U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 06:50 AM

10,461 posts, read 5,930,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I retired at 62 plus 2 months and began collecting SS right then.
I'm working part-time from home for my old boss about 10 hours a week or so.

I think I nailed it because my blood pressure has dropped like 10 points.
I was working 50-60 hours a week every week, some weekends, constantly on-call, missing sleep, and just being tired.
Yeah, I know, that's my fault, not the company's fault, but it's the kind of person I am if there's work to be done.

I'm in the boat with those who "Take it early if you don't need it".
I love retirement. I'm busy all the time, I'm having fun and doing things I want to do (unless it's raining hard, lol).

I did have a screw-up.
The second year of retirement SSA took back about $7,500 from the first year, a noticeable amount, due to what was obviously two screw-ups on their part. (It should have been about $3,000). They had for some reason back-dated (thus lowered) my payments to before I actually retired or even applied, and they counted income received before I had even applied against my benefits as "excess working while retired income"

After countless hours on hold and waiting for call-backs the phone with SS, I learned to not waste time with them on the phone. The worst is waiting for the "we'll investigate and get back to you in 30 days"
So I went to the local office a couple of times and spent hours waiting for my number, then had to get some form or info from my employer to come back later. Then, Oh we don't need that.

The person I'd been working with finally said "I'm sending you to talk to my supervisor because I refuse to tell you what I've been told to say". So then I went to him and spent an hour being told BS things like, if you insist that we recalculate, we'll reduce your payments by $50 a month. And "the lower monthly payments you're getting will get you more money in the long run."

My wife finally put her foot down and said "No more wasting time there and getting angry. Take the hit and come have fun with me instead". She is a very smart woman.
This is what terrifies me about the SS Admin. The supervisor actually threatened you with a permanant $50 reduction because you were an inconvenience? That is just horrible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 07:07 AM

71,592 posts, read 71,751,865 times
i would count on them for as little as possible. do you actually think if you asked the clerk what is best you would get a detailed analysis like i got ? never .

the good news is things got a lot simpler with the new changes and most of the options are now gone .

but still , one bad mistake in judgement can leave lots of dollars on the table .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-19-2015 at 08:16 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 08:10 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
This is what terrifies me about the SS Admin. The supervisor actually threatened you with a permanant $50 reduction because you were an inconvenience? That is just horrible!
Yes, horrible, but also difficult to believe. If true, that supervisor should be reported.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:05 AM

6,316 posts, read 5,058,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
didn't sound like a threat - more like "stop asking" or this will happen - we are doing you a favor - don't rock the boat.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:52 AM

4,365 posts, read 3,702,696 times
Nailed it

Old 12-19-2015, 10:14 AM

79 posts, read 124,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Good gracious... yes, totally agree with you, how many times has all this been said.
I'm new to this forum but I never hear anyone speak of working and start collecting SS at FRA. Hubby will be 66 in February and he still works a full time government job. Should he double dip? Thoughts? Our nest egg is small but monthly income will be fair when all is said and done. If we double dip our nest egg will grow at a rapid rate...TY for any feedback in advance~M

Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 AM

71,592 posts, read 71,751,865 times
if you read through the threads you will see there is so much involved based on each individual circumstance that no one can shoot from the hip with an answer for you ..

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-19-2015 at 11:09 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 12:29 PM

10,461 posts, read 5,930,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
didn't sound like a threat - more like "stop asking" or this will happen - we are doing you a favor - don't rock the boat.
It was most definately a threat.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:54 PM

49 posts, read 33,610 times
Yes, I ended up doing best-case. Spouse died when we were both in our mid 50s. I was planning on waiting until my FRA of 66 before claiming anything at all, but by age 62 money was so tight that I need something (anything!) for income -- was mid-Great Recession so no chance of employment. So I took my own (much smaller, and then also reduced) SS benefit at that point, then applied for the widow's benefit at age 66. By doing it that way, I ended up with almost 30K more than if I'd followed my original plan of not collecting anything at all until age 66.

However, I would now be receiving $100 more per month if my spouse had died after reaching FRA instead of before, but of course that was something entirely out of my control.

Something that really irked me was that the SS rep did not tell me that if I waited just THREE more months (until my birthday) to start claiming, I would be receiving $40/mo more for those first four years. She also backdated the start date "to give me a few more months' payment up front" but of course that helped to reduce the benefit amount...something else she didn't bother to mention. Yes it was "only" about $2000 lost overall but by the time I discovered that, it was past the time limit to change anything.

Last edited by Coronaria; 12-19-2015 at 04:10 PM..

Old 12-19-2015, 08:45 PM

1,162 posts, read 650,159 times
[quote=Coronaria;Yes it was "only" about $2000 lost overall but by the time I discovered that, it was past the time limit to change anything.[/quote]

That's too bad. Not all SS workers are equal. My sister got lucky. She had to quit her job and went to SS to apply and was advised to wait a few months till FRA, that would be to her advantage. And it was.

I'm happy with what we're doing. At 66 I began collecting. DH is waiting but his is growing more than it would have. I am able to "quit" what I was doing for our company and he is getting my former salary besides his own so he's replacing some low income years with higher ones. And if something happens to him I will be much more able to support myself on spousal.

No, we don't know how long we'll be living, but funds are growing and my outlook is better. Now, where's that crystal ball?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or