U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 09:41 AM

519 posts, read 430,308 times

Advertisements

What to do with a retired husband? Easy-peasy: step 1. Make certain life insurance is paid up. step 2. Take vacation along rocky coast or active volcano. step 3. Take picture of husband near edge and insist picture is great if he only steps back one more foot. step 4. Collect insurance monies. step 5. Increase SWR for increased resources and one less mouth to feed. ;-)

FULL DISCLOSURE: I am the retired husband for over 20 years so I figure I'm safe and this is a JOKE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 10:01 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Unless my health prohibited it, I just can't see parking myself in front of the TV and laying there like a vegetable for weeks or months on end.

When I get off in the evenings, I usually go for a walk of at least a mile or two, weather permitting. If I lived in an area more conducive to the outdoors (I live in Indiana), I'd be outside more. Maybe it's because I currently have a desk job inside, but I'd want to be more mobile. Maybe if it was the other way around, I'd want to be more sedentary.

I can see taking some time to decompress or whatever, but simply piddling about the house indefinitely with no inspiration to do much more is indicative of a problem IMO.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:03 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,875,565 times
I fear that this will happen in my retirement but it will be me (husband) wanting to do things and my wife won't. Only the jobs and kids (not all out yet but not long) keep the issue of having almost no common plans from splitting us.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 AM

2,630 posts, read 1,932,559 times
Dump him. He wants to play around. I've seen this scenario several times - it works. I call it the 40 yr itch.

Honestly? I did it myself.

It's not 1958 anymore.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:38 PM

3,853 posts, read 5,301,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
She contributed to the family income by sparing the "income earner" from having to hire a whole workforce of nannies, cooks, cleaning people, personal shoppers, etc. Are you kidding me with this?
This^^^!! All day long!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:00 PM

3,602 posts, read 1,554,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
That was the recipe for one man that I know. Wine starting almost with breakfast.

Actually, his wife took up a hobby which required her to travel a week or so every month to different places in the US leaving him to have 100% of the care giving responsibility for their three grand kids plus 100% of the household responsibilities (cooking, cleaning, bill paying, etc) ALL of the time.

I am VERY jealous of her.
Appointing a baby sitter would have been a better deal for the husband.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:12 PM

10,318 posts, read 9,367,886 times
One question many coworkers asked me as I neared retirement was, "What are you going to do?"

After being retired for over four years and interacting with many other retirees, we all agree that the last thing we need to be concerned about is 'what are we going to do?'

Being retired is "doing"....and what each of us does needs to feel comfortable and not forced. And definitely not trying to live our retirement based on what someone else thinks we should be doing.

Many enjoy planning their days weeks in advance; many plan each day as it dawns. There are no rules.

The biggest mistake any retiree can make, and the fastest way to sour any retirement is by being overly concerned about "doing". Just enjoy your permanent vacation and eliminate the stress of scheduling your days.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:40 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
A lot of this is related to having a plan in retirement for the following:
Geographic location
Neighborhood
Lot
Home layout
Income and opportunity to do other things and be other places
Etc etc.

Our porch, deck and landscaping enable us in good weather to do nothing amongst nature.
Our home layout enables multiple places to catch a nap.
The beach place enables us to do nothing on the beach and do nothing when we come back in
We will go out and do nothing over a meal.
I suspect a few folks could get use to this semi do nothing life style

Old 05-19-2015, 05:58 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,875,565 times
Quote:
Winnie the Pooh: How do you do just nothing?
Christopher Robin: Well, when grown-ups ask, "What are you going to do?" and you say, "Nothing," and then you go and do it.
One of my all time favorite quotes. Not sure why fiction is often more profound than real life quotes, but there it is.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:00 PM

4,619 posts, read 4,456,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
From Forbes - "What to do with a retired husband: Chapter 1 of 3", by Robert Laura. Published on-line at 0800 this morning.

What To Do With A Retired Husband: Chapter 1 of 3 - Forbes
Chapter 2 of 3 is now on-line.

What To Do With A Retired Husband: Ch. 2 of 3: The Biggest Mistake I Ever Made With A Client's Wife - Forbes

I only posted these because the subject has come up several times, usually by a frustrated wife, and just wanted to proffer an additional resource that may or may not help someone.

Last edited by volosong; 05-19-2015 at 08:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or