U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 02:52 PM

29,782 posts, read 34,871,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
This was a holiday weekend ??
From your location I can say to you congrats retirement can be a permanent beach vacation. We loved yesterday as folks left and while we enjoyed the crowded beach the empty one this morning was priceless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 03:18 PM

11,090 posts, read 12,473,002 times
"Do you miss working at all"?

OH hell no!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:16 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,015,830 times
I can honestly say I do not miss working and no one is more surprised about that than I am. I absolutely loved teaching and it was truly my calling and joy for 32 years. Unfortunately, with the advent of No Child Left Behind, aka No Child Goes Untested, teaching changed a good deal and not for the better. Then Common Core came in and I'm thankful I don't have to spend my days teaching to a test, using scripted lessons, shortchanging the students, and making testing companies richer.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:06 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,872,076 times
Absolutely I miss work. To this day I can not believe that I was actually paid to do things that I liked so much.

But there comes a time when one must finally retire.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:13 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,737,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Absolutely I miss work. To this day I can not believe that I was actually paid to do things that I liked so much.

But there comes a time when one must finally retire.
I kept waiting for you in this thread. Not you specifically but someone who was going to say that, unequivocally, he missed work. Good for you. You were blessed with enormous good fortune. Just look how rare your answer is here.

Old 05-26-2015, 10:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Do you miss working at all?

Absolutely NOT!

In everything you do in life, make a contribution to others, greater than what you take away ($$$, goods, or time).

You will find 'retirement' very delightful. (as well as work).

You may miss your friends, or your paycheck! In some 'classified / scientist roles' the daily contribution may be tough to replicate in retirement, but there are options (usually teaching / mentoring / contracting).

Miss the timeclock, meetings, yearly evaluations, petty complaining co-workers... ? Not me. (I left that gig at age 49)

In USA... you may miss the eligibility for healthcare that often came with a job. If you get terribly ill / injured in early retirement, prepare to die, or go broke attempting to live.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:07 PM

3,461 posts, read 1,855,966 times
At one time, I would have said retirement was going to be bittersweet, but since 2008 my current employer's byline has been, "do more with less". Raises, when we get them, are a percent or two, our work load has doubled and approaching 3X, when someone leaves we are expected to pick up the slack. I'm completely aware of those who can't find any job, good or bad, so I appreciate being employed, but glad I only have two years to go. Even though the OP was asking retirees, I can promise, I'm not going to miss my job.

Old 05-27-2015, 01:15 PM

983 posts, read 761,577 times
I do not miss working. The petty office politics, the need to "kiss up" to management - I am glad to be gone.

At the same time, I think retirement would be boring if I had nothing to do each day. But - I have a largish house (2000+ square feet) to maintain, a garden, firewood to split, church and community activities. So I have reasons to wake up each day. I think that is important.

Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 AM

761 posts, read 638,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
At one time, I would have said retirement was going to be bittersweet, but since 2008 my current employer's byline has been, "do more with less". Raises, when we get them, are a percent or two, our work load has doubled and approaching 3X, when someone leaves we are expected to pick up the slack. I'm completely aware of those who can't find any job, good or bad, so I appreciate being employed, but glad I only have two years to go. Even though the OP was asking retirees, I can promise, I'm not going to miss my job.
Yes, and particularly true with my IT job. We had a head honcho a while back that made us give up a productivity tool because it cost the company too much. Probably was cutting into his golden parachute or taking away a corporate lunch from some fat cat at the top. "We" had to work smarter.

Also, a big project is coming in and we are pretty much supposed to support it with little to no training.
Had enough focal point reviews, mid year reviews, endless meetings, deadlines and guidelines.

Counting the business days until I retire next year in May 2016.

Old 05-30-2015, 09:27 AM

484 posts, read 479,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
"Do you miss working at all"?

OH hell no!
I retired on May 8th and at age 61 1/2 and yesterday met up with some old work friends for Happy Hour. (Actually, when I say "old" work friends, that's not really accurate...I'm older than all of them). In any case, when we met in the bar it dawned upon me that they were coming from WORK...while I was coming from HOME. I was sitting there in shorts and tee shirt while they were wearing "work" clothes...okay, it was casual Friday attire, but still.

To listen to them complain about all of the stuff I was complaining about as recently as two weeks ago made me realize that I made the right decision. Do I miss work? Hmmm...let me think about that...

NOPE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement