U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:24 PM

1,324 posts, read 843,285 times

Advertisements

Do you remember the laundry bluing? In elementary school, we used the bluing to make a rock garden. It was a really cool project.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 12:34 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,112,434 times
I mostly remember fountain pens as leaking things that got you in trouble when they leaked in your shirt pocket when you had been told to keep them in pencil box because of it.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:11 PM

19,962 posts, read 18,960,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelighted View Post
Do you remember the laundry bluing? In elementary school, we used the bluing to make a rock garden. It was a really cool project.
My mother made those with me. I think they were called Depression Gardens. I was very intrigued.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,724 posts, read 40,123,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I leave my vehicles unlocked with the keys in them. Location, location, location.
me too... locked myself out of the house this weekend, only to find I had left my keys hanging in the front door lock for a week, as usual... (saved!)

kinda old 'farm' habit... I only lock the house when gone for a week or more, Car keys are always in the cars, otherwise I would NEVER find them!

IIRC, there was only one door that locked on the farm house, and we only used that door 1-2x / year.

I have used my neighbor's cars / house when needed since I know where their keys are! (and they use mine)... Seems in Malta, there is a custom to UNLOCK your house when you are gone, in case someone needs to go inside for cover or to use the bathroom!. (frig too)

Old 06-02-2015, 12:17 AM

9,603 posts, read 10,973,758 times
Quote:
My mother bought liquid bluing in a small glass bottle. She'd shake a few drops into a laundry tub full of cool water for the second rinse. The other tub would have hot water and she could swing the wringer to wring out the hot before the laundry went into the cold.

Mrs. Stewart's is still in business. The website has information on the crystal garden as well as other uses of the bluing, e.g., rinsing your or your dog's white hair to get out any yellowish tinge. They even have suggestions for removing an excess from your hair, your dog, and even from your clothes. There's a picture of a dog there who could have been mine. His name was Gizzy.

Do you remember the parodies of US commemorative stamps. They're not on the website, but I found them and provided a link. The NRA stamp is not about the National Rifle Association; it stands for National Recovery Act.

There was a two burner gas unit by the laundry tubs. My mother would dissolve a tablet of starch in boiling water and then soak some of the clothes. Like most people, she sent linen to a commercial laundry. Those were the days of laundrymen who picked up and delivered.

Be sure to check the bootlegger's crate at the bottom.

Mrs. Stewarts Bluing

http://alphabetilately.org/Cisfor/MrsS/I-2.jpg

http://alphabetilately.org/Cisfor/MrsS/II-1.jpg

http://alphabetilately.org/Cisfor/MrsS/III-1.jpg

http://alphabetilately.org/Cisfor/MrsS/IV-1.jpg

http://alphabetilately.org/Cisfor/MrsS/V-1.jpg

Cinderellas - Mrs. Stewart's Bluing Stamps

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mrs-Stewarts...item4aead840b4

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 06-02-2015 at 12:37 AM..

Old 06-07-2015, 09:48 AM

4,706 posts, read 3,274,740 times
I have not thought about bluing in years. My mother used it, seems only on whites tho. I used it a few times after marrying and raising family.

Those wringer washers were something, weren't they? I had more problems with mine. LOL

Old 06-08-2015, 06:41 AM

1,324 posts, read 843,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal2NC View Post
Those wringer washers were something, weren't they? I had more problems with mine. LOL
Oh man oh man! I hated helping mom with the wringer, especially trying to get the sheets into the wringer! Hey maybe that's why some Hoosiers pronounced rinse as wrench My dad always said warsh and wrench - such a harsh Midwestern accent lol

How many of you spent hours hunting up discarded pop bottles?

I remember my older brother and I would spend hours walking the blocks near our home looking for pop bottles. We'd take them to the grocery store to get a penny each, then we'd head to the local candy store (it was just a Mom and Pop grocery but to us it was always the candy store). We could get Bazooka gum at 5 for a penny. Most of the candy was 2 for a penny - and candy bars only cost 2 cents!

Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,194,722 times
Quote:
Wore tights like the above all through grade school winters and put leggins on top of them when it was really, really cold.

Luckily when I was in high school, panty hose were developed!

I worked in the Loop for many years. While many men did not wear hats, a lot did use ear muffs. Don't know why they were more acceptable to men. As a female, I always wore hats, ear muffs or a scarf but my ears were always covered!
I vaguely remember the waning years of when those were worn (had to be something like 1st grade for me, around 1970). I remember thinking: "Sock smell x 10." Of course that's what a guy in 1st grade would think.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:23 PM

9,603 posts, read 10,973,758 times
Remember riding the train?

I rode several of the great old trains during the forties and early fifties. My most memorable experience was riding the Rio Grande narrrow gauge between Alamosa and Durango in southern Colorado. Today the eastern part of the line is still open as a tourist railroad, but back then it was in regular service. They did, however, make a scenic stop along the line. I loved standing on the rear platform.

We tokk the Rocky Mountain Rocket from Chicago to Colorado Springs and we once had a drawing room on the Superchief from Chicago to Los Angeles.

My father often had to travel to New Jersey on business. During the war it was almost impossible for most people to get a ticket, but he could always get one. He would walk up to a ticket agent and say as he slid a bill forward, "I bet you twenty that you can't get me a lower on the Twentieth Century.'' The ticket agent would reply as he smoothly picked up his money, ''You just lost your bet." His employer considered this a necessary expense.

In rail circles as well as at Electromotive, the GM division that built locomotives, the latest talk was when we could expect nuclear electric to replace diesel electric.

My favorite, however, is still steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl_LoQ4vHDc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp6OM_hrTUQ

Old 06-15-2015, 10:17 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,870,336 times
Quote:
I remember my older brother and I would spend hours walking the blocks near our home looking for pop bottles. We'd take them to the grocery store to get a penny each, then we'd head to the local candy store (it was just a Mom and Pop grocery but to us it was always the candy store). We could get Bazooka gum at 5 for a penny. Most of the candy was 2 for a penny - and candy bars only cost 2 cents!
We did too and there were times we hit pay dirt finding several bottles. Of course afterwards we went
to this little store near our house and bought penny candy. This was in Chicago and there were
several little stores (like the link below) and there was always one by a school. I'm sure these places
sold a variety of things but all we saw was that penny candy and ice cream bars.
Our mom didn't know we were frequently searching and buying but she always wondered why we had all those cavities. Also, our dentist would give us candy after his work was done.

http://www.bonniemiller.com/store/store_06.jpg

Our favorites were the wax lips, wax mustache, chocolate cigarettes, pixie sticks, flying saucers, hot dog
gum, that lipstick candy, wax pop bottles and those spiral licorice with the red candy center.

BoomerBaby.com / Our Childhood Memories of Food
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement