U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 12:34 AM

1,433 posts, read 720,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by califlorida2 View Post
Is it maybe a case of your wife lives to work and you worked to live? I plan to retire next year myself. I haven't been married 40+ years like a previous poster, but we are close to 28 years. If my wife doesn't want to stop working when I retire, she's welcome to continue. I'm done. I think we've placed too much emphasis on making a living making money for other people not just to survive, but to get more stuff than or like the next guy. If you're able to live happily within a lifestyle that's comfortable for you, do it. Enjoy life. If that means retiring and doing nothing, or staying busier than you ever have in your life volunteering, etc., do it. I have talked to a few retired colleagues. Most view it as the right decision. For the most part they are busier (and happier, healthier) than when on the job. Even the ones that left basically kicking and screaming. I've only come across one exception to the rule within my profession. Good luck!
Well said!

"we've placed too much emphasis on making a living making money for other people not just to survive, but to get more stuff than or like the next guy."

Reminds me again of a great aphorism:

"The things you own end up owning you" (Fight Club).

Also from the flick:

"Do you know what a duvet is?Its a blanket. Just a blanket. Now why do guys like you and me know what a duvet is? Is this essential to our survival, in the hunter-gatherer sense of the word? No. What are we then?We are consumers. Were the byproducts of a lifestyle obsession."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2015, 01:49 AM

7,980 posts, read 3,459,774 times
I had co workers who's wives didn't want them to retire. I truly wonder about their motives. These wives never contributed much to the family income. It's laughable how some men couldn't make a decision because of the wife and her opinion. I guess marriage is an example of who really runs the show.....

Old 06-06-2015, 11:34 AM

26,075 posts, read 28,478,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The reality of retirement is different from the fantasy, IMO. It is a shift from being involved to being an observer. Are you really ready to shift from a relevant guy to a guy who just watches the world go by?
I think there are a lot of faulty assumptions here.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 PM

5,767 posts, read 4,825,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I think there are a lot of faulty assumptions here.
I agree. We, and most of the retired people we know, are far more active after retirement. Some are just active recreationally, others volunteer for one or more causes, others spend time with their grandkids, some further their own education or travel the world.

I don't know what made my working life particularly relevant. I don't think that I was irreplaceable on my job. Really I was just another cog in the wheel.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:17 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,221,988 times
It would have been nice to hear more from the OP.
Could be he thought our comments were off base....OR perhaps they hit too close to home.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:01 PM

890 posts, read 676,616 times
My situation is just the opposite; my wife wants me retired now and I'm dragging my heels. My math tells me I can pull the plug now at age 60. Wife collects a small pension and we are similar in age. Let me toss one thing into this equation - the health of a spouse - that changes the dynamics of this unbelievably particular when chronic pain exists.

I've always bellowed that work is cheap adult day care and that I would work until age 70. I no longer think the latter and in a spirit of compromise, I'll likely pull the plug between age 63 to 65 years. I'm a business owner, enjoy the work I do so exiting is a bit more challenging and involved.

Have visions of being a bagger at Trader Joe's or be like this guy my age I chatted with at an airport when returning a rental car. He is retired but works 2 days a week for a car rental agency. He sure seems like he enjoys what he does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or