U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 04:17 AM

13,320 posts, read 25,565,364 times

Advertisements

I am fortunate that I never wanted kids and therefore never took that financial hit. I did everything I thought I wanted to do- going back to school multiple times, changing jobs, join Peace Corps, move to different places. I do wish I could get some of my spending back! but since I always worked, my Social Security will be max, and I did settle into a pensionable job in 1999 and will see that reward in less than three years.

I look around at people's teenaged kids or my younger new grad co-workers, and they often have never had a job- no fast food, no waiting on tables or other restaurant work… even though my high-school class was quite middle-class (or second-generation striving), I seem to remember a lot of people working, certainly in the summer, and often after school or weekends. It was a rite of passage. I couldn't wait to have my own money and therefore options and freedom, although the jobs were grinding even then. (Anyone remember Olga's Diner and Ponzio's on Route 70 in Cherry Hill, NJ?) and certainly no one got cars as gifts in high school. Maybe college graduation, but not in one's teens. If you worked, you could buy an old used car.

Is school that much more pressing that people don't want their kids to work? I am again seeing "help wanted" signs all around my area and wonder where are the high school and college students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2015, 04:34 AM

71,626 posts, read 71,751,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
I have been talking a lot to people in my neighborhood who just recently retired. I asked them if they ever took a break from working during the time from when they graduated from High School/College to retiring in their 60s. (The break could be due to layoffs or family issues, etc.) What is amazing is how few of them were ever forced to take time off and most of them worked pretty much non stop from age 20-65. (Their only days off were weekends and holidays)

How about you? Did you have breaks from full time work due to family issues or forced unemployment?
in 40 years the longest break i ever took was 1 week when i switched jobs.

retiring now and looking forward to lots of travel over the next few years.

Old 05-16-2015, 08:49 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,580,382 times
are you driving? can I come with you? :}

Old 05-16-2015, 03:56 PM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
I guess I never counted babysitting as work but as fun. I was the "town" babysitter at 14 as I enjoyed the kids & usually thought of fun things for us to do. At 16 Ibecame a waitress & then married my boyfriend, had a son, and stayed home with him for awhile but soon started working again at a clinic as a receptionist. I was laid off twice, once after 9/11 as I was working at a nonprofit and all funding monies were going to New York. I had a job within the month at another nonprofit as the executive assistant and then chose to go to another nonprofit where I was laid off during our last recession. Worked temp after that until a car accident forced me not to work (back issues).
I am now close to 62 and because of my work history receive the highest pay for SSDI.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:47 PM

282 posts, read 306,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Off View Post
How about you? Did you have breaks from full time work due to family issues or forced unemployment?
I worked from the time I was 14 years old until retirement age. It was part time until I graduated from college (except for full time summer employment from 18-22 yrs old).

Old 05-17-2015, 07:21 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,459,035 times
Started working at 15, Full time job during school working eves and weekends. Never a break except when a company I was working for went broke, then I was pounding the pavement full time until I got another job a few weeks later.
Retiring in 2 weeks at 62.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:28 PM

2,013 posts, read 4,996,265 times
Started working as a babysitter at 15, working papers and a part time job at 17. Worked during college and summers (often 2 or 3 jobs during the summer). After graduating from college worked full time while attending graduate school. Started teaching in 1979 and worked part time retail while teaching and full time seasonal work during the summers. After marrying and moving in 1989, I was able to quit working during the summer. Taught for 33 years, one semester off for sabbatical to finish the last 9 credits for Masters +60. At the same time, had to empty and sell my parent's home. Retired and continued subbing, moved again and found part time employment. Yep, I've been working since 1969.

Old 05-17-2015, 08:52 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,271,674 times
I worked for 39 years and I was laid off from jobs 4 times so I had some short intervals of a few months off which was nice.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:52 AM

979 posts, read 606,070 times
When I was in my teens I worked summers as a lifeguard and camp counselor then began my R.N. career in 1978 at age 21. I worked in several different nursing positions until the early 90s when I got burnt out and took a hiatus from the nursing profession. During my hiatus I worked as a tour guide for two years which was the most fun job I ever had, and would have stuck with that job but the work and salary was not steady. I left after getting laid off during the winter which is a common practice in this profession, then took a couple of years off with no work. I returned to nursing 14 years ago which I will continue with until retirement in about 6 years. Following retirement I would love to work again as a part time tour guide as I really enjoyed doing this work.

Old 05-18-2015, 05:50 PM

5,785 posts, read 4,838,667 times
So it is becoming quite obvious by the responses on this thread what is necessary in order to acheive retirement. When post-college young adults are living with their parents and complain that they won't be able to retire, it is obvious why. The refrain that they can't get a job should be amended to: they can't find a job that they want. How many of us retirees actually WANTED to bus tables, and mow lawns, and cashier at the Dairy Queen? Was it what we wanted? No, but since that was the ONLY way to get any money, I guess all of us did it anyway. Was it glamorous, or did it use the skills and education we had? No, but it was necessary to survive and that is what is missing now, the necessity of working to have any possessions or life at all. The parental safety net has gone too far and become a hammock.

On the Work and Employment forum I read over and over that young people can't get the jobs that their education should lead them to because of their lack of work experience....ANY work experience. If a kid doesn't at least work summer jobs in their hometown, or seek out internships, paid or unpaid, or work while in college, it is to be expected that people who are hiring will hire those who have showed more initiative in acquiring experience of SOME kind.

I have many friends who have followed the path of least resistance, not working 2 jobs, or taking OT, or even saving for their own retirement. They will be working for a long time and then living on the SS shoestring. The safety net was created for those who can't support themselves in their elder years, not for those who just didn't feel like working that hard. But we're all the same in the eyes of SS, and so it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or