U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 03:05 PM

2,748 posts, read 3,349,429 times

Advertisements

Ohio. Below the snow belt. Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 05:33 PM

5,559 posts, read 3,687,391 times
Seems like a very nice town but may be a bit small for us. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 05-24-2015, 05:36 PM

16,042 posts, read 19,017,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Seems like a very nice town but may be a bit small for us. Thanks for the suggestion!
Outside of NY state, there are not that many med/large cities in the Northeast. Boston, Hartford, Burlington Vt, Portland (forget Worcester, ditto Springfield). The cities are laced together by towns. More info on what you're looking for?

Old 05-25-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I wanted to rep you but it wont let me. You have the exact piece of it. We here in MA have a very good state to live and even retire in if you do not mind the occasional 3 foot snow storms. Points to be made here are in standard of living, cost of living, health care, activities, people in general, Red Sox, Patriots, and Bruins (Celtics if you like basketball). We have oceans and mountains in easy drive. We have good food and decent roads. All of that makes my decision harder when I do retire. I will need to find a place to replace most if not all should I decide to move.
Aw, you're making me all nostalgic about our state, lol. We do have it good here compared with many parts of the country. Yes the winters can be the true test of the spirit. A state is more than its climate and weather, though. A state is a culture in and of itself. Everyone resonates with their general kind of culture and that is what trumps all when it comes to where to live.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:15 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Aw, you're making me all nostalgic about our state, lol. We do have it good here compared with many parts of the country. Yes the winters can be the true test of the spirit. A state is more than its climate and weather, though. A state is a culture in and of itself. Everyone resonates with their general kind of culture and that is what trumps all when it comes to where to live.
Yes it is going to be hard to fully leave this state. I love almost everything about it. I have spent more then half my life making a home and family here. At a younger age I was much hardier and when winter ended I would flower like the wild crocuses in my lawn and begin the regrowth into summer. The first snows always pretty to see. It is those occasional Nor'Easters and blizzards that drive me to tears. It wasnt all that long ago I had told my wife that she could have a nice time if she decided to move south because I was staying put. It took the 3 foot blizzard in 2013 and my John Deere snowthrower attachment breaking to make me realize that I was deluding myself into thinking that I would be able to manage living in my current home into my 70s and 80s. My driveway is 350 feet long.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
Yes it is going to be hard to fully leave this state. I love almost everything about it. I have spent more then half my life making a home and family here. At a younger age I was much hardier and when winter ended I would flower like the wild crocuses in my lawn and begin the regrowth into summer. The first snows always pretty to see. It is those occasional Nor'Easters and blizzards that drive me to tears. It wasnt all that long ago I had told my wife that she could have a nice time if she decided to move south because I was staying put. It took the 3 foot blizzard in 2013 and my John Deere snowthrower attachment breaking to make me realize that I was deluding myself into thinking that I would be able to manage living in my current home into my 70s and 80s. My driveway is 350 feet long.
Well, you could move to a much smaller house with short driveway, or a condo, in our fair state....

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM

4,800 posts, read 4,864,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Well, you could move to a much smaller house with short driveway, or a condo, in our fair state....

Yes as it happens I still have that as a possibility. We are going to simply first sell the big house here. Bank the cash and take a long trip to South Korea. I think a year will be good and use Korea as a hub to travel to other countries in Asia.

Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 AM

5,559 posts, read 3,687,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
New Hope, PA.
Cute, but probably not what I am looking for.

Definitely a project looking for a place to retire that will be fulfilling and affordable. New England offers a lot but I have discussed the snow situation with others and it just doesn't seem to make sense to move to an area that is even more challenging than Chicago.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:17 AM

3,007 posts, read 2,182,067 times
I also vote for Cape Cod. I was born here and lived most of my life here. It is a prime retirement area, and the hospitals are good. It does get hectic in the summer of course.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:21 AM

987 posts, read 611,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I also vote for Cape Cod. I was born here and lived most of my life here. It is a prime retirement area, and the hospitals are good. It does get hectic in the summer of course.
This Rhode Islander also loves the Cape, got married there, and spent many summer vacations in this beautiful area of MA. But, the summer traffic can be tough, and with than in mind I would check out the less summer traffic areas of the southcoast towns such as Westport, South Dartmouth, Marion, etc. These towns have a village feel, and one minute your can be driving through beautiful farm lands and the next minute you are at the ocean and on a clear day see Martha's Vineyard in the distance. You are a hop skip to Boston, Providence, and Cape Cod and not too bad a ride to NH, ME, and VT. NYC is about a 3.5 drive away. Having worked in healthcare in this area, I would say the care is very good, and if high specialty care is needed Mass General, Dana Farber, etc., are not too far away. The southcoast towns also have a great senior resource system in place called the councils on aging which provide tremendous support to area seniors with services such as rides to the doctor, and many other health and social related services. Yes there is snow in these parts, but it does eventually melt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or