Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 11:15 AM

483 posts, read 665,246 times

Advertisements

Within the last couple of weeks, my wife and I both decided to retire at 62. Coincidentally, she retired May 1st and I followed suit on May 8th. On the 9th we took off for a week in Arizona for some R&R. It ended up being a house-hunting/buying trip, as we bought a new home in Sun City Anthem Merrill Ranch. (I'm still getting past the Sun City part...when I lived in Phoenix in the 80's, everyone referred to Sun City as "God's Waiting Room".) Although, SCAMR is an "active" 55+ community and from what we could see, the bulk of the residents (those who didn't head north for the summer) are right around our age (maybe even younger). So if this is God's waiting room, we're hoping we don't get called for a while.

The strangest thing about the first week of retirement was sleeping late and when we finally did get up, having no particular place to go. I think I can get used to this. Of course, the biggest issue is health insurance. For now we're both on COBRA but next year will need to look for other/better insurance. (I have my fingers crossed on that one, which makes typing extremely difficult. So I'll stop now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 11:31 AM

761 posts, read 832,314 times
Congratulations!

You made it, so now enjoy it.
I plan to retire next year at the age of 63.
I will be single by then and hopefully be able to manage debt better than with my wife who likes to spend, spend, spend.

My biggest concern will also be healthcare. Would be easier to go out at 64 and only bridge for 1 year.

My father was a postal worker with limited savings and no 401k.
He made it, so will I and so will you.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Healthcare is the top concern before 65 in retiring. The time thing you'll get use to. In a couple of years you will wander how you ever got things done when working. Congratulations. There are threads on insurance before 65 might read.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:27 PM

2,429 posts, read 4,020,364 times
Congratulations......it will be 10 years!...before I can join you and others in retirement land. Can't wait.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times
You might want to see if there's a cheaper health care option for you now. When I quit a job many years ago and paid for COBRA, I learned that I could get cheaper insurance even though I paid for it out of pocket. I switched to Kaiser. Not sure if that's an option where you are, but you might want to check out your other options. It was significantly cheaper for me to buy a different plan than to stick with the COBRA plan.

Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Congratulations! That's great that you both decided to take it together!

I'm still in my mid-50s, but I have a lot of older friends.

The first three weeks are the most awkward, according to friends. You'll have an easier time than most since both of you are retired and can schedule trips and activities together.

My advice is to establish a few routines: first, each pick a separate activity that you do apart for an afternoon or morning once a week. That might be volunteering or getting together with other retired friends to paint or play cards -- whatever! That way if one of you does have to take a trip or go to the hospital, you have an independent activity (or two) that is always on the schedule.

Second, plan something fun that you do together regularly. One couple I know took a world cooking class together, and one night a week they cook a dinner from another country.

After that, the other activities will start to take up lots of time. I know a number of retirees who complain that they are busier in retirement than they were when working!

Mainly, have fun and remember that this new lifestyle will feel normal in time. Perhaps you'll have a chance to do something you've always wanted to do but didn't have the time or energy.

God's Waiting Room . . . it's what you make it!

Old 05-19-2015, 02:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,823,165 times
Think 6 months to not get that ;isn't there something I need to prepare for on Sunday evening. But then when you remember your don't; its a nice feeling. Kind of like you have been on days off at first.Then you'll sometimes get that feeling at moments for first years at least.it passed with time.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:28 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,929,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Within the last couple of weeks, my wife and I both decided to retire at 62. Coincidentally, she retired May 1st and I followed suit on May 8th. On the 9th we took off for a week in Arizona for some R&R. It ended up being a house-hunting/buying trip, as we bought a new home in Sun City Anthem Merrill Ranch. (I'm still getting past the Sun City part...when I lived in Phoenix in the 80's, everyone referred to Sun City as "God's Waiting Room".) Although, SCAMR is an "active" 55+ community and from what we could see, the bulk of the residents (those who didn't head north for the summer) are right around our age (maybe even younger). So if this is God's waiting room, we're hoping we don't get called for a while.

The strangest thing about the first week of retirement was sleeping late and when we finally did get up, having no particular place to go. I think I can get used to this. Of course, the biggest issue is health insurance. For now we're both on COBRA but next year will need to look for other/better insurance. (I have my fingers crossed on that one, which makes typing extremely difficult. So I'll stop now...
I figure I have between 12 and 36 more months to do.

Did you feel weird not setting your alarm or is it every day is Saturday now?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:22 PM

426 posts, read 505,922 times
Congratulations! Well deserved and lots of changes in a week! You both seem to be the decisive type.

Why don't you go on www.healthcare.gov and pick a plan? Certain events like losing healthcare before 65 due to retirement allows you to have a special enrollment period and you have 60 days (before and 60 days after) to pick a plan.

It may wind up being way less than Cobra and because you would be in the special enrollment period now, you won't have to worry about an enrollment period when the cobra ends.

Old 05-19-2015, 06:58 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,234,864 times
Congrats! 6 months to go for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement