U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 09:53 AM

1,227 posts, read 1,261,539 times

Advertisements

I still think the high crime rate and the very poor medical care are the biggest factors in not living in Florida. Otherwise, I would be there in a heartbeat. I spoke with friends who are still living in Florida and they tell me that it hasn't gotten any better and may be getting worse. My friends plan on moving. One set already has their house on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 AM

3,911 posts, read 2,881,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingatFL View Post
I still think the high crime rate and the very poor medical care are the biggest factors in not living in Florida. Otherwise, I would be there in a heartbeat. I spoke with friends who are still living in Florida and they tell me that it hasn't gotten any better and may be getting worse. My friends plan on moving. One set already has their house on the market.
It's a big state (the drive from Pensacola to Key West is over 800 miles); you can't make too many blanket statements with any accuracy. Many of my relatives are on the 4th generation in the same area (mostly Panhandle). Medical care? People come from around the world to Mayo Clinic's FL campus. Crime? You sort of have a point, but if you look at this list:
11 Of The Nation's 100 Most Dangerous Cities Are In Florida
you will see there are areas to avoid. Take those out of the picture and it isn't that much different than most states. There are several reasons not to consider FL, but health care and crime are not among them IMO.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift Away View Post
Absolutely love vacationing in Florida!! The beaches in the Panhandle can't be beat. On our last trip there, I was surprised at the number of people there from Texas, so that might tell you something. Have you thought about Gulf Shores/Orange Beach. AL? Touristy, but not nearly as much as Florida, but of course you'd still have to contend with the possibility of hurricanes. We thought about retiring somewhere in Florida, but between the relentless humidity and the possibility of running from a hurricane at 80, it just lost its appeal to us. We'll keep going, but as tourists...
I am certain I could be happy retiring there, but my wife not so much. So I may end up having a snowbird place or being a frequent visitor. The things that keep pulling me in different directions are #1 keeping the wife happy, #2 family mostly in the panhandle with some in JAX and ORL and #3 I am drawn to the area below the "almost never winter" line from about Sarasota to Melbourne. While my wife would not want to live there, I think she would snowbird in the #3 area. But that is still in the air. Fortunately I have some time to work it out.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:19 AM

20 posts, read 12,962 times
Default Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBlue View Post
Looking for opinions of retired folks living in Florida & Texas and other similar climates.

Husband and I have been discussing Florida as retirement location (in a few years). We like the ocean, scuba diving, etc. DISLIKE: Cold weather, snow, ice.

We've been considering the Venice area though are not set on that. We will not have to work, but would want some options in terms of entertainment, culture, etc.

We know that the heat & humidity in Florida can be oppressive (May-Nov?) as it likely would be in most of the Gulf Coast states.

I'd be interested in hearing other recommendations, experiences from people living the retired life.

We like Texas for lots of reasons. Florida for lots of reasons. No family pulling us one way or the other. We're open to consider somewhere else altogether.

If you like southern hospitality then Texas, if you are rude and snobbish Florida. I have lived in both the CC, and Punta Gorda area/s.I currently reside in Texas.

Last edited by bajsw6974; 01-16-2016 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 02-03-2016, 06:27 PM

474 posts, read 1,006,801 times
Love reading all of these posts, and all the info just adds to the confusion. We sold and left San Diego in our early 50's and moved to New Mexico to escape the population in SoCal. Bought in an area between Santa Fe & Albuquerque, a few acres, beautiful home, etc. Well after 7+ years we are bored to tears. Really miss being within a few hours drive to the ocean. Very isolated, poverty everywhere you go, and once you have exhausted the curiosity for hispanic and indian culture, there is nothing else. Everything is brown here. Very high altitude, thin air, very cold winters, some snow. And it is windy here, and I mean WINDY, at least half the year. Overall its nice but this is simply not where we want to end up.

Lived in Ft Lauderdale when I was younger for 13 years, loved it and partied hearty at that age, but ended up hating the humidity. After that in Scottsdale for 8 years, very hot but good for outdoor activities, lots to do, very clean and safe. Then we were back in SD for 9 years before the exodus to NM.

So now were looking for a new adventure, and realize that this will probably be the last big move and are having the hardest time deciding. We know we no longer want rural, city or very close to is better. Oregon? Washington? Maybe Northern Ca?

Have recently taken a few trips to NorCal and are liking the area north of the bay, like Sonoma or Santa Rosa. Also after a few trips to the Sacramento area we're liking the mix of mild weather, sun, proximity to the ocean, San Francisco, the Sierras, etc. So many weekend getaways can be had within two hours. Cost of living is higher though, so we know we would have to downsize which is okay.

Funny, but as we get older we're looking for more to do within a small distance. So many people I know, just like we did, want to 'get away from it all.' Well, we took that one too far, so are looking for that happy spot. We don't want to roll up and die, we want to get out there and be dancing with youngsters!

