U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:16 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times

Advertisements

Since there is the thread for northeast, I thought I would throw this out there for slightly south of that region. we are currently in central jersey and have been exploring places to retire for quite a while. (we are both in our 60's. Dh turns 65 soon, and I will be 62. I am working full time and DH has been retired for a several years though lately has been working part time).
In the past, I always said I wanted a warm (hot ) climate but other factors have come up so I would say we still would like to be in the same general region, but of course not an inch north of where we are now.
Thinking of Delaware, Pa, possibly Md.
We would prefer to be within an hour (give or take maybe hour and a half) from Phil.

We would entertain a 55 plus community but it doesn't have to be.
We are in a large house but both grew up in small apartments.
Suggest away.
We are thinking of doing a bit more exploration along with a driving vacation through Delaware soon so anything we should make a point of looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 12:25 PM

688 posts, read 864,549 times
i live in southern new castle county, although i spent most of my life in maryland. delaware is of course appealing because of low real estate taxes, no sales tax, and its easy proximity to larger cities-philadelphia, baltimore, and washington, etc.

as it is a small state, 90+ miles long, it is easy to get from south to north; therefore even if you live near the beaches in sussex county, you can fairly easily access some of the cultural amenities,medical resources, etc. farther north- or the reverse.

many retirees go the beach route- lewes, rehoboth, and towns close by but farther inland. personally i'm not that attracted to the beach that i would want to live there year round. also the entire area is being overbuilt with condos and 55+ communities. but, you'd have to see if this is something you'd like. it is congested at least 6 months of the year, so visiting in the summer would be a god idea, to get a realistic view.

the central part of delaware- dover, smyrna,- has many 55+ communities which have become very popular. part of the appeal is the central location and greater proximity to the beach but not in the midst of the congestion.

the northern part of delaware, which is dominated by newark- u.de- and wilmington/suburbs, has greater access to phil. and nyc and probably more culturally than some other areas in state. there are 55+ communities in both as well as some condos on the edge of the city of wilmington which i find appealing. they have parks near by and are close to some museums as well. u.de life long learning is located in this area, if this might be an interest. also there are high rise condos/apartments in wilmington city at the riverfront,which is still in process of development.

i will add a word about maryland, in that a very charming small town on the upper eastern shore is probably about 90 min. from phil, and has become a retirement spot for many. this is chestertwn, on the chester river, and the home of washingotn college. for a small town it has many cultural offerings associated with the college, and some lovely homes in town walkable to many shops and restaurants.

if i can be of any help or need more information, please feel free to dm.

catsy girl

Old 05-24-2015, 12:45 PM

29,779 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
Since there is the thread for northeast, I thought I would throw this out there for slightly south of that region. we are currently in central jersey and have been exploring places to retire for quite a while. (we are both in our 60's. Dh turns 65 soon, and I will be 62. I am working full time and DH has been retired for a several years though lately has been working part time).
In the past, I always said I wanted a warm (hot ) climate but other factors have come up so I would say we still would like to be in the same general region, but of course not an inch north of where we are now.
Thinking of Delaware, Pa, possibly Md.
We would prefer to be within an hour (give or take maybe hour and a half) from Phil.

We would entertain a 55 plus community but it doesn't have to be.
We are in a large house but both grew up in small apartments.
Suggest away.
We are thinking of doing a bit more exploration along with a driving vacation through Delaware soon so anything we should make a point of looking at?
Lewes Delaware and surrounding areas are popular, that general Cape region including Rehoboth Beach.

Old 05-24-2015, 04:43 PM

1,802 posts, read 3,835,371 times
We just moved to a 55+ in Dover called Noble's Pond. Originally from western PA, went to a 55+ in SC (just south of Charlotte, NC) for 7 years and then back to Delaware. Should have come here in the first place! We are closer to our daughter and we like the area/people better here. We chose Kent Co. for several reasons. First, the prices of houses north and south seem to be higher than central DE. Taxes seem to be higher as well. Also we like the beach, we just don't want to be near them in the summer....way too busy. We will have a few busy weekends here in Dover (NASCAR race and a couple music festivals) but it's not a continuous thing. We can be pretty much anywhere in the state in about an hour or so, so nothing is out of the question. We are not people to need to go to a lot of shows or entertainment and we have found there is enough here for us to do and we can go to larger areas a couple times a year when/if we want. Plus the community here sponsors various trips, both overnight and single day, that we can join if we want.

Although we chose Noble's Pond, we really weren't interested in any of the other areas. Thought about Heritage Shores but neither one of us golfs, so couldn't justify the higher house prices or higher HOA fees. I would do some research on the areas you think you might be interested in and make your pro and con list. If you are interested in some information or have questions for a DE newbie in the Dover area please feel free to PM me. Plus I would be glad to answer any of your questions about 55+ communities both in this area and in general that you may have.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:21 PM

4,365 posts, read 3,700,708 times
Since you are open to almost any place close to Phila I would start out looking at state taxes, and also local taxes as you select an area. Draw a circle around Phila. Maybe 75 miles from Phil. I think you will find your best area west of Phila. NJ should be out do to takes.

Be sure to look at car registration costs, home owners insurance (flood Ins.) etc when you get close to a final decision.

Why the hour and a half? To visit family? Will you be doing this a lot? If not I would look to the south and a days drive away or maybe two days. That will get you to Northern Fl. Look in Ocala.

Old 05-24-2015, 05:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,975,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post

Be sure to look at car registration costs, home owners insurance (flood Ins.) etc when you get close to a final decision.
Not just the registration costs, which are usually not much, but annual excise tax on vehicles. Can be much. Utilities costs an vary wildly.

Old 05-25-2015, 11:58 AM

2,459 posts, read 2,101,901 times
Thanks for all the suggestions and information. The 90 minutes from Philly is because family is in the area. We are at the beginning phase of exploring. From what I observed with our parents, maybe in their 70s they were fine to drive and be active but driving long distance (over an hour) was less easy as they aged and over time was really not ideal. We ended up doing the drive instead but it was not an easy drive (NYC is never a delight) so maybe that tempers my thoughts, but just like with stairs and all, while we have no issues at the present time I know that those things do not get any easier.
Initially it sounds like Wilmington, Newark, and dover would be the starting regions.
Still welcoming any suggestions or tidbits.

Old 05-25-2015, 01:42 PM

19,838 posts, read 18,855,957 times
Quoting catsygirl:
will add a word about maryland, in that a very charming small town on the upper eastern shore is probably about 90 min. from phil, and has become a retirement spot for many. this is chestertwn, on the chester river, and the home of washingotn college. for a small town it has many cultural offerings associated with the college, and some lovely homes in town walkable to many shops and restaurants.

That's a beautiful area, the eastern shore. It's also cooler in the hot muggy summers. I would retire there except that my sister lives to the south, in Virginia Beach and I would have to cross over the Hellish Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (whatever you call it, I hate it) just to see her. But if I had my family nearby and not across that monstrosity of a bridge, I'd choose the eastern shore of MD. You have to like small town and semi rural with lovely ocean scenery. Birds, being outdoors. There were senior places being built there when I was passing through a few years ago and it was quite enticing. The signs said that medical facilities were not that far away either.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:01 PM

688 posts, read 864,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Quoting catsygirl:
will add a word about maryland, in that a very charming small town on the upper eastern shore is probably about 90 min. from phil, and has become a retirement spot for many. this is chestertwn, on the chester river, and the home of washingotn college. for a small town it has many cultural offerings associated with the college, and some lovely homes in town walkable to many shops and restaurants.

That's a beautiful area, the eastern shore. It's also cooler in the hot muggy summers. I would retire there except that my sister lives to the south, in Virginia Beach and I would have to cross over the Hellish Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (whatever you call it, I hate it) just to see her. But if I had my family nearby and not across that monstrosity of a bridge, I'd choose the eastern shore of MD. You have to like small town and semi rural with lovely ocean scenery. Birds, being outdoors. There were senior places being built there when I was passing through a few years ago and it was quite enticing. The signs said that medical facilities were not that far away either.

the hospital in chestertown and the one in easton- very charming mid-shore town- are now a part of the university of md. health care system, which may be a plus. at least it gives you a larger pool of medical resources from which to draw.

Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 PM

29,779 posts, read 34,867,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Quoting catsygirl:

I would give this thought a Bada Bingd if Maryland is a consideration. I personally have long term reservations about the fiscal state of affairs however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or