Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:31 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,828,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
I believe retiring can be hard on both, at least it was for my parents. My mom finally wanted to enjoy being at home "puttering" as she called it. Dad wanted to travel. He was no couch potato he kept their house, cars and the neighborhood in tip top shape, but he was bored. I think that's what caused his heart attack and death. He was miserable. I think he would of been happier if he stayed working.

A couple needs to retire with the same wants and needs, imo.
Sorry to hear that. In similar situations, people should consider travelling alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 10:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,126,152 times
What I've noticed is that some of us age faster than others. And of course, some of us retire later that others.

But TV is boring. I don't know how people can watch network or cable TV all day.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:46 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,422,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I kind of think the whole headline isn't very respectful of either spouse.

It's not one spouse's job to "do with" (read, entertain) the other spouse. They are both supposedly adults, responsible for themselves.
TOTALLY agree! It's as if the poor guy is some deadweight lawn ornament, and it is wife's self-imposed martyrdom to move him from one side of the yard to the other while complaining loudly to the neighbors.

Women, listen to yourselves, for heaven's sake! Nobody with half a brain requires moment-by-moment babysitting once they're over 21. OK, in my older son's case, once he was over 25. Maybe 26...well, who's counting - you get my meaning.

To the OP - the woman in the article sounds like a manipulative you-know-what. Starts with "b", rhymes with "hitch".

Jeez, I am so glad I don't have a wife. Or a husband who behaves like a manipulative hitch.

Yeppers. That's another piece of evidence to support my ground truth: I will NEVER get married again.

Old 05-19-2015, 04:14 AM

890 posts, read 881,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Then after that comes the booze.
Sounds like the Villages!

Old 05-19-2015, 04:57 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,124,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconisgood View Post
Yardwork & Alcohol, problem solved!
That was the recipe for one man that I know. Wine starting almost with breakfast.

Actually, his wife took up a hobby which required her to travel a week or so every month to different places in the US leaving him to have 100% of the care giving responsibility for their three grand kids plus 100% of the household responsibilities (cooking, cleaning, bill paying, etc) ALL of the time.

I am VERY jealous of her.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:37 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,905,499 times
From the article, it appears that the complaints are coming, not from working women, but women who are usually around the house much or most of the day, with a free reign to do whatever they want while the husband works and makes the money. Now, that he retires, she doesn't like it in spite of the fact that he probably made most of the money that affords them the lifestyle. Now they aren't happy with the change and God forbid the women be unhappy. The husband must change so that the little woman isn't unhappy.

Retirement involves lifestyle changes for everyone in the house. Period. IMHO, you have a sick situation when one spouse thinks that it is the others responsibility to make them happy.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:39 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,044,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I kind of think the whole headline isn't very respectful of either spouse.

It's not one spouse's job to "do with" (read, entertain) the other spouse. They are both supposedly adults, responsible for themselves.
Bingo!!!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:46 AM

708 posts, read 720,648 times
I'm thinking a person (especially guys) need a plan to retire. We are so engaged in making sure we have enough money to retire we forget to figure out what to do to when we retire. I know I am retiring in 3 years and I need to work on a plan. Watching TV is last thing I want to do. Watched enough already to last a life time as we live in cold weather in the winter. We have purchased a winter home in Florida in 55+ community with golf course because I know I will drive my wife crazy if I sit home and I don't want to sit home. We plan on being active in the community with activities and I have purchased a nice camera and getting into photography. We are starting to plan where we want to travel etc. There is so much to experience in Florida, Georgia and whole south east area I think we stay busy. Anyway my whole point is to plan, plan, look at as your new job!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:53 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,153,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Equal rights? Don't think so.. If your wife who never contributed to the family income sits home watching tv. Nag her for a change!
She contributed to the family income by sparing the "income earner" from having to hire a whole workforce of nannies, cooks, cleaning people, personal shoppers, etc. Are you kidding me with this?

Old 05-19-2015, 09:10 AM

241 posts, read 272,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I have a little game I play when I turn on FNC: I wait to see how long it takes before someone on the set blames Obama (or his administration) for something, it hardly matters what the subject is: they know who their audience is & design conversations to keep that audience happy. I rarely have to wait more than 3 minutes, I have never waited in double digits territory.

I would suggest a "Drinking with Barry" game using this technique to take shots but one would have a drinking problem in a very short time. It would be good for a party unless someone who takes FNC seriously is there. FNC does seem to have an overt agenda to scare old white people.
Could do the same game with CNN on different points of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement