U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 09:03 AM

5,559 posts, read 3,675,129 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are 63 and retired, grew up in Brooklyn but spent the last 40 years in Chicago. We recently moved to Stamford to be near family that lives in Queens, Brooklyn, and Long Island. Our son recently moved to LIC and loves it (but hates his job ☺).

We are renting temporarily in Stamford while we look for place for retirement. We are active and like the urban culture but someplace with lower crime. Would love to hear from other retirees about where they are settling in the Northeast. We can afford a house or condo max $600,000 with no more than 20,000/year in taxes and utilities. Thanks for your ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2015, 02:17 PM

13,316 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Portland, Maine. Or many towns within shootin' distance of Boston (I live 25 miles from Harvard Square, with a commuter rail stop, and with your budget, could buy almost anything I'd like with some land. Best wishes on your search.

Old 05-23-2015, 02:41 PM

19,830 posts, read 18,839,234 times
Portsmouth, NH. Or you could find something around Saybrook CT and be close to family back in NY. Or as bightdoglover mentioned, with your budget you could afford several of the larger towns and small cities that offer a train ride into Boston. You could ask on the MA or CT forums too.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:37 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,295,185 times
OP- you've been asking this question for at least the past couple of years on multiple boards in the NYC area. You've had a gazillion replies.

You're in Stamford,- on CT's Gold Coast. While Stamford is not overall a million dollar city, you're surrounded by beautiful, safe towns where the bottom of the housing market is in the one million dollar range. Stamford is rated the 16th safest city in the country. You are for sure not in a crime ridden locale.- I don't know what you mean by looking for a safer city. For an urban area, near NYC, you're about as safe as it gets.

You lived for decades in Chicago ( talk about serious crime ) and you're worried about Stamford ?

In your past posts, you eliminated all of uber wealthy Westchester County, NY, all of Long Island close to NYC & the remainder of CT.

This post has you seemingly wanting to buy something. However, you were complaining the other day on the CT board about not liking a condo or a co-op as you didn't like dealing with management boards, etc. You have never before indicated you wanted a single family home as you wanted a dense, urban experience. That leaves places with rentable, high rise towers and from past posts you wanted something newer. Unless you have changed your mind, of course.

Do you still want to be an hour, hour and a half or so to Long Island ? All that's left is NJ, close in to NYC. In all your past posts, NJ has not gotten any positive attention from you.

If you are willing to get away from the NYC area, you might like something like Brookline, MA. It would be a major hassle getting to Long Island every week or so though.

I'm really thinking you're looking for a unicorn. You can certainly get a $ 600,000 single family home in Stamford and keep taxes and heat under $ 20,000 a year. You're going to have to do some comprising . Your posts are a mass of confusion and contradiction but I hope you get it figured out and can find a suitable retirement home. Good luck

Old 05-23-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Portsmouth, NH. Or you could find something around Saybrook CT and be close to family back in NY. Or as bightdoglover mentioned, with your budget you could afford several of the larger towns and small cities that offer a train ride into Boston. You could ask on the MA or CT forums too.
Don't know to much about Saybrook. I'll put it on my lists of possibilities. Thanks!

Old 05-23-2015, 04:15 PM

4,787 posts, read 9,295,185 times
It's Old Saybrook and it's been offered to the OP in the past. This is a town of some 10,000 people, not in the least bit urban. Nothing higher than two stories- LOL. No table tennis and no Chinese hairdressers anywhere nearby ( two of the OP's wants) .

It's a quiet shoreline town in CT with a winter population which increases with summer people. Multi family housing is not permitted- there are exactly six, legal, non conforming rental units in the town, all in old homes. There are a number of small townhouse or free standing condo complexes. Some may permit renting.

It's got beachy areas and otherwise is typical Connecticut single family suburbia. The Main St. area is walkable however. '

Basically it ticks none of the OP's checklist. If someone wants dense and urban, this isn't it.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:21 PM

Old Saybrook doesn't appear to be a candidate. However, someone did mention Montclair, NJ in an old thread and I may revise. At first I found the taxes to be horrifying but given the overall situation I may be willing to pay, even if I don't use the education system, of it is a nice place to live and I can find kindred spirits. I doubt any member of this forum has retired on Montclair, but if you know a retiree who lives there, I would love the hear about their experiences as retirees.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I are 63 and retired, grew up in Brooklyn but spent the last 40 years in Chicago. We recently moved to Stamford to be near family that lives in Queens, Brooklyn, and Long Island. Our son recently moved to LIC and loves it (but hates his job ☺).

We are renting temporarily in Stamford while we look for place for retirement. We are active and like the urban culture but someplace with lower crime. Would love to hear from other retirees about where they are settling in the Northeast. We can afford a house or condo max $600,000 with no more than 20,000/year in taxes and utilities. Thanks for your ideas!
With that kind of a budget I'd look into Westford, Mass., where my nephew lives. It's upscale and has many amenities for a New England town. Nice condos there too. Close enough to Boston, Newburyport, and Maine. If you want more rural, look into the Five College area of Western Mass. (Amherst or Northampton) - it's liberal, highly educated, and artsy, which you may like. That end of the state is close to the Berkshires (Tanglewood, summer theater) and NYC/LI.

Old 05-23-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
With that kind of a budget I'd look into Westford, Mass., where my nephew lives. It's upscale and has many amenities for a New England town. Nice condos there too. Close enough to Boston, Newburyport, and Maine. If you want more rural, look into the Five College area of Western Mass. (Amherst or Northampton) - it's liberal, highly educated, and artsy, which you may like. That end of the state is close to the Berkshires (Tanglewood, summer theater) and NYC/LI.
I was strongly considering this area but the recent winters struck me as a bit too much for a retiree to take on. Do you have any opinions on this? I visited Mass. many times when I was a consultant and always enjoyed my stay. It may have been my favorite state to visit.

Last edited by richrf; 05-23-2015 at 04:42 PM..

Old 05-23-2015, 04:41 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
I was strongly considering this x area but the recent winters struck me as a bit too much for a retiree to take on. Do you have any opinions on this? I visited Mass. many times when I was a consultant and always enjoyed my stay. It may have been my favorite state to visit.
The title of your thread states "Northeast." Winter is the same all over the Northeast - cold and snow. Five months, maybe 4 1/2 if you're lucky some years. If this is a concern, you will definitely not want Northeast.

We are mostly retired. Our family is mostly here. I have a love-hate relationship with the climate. Spring-summer-fall are heaven. I do not mind humidity. These days right now are glorious, just wonderful, cool clear sunny crisp, warm in the sun. Can't beat New England at times like this. Yet I have not forgotten winter. Many retirees up here are mostly not afraid of winter. We stay in when it's bad outside. Or if athletic there's skiing, snowshoeing, sledding, hiking, etc. We have tons of cultural things to do from book clubs to theater and concerts and art shows and author/writer readings, coffee hangouts, etc. Many are snowbirds. I"m so tempted to move south when we're in the middle of Feb. but we won't do that. We actually love Maine most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or