Last edited by trailtramp; 02-03-2016 at 06:35 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 06:01 AM

This time of year it becomes obvious to me that I will either go south for good or snowbird in retirement. I am not even where it gets crazy cold. We had an ice storm a couple of weeks ago and we will have freezing nights and mostly 40s in the day for the next few days. I used to deal with this much better than I do now. Heck, I used to live out west and enjoyed much colder winters. But I didn't have the joint pain and was drawn to more strenuous activities than I am now.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:22 AM

5,825 posts, read 13,324,952 times
We are snowbirds who spend the winter in the Keys. Although there has been an increase in new hotels up and down the Keys, where they have their own beaches, beaches are very limited. There is a lack of affordable houses and many of the workers find it difficult to eek out a living. Shopping is very, very limited, other than Key West. They are supposed to build a Wal-Mart on Rockland Key, but the permit procedure in the Keys ties things up for years. There are a lot of homeless people around also. Route 1 is treacherous with car accidents and many motorcycle accidents occurring on the daily basis. Most motorcycle accidents are fatalities. El Nino has caused extreme weather changes this year.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:43 AM

7,340 posts, read 16,653,411 times
Boy, isn't that the truth! Some mornings this winter, you'd never think this is Florida. Low this AM was 40, but have seen low down to 24 here in northeastern Florida. Got here in Jan '09 and would have never thought that any part of Florida would get this cold. Have already heard some snowbirds complaining about it. In Dec 2010/Christmas Day, it snowed right here in our apartment complex in the Baymeadows/Southside area. It wasn't sticking, but I got it on video, coming down pretty hard. There again, who would think.........snow in Florida?? We have a ice scrapper that we used when living in Colorado and have had to use that on vehicle windows for heavy frost. To us, pretty unbelievable, but true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
We are snowbirds who spend the winter in the Keys. Although there has been an increase in new hotels up and down the Keys, where they have their own beaches, beaches are very limited. There is a lack of affordable houses and many of the workers find it difficult to eek out a living. Shopping is very, very limited, other than Key West. They are supposed to build a Wal-Mart on Rockland Key, but the permit procedure in the Keys ties things up for years. There are a lot of homeless people around also. Route 1 is treacherous with car accidents and many motorcycle accidents occurring on the daily basis. Most motorcycle accidents are fatalities. El Nino has caused extreme weather changes this year.

Old 02-05-2016, 08:31 AM

6,324 posts, read 5,067,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
This time of year it becomes obvious to me that I will either go south for good or snowbird in retirement. I am not even where it gets crazy cold. We had an ice storm a couple of weeks ago and we will have freezing nights and mostly 40s in the day for the next few days. I used to deal with this much better than I do now. Heck, I used to live out west and enjoyed much colder winters. But I didn't have the joint pain and was drawn to more strenuous activities than I am now.
heck, I am in south texas and it is getting too cold for me here. Maybe it is old age. We have only had three minor freezes. Today was the worst - at 25 degrees! But I want zero/nada none!

Can't wait for the 90-100 degree weather. I told my sister that once I am free of my many pet obligations, I might "snowbird" down at south padre island.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:18 PM

576 posts, read 639,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
Love reading all of these posts, and all the info just adds to the confusion. We sold and left San Diego in our early 50's and moved to New Mexico to escape the population in SoCal. Bought in an area between Santa Fe & Albuquerque, a few acres, beautiful home, etc. Well after 7+ years we are bored to tears. Really miss being within a few hours drive to the ocean. Very isolated, poverty everywhere you go, and once you have exhausted the curiosity for hispanic and indian culture, there is nothing else. Everything is brown here. Very high altitude, thin air, very cold winters, some snow. And it is windy here, and I mean WINDY, at least half the year. Overall its nice but this is simply not where we want to end up.

Lived in Ft Lauderdale when I was younger for 13 years, loved it and partied hearty at that age, but ended up hating the humidity. After that in Scottsdale for 8 years, very hot but good for outdoor activities, lots to do, very clean and safe. Then we were back in SD for 9 years before the exodus to NM.

So now were looking for a new adventure, and realize that this will probably be the last big move and are having the hardest time deciding. We know we no longer want rural, city or very close to is better. Oregon? Washington? Maybe Northern Ca?

Have recently taken a few trips to NorCal and are liking the area north of the bay, like Sonoma or Santa Rosa. Also after a few trips to the Sacramento area we're liking the mix of mild weather, sun, proximity to the ocean, San Francisco, the Sierras, etc. So many weekend getaways can be had within two hours. Cost of living is higher though, so we know we would have to downsize which is okay.

Funny, but as we get older we're looking for more to do within a small distance. So many people I know, just like we did, want to 'get away from it all.' Well, we took that one too far, so are looking for that happy spot. We don't want to roll up and die, we want to get out there and be dancing with youngsters!
We just retired to Sonoma County and we absolutely love it here! We live in Windsor which is 10 minutes between Santa Rosa and Healdsburg respectively. We moved from the suburbs of Seattle where we lived for over 35 years. We still have one daughter in the Seattle area and another in Portland, so I might be able to help with COL comparisons, real estate choices, lifestyle, climate, sociology, etc. We also know a couple who retired to Penn Valley up north of Sacramento. If I can be of any help, please PM me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or