U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 03:25 AM

4,845 posts, read 4,959,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borninsac View Post

Work is cheap adult day care.
That made me laugh

So my company is now offering me an 8 months of pay bonus to retire. I'll be 66 this year. that seems like a nice goodbye kiss.

I'll probable take it but I need that "Adult day care."

I wish they would just let me work about 2-3 days per week. I need the challenges and social interactions with smart people. I can't imagine having nothing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 08:22 AM

245 posts, read 79,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
For a looong time, I missed the 'habit' of work and the people and job satisfaction. Finally, after about 10-minutes of that, I stopped missing work and started enjoying retirement. I'm still doing that!
That was about how I felt. Except for me, it was maybe 10 seconds, just long enough to reach the door handles at the front of the office.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:06 PM

95 posts, read 26,562 times
I thought I did. Earlier this year, I was asked to guest lecture at a summer school at a local university. Great, I thought, a nice challenge. However, my mind went into overdrive and my sleep was disrupted. I then recognised the pattern from my working days and decided that despite the intellectual stimulation and the great discussions that ensued, I do not miss the daily stress at all.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:43 PM

530 posts, read 538,436 times
Previously posted by OP: “Deep down, I could really care less about the work I do or the people I work with.”

And, for that reason, I’ve spent the last year and a half fully-retired, with no inclination to ever work for wages, ever again!

Old 12-23-2018, 03:45 PM

205 posts, read 75,245 times
I hope to retire in a year and a half. I won't miss it. Over the years I think you realize how trivial most work issues are and how unimportant bosses and jerk co-workers were.

Old 12-23-2018, 05:16 PM

245 posts, read 79,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
Previously posted by OP: “Deep down, I could really care less about the work I do or the people I work with.”

And, for that reason, I’ve spent the last year and a half fully-retired, with no inclination to ever work for wages, ever again!
Exactly. Maybe if I was developing the cure for cancer or helping starving orphans in Africa or something, I would have loved my work and the people I worked with.

Bean counting in a cube farm with nitpicky bosses and gossipy coworkers? Well, I put up with that stuff for the paycheck and that was about it.

Old 12-24-2018, 04:37 AM

137 posts, read 65,565 times
I don’t think I will miss work when I retire in one year
After 42 years of stress, deadlines, impossible budgets and schs and some really mean people
And working 7 days a week for 10 months a year with after hours working expected and required
I’m looking forward to not having a watch or having to answer phones �� and being on a schedule
I just want to chase ms. gamboolgal around the house nekid
Oilfield was and has provided us a good life but it has been all consuming
Especially since living overseas in not so nice places the last 16 year

Old 12-24-2018, 06:28 AM

7,178 posts, read 6,471,667 times
Miss working heck no.After spending 50 years remodeling everyone elses home I'm finally finishing my own.A 1896 victorian.I work 10 hours a day and love it.Always looking forward to the next day.I am at the top of my game milling custom trim and building cabinets.Someone else will appreciate it in the future when I'm done enjoying it.

Old 12-25-2018, 11:47 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,462,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Do you miss working at all?
No, I do not miss it.

I traded my youth, energy and health in exchange for a pension. Now my youth, energy and health are gone, and all I have to show for it is my pension.

Old 12-25-2018, 12:59 PM

6,584 posts, read 3,670,806 times
I don’t miss it and never went back. I liked the people but never ascribed much to the negative culture of the place. In it but not of it, perhaps. I had a singular administrative sort of job that made that possible and I dealt as much with outside groups as inside so had a different perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement