U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2015, 11:29 PM
 
Location: NYC
2,910 posts, read 1,590,302 times
Reputation: 7952

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately, we will have to wait to sign up for Obamacare. (I refuse to call it the "Affordable" health plan...at premiums of $1347 per month for a couple our age in Wisconsin without a subsidy, it's certainly not "affordable"). Our combined COBRA payments are about the same monthly cost. Also, my wife is having surgery in June and she has already met her deductible, so it wouldn't make sense to switch at this time. Finally, we are moving to Arizona in September, so no need applying for the other plan until after we arrive there.
Congrats on retirement! I've just started setting the alarm clock after 18 months (just to keep from being too late a riser sometimes). I would be interested in hearing about your transition into the 55+ community, it's something I never considered but a lot of people here seem to enjoy it, I would like to visit one someday just to see what they are all about.

As far as healthcare it really varies from state to state, what type plan & what your previous coverage was. I know that for me Obamacare was substantially less expensive than the COBRA I had opportunity to take, substantially. ( I retired at 63 ) And I realized a few months in I had totally confused myself about the income tax adjustments for them since I don't have a pension & I am waiting till 66 for SS. I'm getting that fixed now so it should be even cheaper!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2015, 12:18 AM
 
14,260 posts, read 24,000,210 times
Reputation: 20076
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately, we will have to wait to sign up for Obamacare. (I refuse to call it the "Affordable" health plan...at premiums of $1347 per month for a couple our age in Wisconsin without a subsidy, it's certainly not "affordable"). Our combined COBRA payments are about the same monthly cost. Also, my wife is having surgery in June and she has already met her deductible, so it wouldn't make sense to switch at this time. Finally, we are moving to Arizona in September, so no need applying for the other plan until after we arrive there.

If you are expecting AZ to be much cheaper, don't. We would have preferred to gone on a COBRA plan when my wife retired BUT if we accepted the lower COBRA rates, we would forfeit the opportunity for retiree health care which we can hold on to until we turn 65 and qualify for medical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 04:38 AM
 
Location: Sunny Florida
7,136 posts, read 11,017,375 times
Reputation: 9460
Congratulations on your retirement. My husband and I are 4 years into it and it's pretty awesome. We relocated from the Midwest to Florida, so now I wake up to warmth, sunshine, and blue skies almost every day, which is amazing. I can be outside year round without being cold, for the most part, gardening, playing kickball, walking, etc. We don't use an alarm clock anymore, but I still wake up at 5:38, the time my alarm clock went off my whole career. I'm hoping someday to sleep until 7, but other than that life is grand. I hope you find your perfect spot and enjoy retirement as much as we do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 AM
 
Location: AZ
484 posts, read 479,466 times
Reputation: 1554
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If you are expecting AZ to be much cheaper, don't. We would have preferred to gone on a COBRA plan when my wife retired BUT if we accepted the lower COBRA rates, we would forfeit the opportunity for retiree health care which we can hold on to until we turn 65 and qualify for medical care.
Well, I can only go by published premium rates that show premiums in the Phoenix area at $794 for a 62 year-old couple...versus $1,347 for the Milwaukee area. Our combined COBRA premiums are $1,500. I guess time will tell and we won't know for sure what our actual premiums will be until we sign up. The insurance issue was a major consideration/drawback to retiring at 62. Let's hope we survive until Medicare kicks in at 65...

Lots of people talk about alarm clocks after retiring. We actually had been in such a routine of waking up at 5:30 that we never used to set an alarm clock. I guess we had an internal alarm clock that woke us up. Unfortunately, I'm finding that the internal alarm clock is still working and I'm still waking up around the same time (even though I try to stay up later now). Unfortunately, I don't have a snooze button on my internal alarm clock...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Cochise County, AZ
1,318 posts, read 835,915 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Lots of people talk about alarm clocks after retiring. We actually had been in such a routine of waking up at 5:30 that we never used to set an alarm clock. I guess we had an internal alarm clock that woke us up. Unfortunately, I'm finding that the internal alarm clock is still working and I'm still waking up around the same time (even though I try to stay up later now). Unfortunately, I don't have a snooze button on my internal alarm clock...
Oh I know that feeling quite well! Years of getting up at 5 am, unfortunately my internal time clock has shifted a bit and I am now almost always up by 3:30 am

But just think ... when you get to Arizona you can start taking siestas in the afternoon

Last edited by Deelighted; 05-21-2015 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Southern California
372 posts, read 448,549 times
Reputation: 559
Default You need one of these floats. It's on my list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
*lol* No, I'd swim in it as well. Didn't think that part needed to be mentioned...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 10:39 AM
 
761 posts, read 638,772 times
Reputation: 2229
Keep the float!
I'll take what's on top of it. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2015, 12:34 PM
 
Location: UpstateNY
8,612 posts, read 8,306,152 times
Reputation: 7523
Congrats gbpakrfan!

My dad went to Sun City Hilton Head 8 years ago. They never sit still. They get home from cruising and RVing and recharge for a month or two, reconnect with their friends in the different clubs and go out a lot.

It ain't Gods waiting room, it's His party room.

God LOVES a party. -Joyce Meyer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 01:30 AM
 
Location: Las Vegas (Winchester)
412 posts, read 307,796 times
Reputation: 417
Join a gym and plan to go every day (you won't). Daily exercise with others will motivate you, keep you healthy, elevate your mood, and help you establish something routine that you do (or try to do) every day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2015, 04:48 AM
 
6,256 posts, read 4,737,090 times
Reputation: 12853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
.......The insurance issue was a major consideration/drawback to retiring at 62. Let's hope we survive until Medicare kicks in at 65.............
You may not like Obamacare but it is much better than what was available before. I held off retirement until I could get within striking distance of Medicare. Before Obamacare, private insurance was hard to get, very expensive and the coverage was minimal.

BTW, I found an interesting loophole in Cobra coverage. I was able to sign up for coverage at anytime within the first 6 months. If I signed up, I would have had coverage from my first day of retirement. I waited without signing up and at the end of the 6 months I had not needed Cobra and signed up for Medicare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top