U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 06:30 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,887,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as we know the wild card is medical. so far this decade rises in medical and healthcare has exceeded the fall off in spending that folks see as they age.

so while retirees traditionally could get away with not inflation adjusting every year because what they stopped doing and buying offset what went up , the big increases in healthcare seem to be destroying that premise.

Hmmm. In looking at the 2 graphs it appears that the Advantage plans might be the best way to go for those in relatively good health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 06:48 PM

1,460 posts, read 1,163,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post

I understand almost all eyeglasses in the world are made by a single company in Italy. Prices are very high because of the virtual monopoly. Where are the Chinese when you need them?
The Chinese are there for cheap glasses if you are willing to give them a try! My husband has had all kinds of eyes problems in the last 5 years or so. To start with, he was very nearsighted and had astigmatism. As he got older, he had worsening cataract in one eye requiring changing prescriptions every few months and a huge difference in prescription strengths between two eyes. Cataract surgery helped to restore the right eye to almost normal but he still needed prescription glasses. He then had detached retinas in both eyes one year apart. The second surgery left him with double vision which requires prescription glasses with prisms.

He has very light blue eyes and can not stand glares so anti glare coating is a must and dark amber tint glasses are needed for driving and flying. He started out with progressive glasses but with stronger prescriptions they did not work too well for flying (poor peripheral vision). So he needs several pairs of glasses: single vision for reading, single vision for computer/TV watching, bifocal with the top for far vision and bottom for reading/photography/videography, bifocal with top for far vision flying/driving and bottom for avionic/car panel viewing.

My eyes are not as bad as my husband's eyes but I also find the use of combination of single vision and bifocal glasses for different purposes useful. So we each own half a dozen pairs of glasses!

We spent a fortune on glasses before discovering zennioptical and eyebuydirect with the latter a bit more expensive but offers bifocals with prisms for my husband.

I highly recommend checking them out. Start with zennioptical and read their instructions on how to order the correct glasses. The pupillary distance measurement is important. Prescriptions purposely omit this information but you can either measure it yourself or have another person to help. It is important to know that the PDs from the center of the nose bridge to each eye can be different in some people. Zenniglasses starts at $6.95 a pair single vision with flat rate shipping of $4.95 per order. I remembered the first time that we ordered from zenni optical for a spare pair after paying hundreds of dollars for the type of prescription glasses at the local shop. I was astonished to find that zenni only charged $5 for anti glare coating vs $75 at the local shop & zenni pair cost 1/10 of the local shop price! To make matter worse, the expensive local shop pairs did not fit and we had to send them back for adjustment or replacement which took 2 extra weeks. The most we paid for a pair of tinted progressive sunglasses with coating was ~$42. They are so cheap so why not giving these Chinese shops a try. Order a simple pair to see how it works before ordering fancier frames with extras etc.

Last edited by BellaDL; 05-28-2015 at 07:07 PM..

Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 PM

6,358 posts, read 4,786,243 times
Thanks for the follow up on the eyeglass issue. Hopefully we will see the Chinese bring some serious competition to this market. Next, as a photographer, I would like to see them enter the field of photography gear.

Old 05-29-2015, 04:31 AM

72,227 posts, read 72,173,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Hmmm. In looking at the 2 graphs it appears that the Advantage plans might be the best way to go for those in relatively good health.
depends , you have little flexibility in some areas and out of pocket drug costs as an out patient can be uncapped . my co-worker pays 4500 per chemo treatment with his advantage plan and everything is a battle as they deny him this or that treatment for his wife.

with medigap there is no denying or arguing as there is with an advantage plan . if medicare covers it they have to pay..

many advantage plans have little coverage if you travel as they may offer little in network.

they can be cheaper but you don't know until the very end . they may only be cheaper until they are not.

Old 05-29-2015, 05:18 AM

A supplemental plan has a lot of advantages. Plan coverage has been standardized by the Federal government so you know what you are getting. For Advantage plans, you need to read and understand the fine print. That is all but impossible and of course what you miss or do not think is important will likely bite you later on. Most Advantage plans save money by restricting services and restricting providers. No thanks.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:45 AM

72,227 posts, read 72,173,749 times
i am getting nervous , we agree to much lately ha ha ha

Old 05-29-2015, 07:07 AM

That will take all the fun out of arguing.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:37 AM

698 posts, read 318,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I"m curious, if you are retired or will soon be please post at what age, state, cash flow from different sources (pension, social security, investments), debt and mortgage if any. I want to see where I stand in my plans or if I am being overly concerned and won't let myself relax enough to retire.
55 now, retire in 403 days at 56. Living in MN for now.

No mortgage. No debt. Eight properties, 24 renters. Five mortgages, including my own, are paid off.
  • Small VA disability, 10%
  • Rental income until I am ~62, which provides about 3 - 4x what I need. I will keep saving for a few years.
  • Investment income partial draw, maybe 2% at 62. I want to move to a tax-free state by then.
  • Pension kicks in at 65
  • SS planning on 70, but who knows. Maybe earlier. It will be near the max.

Start selling rentals at some point, one every other year, maybe the first one at the 62-65 age range.

Healthcare is provided by VA. I will probably buy a bronze policy, in case I need a second opinion or emergency care where I wind up in a private hospital for a bit. Any care I receive at the VA offsets the any deductible.

I do not want to worry about spending an extra $20, ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement