview for her, if she is too sick to talk and she can then sign papers.

Also, don't worry too much about actual dates when doing the medical. As long as you list her major doctors, major tests, hospitalizations and time frames, the disability determination services will be able to get her medical records.

Just emphasize her situation with the 800 #. Very often our manager or assistant manager would come to me and tell me to call someone - that it was a dire situation and a priority.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:01 AM

Upon reflection, I think what got them talking about her income was the fact you wanted money immediately. That is a feature of SSI.
But, they count income, assets, income of her spouse etc, so I am not sure she would qualify in any event.

Just know, that Social Security disability has a 5 month waiting period. It begins at the date your sister was unable to work.

However, and this is important: Did your sister have any periods of being out of work 30 days or more, then attempting to return to work then getting sick again?

If so, she can use the earlier date: the one before the "unsuccessful work attempts.

Let me give an example:

Your sister works until September 5, 2014 when she is hospitalized. She stays in the hospital 2 weeks and stays home another 3 weeks.
She returns to work October 14th, 2014 and works until January 4, 2015 when she is too sick to work again.
She has not worked since.

You can use September 5, 2014 as the "date she became unable to work". That is called a "date of onset". The work attempt from October 14 to January 4th is called an "unsuccessful work attempt". It can be disregarded by SSA - but you need to fill out a form about it- they (meaning the interviewer) will do that for you or help you do it.

Using the correct date is critical- because the 5 month waiting period now begins September 5, 2014 and is October, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb 2015.

Your sister's benefits would begin March 2015 and she will be paid retroactive to March 1, 2015.

If something similar happened to her, please post and I will help you pick the correct date of onset.

Old 05-16-2015, 09:03 AM

7,629 posts, read 14,425,278 times
THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS INFO!!! Working it now!!! BLESS YOU for assisting!!!!!

Old 05-16-2015, 12:42 PM

6,433 posts, read 5,147,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH FOR THIS INFO!!! Working it now!!! BLESS YOU for assisting!!!!!
I see that you are in San antonio. I've taken my sister to the SS office on the east side and the wait was minimal. Same with a friend that went recently.

But as someone else suggested, the hospice or hospital social worker can help. They did my moms Medicaid application.

She should be on that also.

Old 05-16-2015, 02:21 PM

Rereading your post again, I see she is a widow. Now, when you say she receives $1000.00 a month from her husband who died, is that disabled widow's benefits from SSA? Disabled widow's is for widow's between age 50 to 60.

She would need to have become disabled within 7 years of his death or the last time she received benefits as a mother with a child in care.

If that is the case, then that application cannot be done on the internet. You would call 1-800-772-1213 and tell them that she needs an appointment for disabled widow's benefits. You can do it by telephone. If you can be with her, she gives permission on the phone, and the interview is done with you, with her nearby to help you answer anything you don't know. This is very common.

She could wind up with a greater benefit amount applying for both, so please remember to at least inquire and see if she should apply for both benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or