U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 08:59 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Chapter 2 of 3 is now on-line.

What To Do With A Retired Husband: Ch. 2 of 3: The Biggest Mistake I Ever Made With A Client's Wife - Forbes

I only posted these because the subject has come up several times, usually by a frustrated wife, and just wanted to proffer an additional resource that may or may not help someone.
I read the first 2 chapters and frustrated wives is definitely his target audience. Maybe in the third chapter he will pretend that the men have brains also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2015, 05:44 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
What I've noticed is that some of us age faster than others. And of course, some of us retire later that others.

But TV is boring. I don't know how people can watch network or cable TV all day.
What's the difference between sitting on a couch and watching TV all day and sitting on a beach chair down by the water or outside at the pool all day? Sitting on a park bench all day? Sitting on a bench at the mall while the wife shops all day? Sitting at the country club all day? Sitting at your desk and posting all day? Sitting at an outdoor café and complaining about your husband all day?

Old 05-20-2015, 08:04 AM

23,587 posts, read 17,574,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What's the difference between sitting on a couch and watching TV all day and sitting on a beach chair down by the water or outside at the pool all day? Sitting on a park bench all day? Sitting on a bench at the mall while the wife shops all day? Sitting at the country club all day? Sitting at your desk and posting all day? Sitting at an outdoor café and complaining about your husband all day?
These other activities generally involve being outside and seeing other people, or will probably involve some sort of socializing. Even posting on here, we're interacting with others. You aren't doing that watching TV.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:55 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
These other activities generally involve being outside and seeing other people, or will probably involve some sort of socializing. Even posting on here, we're interacting with others. You aren't doing that watching TV.
I'm not seeing the difference if the issue is not doing anything. Personally, I don't turn the TV on until dinner time but I don't see a difference between sitting on the beach or beside the pool or at the mall and sitting on the couch.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:11 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,124,219 times
Ask the guy to sit down with us at 18 house, Engine 8, he'll never be the same again, we have a retired couple hanging around a few days a week and they love it, we're easy to love, they have the coffee ready after a call, and granny stops by our kitchen working on the morning goodies, they say Fireman make the best cooks, truth is, we never had it so good.Added bonus, they love walking our house dog together, their having the best time of their lives and were better off for it.

Also-They dress spot on, Navy blue 5.11 Tac pants, black belt, silver buckle with a Navy blue Firehouse Tee shirts.

They look and act the part. We'd be lost with out them..

Old 05-20-2015, 12:31 PM

241 posts, read 226,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightly Knight View Post
Ask the guy to sit down with us at 18 house, Engine 8, he'll never be the same again, we have a retired couple hanging around a few days a week and they love it, we're easy to love, they have the coffee ready after a call, and granny stops by our kitchen working on the morning goodies, they say Fireman make the best cooks, truth is, we never had it so good.Added bonus, they love walking our house dog together, their having the best time of their lives and were better off for it.

Also-They dress spot on, Navy blue 5.11 Tac pants, black belt, silver buckle with a Navy blue Firehouse Tee shirts.

They look and act the part. We'd be lost with out them..
That is really cool. Post of the week.

Old 05-20-2015, 01:27 PM

2,014 posts, read 1,254,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
From Forbes - "What to do with a retired husband: Chapter 1 of 3", by Robert Laura. Published on-line at 0800 this morning.

What To Do With A Retired Husband: Chapter 1 of 3 - Forbes

brief quote:

I've seen this subject come up several times in my readings of this sub-forum. I look forward to chapters 2 and 3.
Never have understood the mania some have for managing some other person's life. Wives in particular need to give it a rest, there is no requirement that a retired husband meekly subordinate what he wants to do to his wife's world view. He's an adult, let him make his own decisions.

Old 05-20-2015, 02:33 PM

3,911 posts, read 2,879,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer0101 View Post
Never have understood the mania some have for managing some other person's life. Wives in particular need to give it a rest, there is no requirement that a retired husband meekly subordinate what he wants to do to his wife's world view. He's an adult, let him make his own decisions.
I do wonder what the end game is. Why do they really care what he is doing? I get it if he is actively doing things that interfere or spending too much or whatever. But it seems to mostly be complaints about him relaxing.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:22 PM

6,973 posts, read 3,870,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvedTones View Post
I do wonder what the end game is. Why do they really care what he is doing? I get it if he is actively doing things that interfere or spending too much or whatever. But it seems to mostly be complaints about him relaxing.
I believe that if one of these people was required to articulate exactly why they are complaining they could not come up with an answer; it is simply a matter of trying to exert control over someone they have no business trying to control.

Old 05-20-2015, 04:22 PM

4,845 posts, read 4,959,765 times
I think the real problem is that he's been away during the day working for 40 years and now he's home all the time.

She was used to doing her own thing and now he's there all the time.

So I guess they ought to jointly agree on a new plan before they drive each other nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or