U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 06:19 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,900,729 times

Advertisements

I remember girls wearing insulated coat-like leggings that zipped up like a jacket. They were made of the same thick material as kids' coats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 01:09 PM

9,576 posts, read 10,920,803 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9KVfn2-EEU

Who doesn't remember Gillette Blue Blades? When we thought about razor blades we thought about Gillette. Gem single edge were for scraping paint from glass.

Gillette double edge blades are still made...in Russia. Does anyone in this country still make double edge edge razor bladdes? It may surprise some, but the answer is that the American Safety Razor Company still does. That's the outfit that formed in 1906 with the merger of Gem and Eversharp. They never changed their name to some catchy modern name. Their name sounds like a traditional American name. They call their blades Personna. You can get them on the Walmart website but, sadly, not in the stores.

Personna 100 Pack Double Edge Stainless Steel Safety Razor Blades - Walmart.com

You can buy them in a dispenser, but they cost a fortune.

Personna 5 Pack Super Stainless Steel Double Edge Razor Blades Shaving Barber, 9010 - Walmart.com

Who makes a double edge razor in this country? No one. Safety razors are made all over the world but not here. I have a fine German Merkur; it's almost an exact copy of a Gillette open comb. I have my Gillettes as well. There are hundreds of brands of double edge blades in the world but only one in this country.

I started shaving when it was easy to get a good shave; it was cheap as well. What damsel didn't bring her double edge razor when she took her bath?

Does anyone else still use a traditional razor? What about a straight razor?

Does anyone remember the slots in bathroom walls in both private homes and hotels for used razor blades?

Modern plastic disposable everything isn't always the best. Compare a Bic to a Zippo.

Old 05-26-2015, 06:43 PM

19,520 posts, read 20,900,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming

Modern plastic disposable everything isn't always the best. Compare a Bic to a Zippo.
Except that Zippos could leak and burn a hole in your pants pocket. Or your thigh.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:12 PM

4,972 posts, read 3,457,347 times
What I miss most is being able to leave your house and car unlocked.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:31 PM

9,576 posts, read 10,920,803 times
I leave my vehicles unlocked with the keys in them. Location, location, location.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:21 PM

37,105 posts, read 45,622,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Today when people think of a stick pen they are likely thinking of a cheap ballpoint, a throwaway. However, in my second grade class it had a far more ominous meaning because it referred to the dip pen, the pen that dribbled and dripped seemingly everywhere. I can imagine what an ordeal it must have been for southpaws as the inkwell was in the upper righthand corner of the desk.

Do you remember it? Did you, too, long for the day when you would be allowed to take your fountain pen to school? Fountain pens could drip when poorly handled by little tykes. However, my mother not only allowed it for my homework, she positively insisted that I use it and not the dreaded stick pen.

Ballpoints? The ballpoints of the day skipped; our teachers neither permitted them in class nor allowed them for homework.

During the last month or so of the school year we were finally allowed to bring our fountain pens. We did, however, manage to spill some ink, usually at the end of a writing assignment. Then we had the singular joy of rewriting the assigned work.

I suppose that that was my first incident of nostalgia because I often wished that we still used the pencils of our youth.
I remember the inkwells in the upper corner of the desk, but I never had to use a pen with liquid ink. We had sewing classes with treadle sewing machines.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What I miss most is being able to leave your house and car unlocked.
We still do this most of the time.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker2 View Post
We wore leggings in Ohio. They were sort of bulky trousers you put on, with your dress over them, to go outside to play in the cold.
In MA, we wore those too, because we walked back and forth to school twice a day in the winter.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:26 PM

Here's one I've been remembering... My mother used a sprinkler bottle of water to iron clothes, and if she didn't finish, she rolled the clothes up and put them in the refrigerator until the next day. She listened to Art Linkletter on the radio while she ironed.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:03 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here's one I've been remembering... My mother used a sprinkler bottle of water to iron clothes, and if she didn't finish, she rolled the clothes up and put them in the refrigerator until the next day. She listened to Art Linkletter on the radio while she ironed.
True. And in Brownies we took bottles (maybe glass Vermont Maid maple syrup?) and painted them and put perforated stoppers in them. Then we took them home to our mothers so they could sprinkle the clothes.

(I think my mother listened to Arthur Godfrey.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement