U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 09:59 PM

983 posts, read 763,926 times

Advertisements

What if you are all retired? How can you be on different shifts? And - having people on different shifts can be problematic in terms of noise. It's hard enough to sleep during the day in a quiet apartment/house; if someone is fiddling around when you need to sleep - that's a real problem.

But I agree - get a bunch of introverts together and you could do the Golden Girls thing. Or maybe a bunch of extroverts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 12:08 AM

2,536 posts, read 7,741,282 times
One of my relatives lived in this kind of arrangement for several years in the 90's. A friend of hers owned a large home that she shared with her sister, my relative, and another mutual friend. They were all 60-ish divorced women. My relative was retired, but the others still worked, so she did most of the cooking, and took the lead in managing the household. It seemed to work really well for all involved until three of the four found new husbands, and they went their separate ways.

Old 05-27-2015, 12:25 AM

3,946 posts, read 4,151,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This is an interesting idea: Share the Golden Girl life Bankrate, Inc.

Have any of you tried this? Can it actually work?
I personally think it'd be fun. So long as we all share the same standards for cleanliness, and we share a consensus for who's allowed over and who's not. Oh, and pet friendly, just not too many. Parakeets and cats? A very real possibility.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:40 AM

733 posts, read 652,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
This is an interesting idea: Share the Golden Girl life Bankrate, Inc.

Have any of you tried this? Can it actually work?
Many times, it's a way to "age in place" when you are without a spouse. I saw this in Sarasota a lot.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:14 AM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
When I was first divorced I found living alone to be really lonely. It took me a while to get used to it and begin to actually like it. Some years later I made a big move to TX and everything I moved for fell apart..... a promised job became no job, closeness with son and his family became alienation. A woman I knew suggested I move back, said she'd find an apartment big enough for both of us. I discovered she was not too happy with the idea after it became reality. Being unemployed, having agreed to a one year lease, I felt pretty stuck. She was older than me and had this really big thing about men. I'd be home watching a program and she'd come in and regale me with the necking she and he had been doing that night, how his lips felt on her lips...... ad nauseum. Could not wait for the lease to be up. Found some work at temporary jobs with low pay. Eventually had enough to purchase a mobile home. Another woman I knew was going to leave her husband and needed a place to stay..... said she was having job problems so she moved in and I asked for very small amount from her each month. Then she pulls in the driveway with a brand new car and many bags of new clothes.
I'm not living with another woman again, I have promised myself that. I have a female cat and she is fine tho can be temperamental at times. But then she goes somewhere in the apartment and hides till she feels more social.
I don't know if I want to live with a man, either. He'd have to be one special guy. I like being alone, if I need social I go out for a coffee or lunch and take a book with me. People come and go and some chat for a while. I have finally learned to love myself.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:19 AM

116 posts, read 79,488 times
Default It's a concept I've been hearing about

At this point in time, I wouldn't consider roommates as an option. If there'd be a small home community of some sort (tiny homes, cabins, mobiles etc.) I'd definitely give it some consideration. Would have to be in the southwest, as I'm more of a desert rat. People being left and not having a support system with the resultant loneliness and isolation is a big issue in this society. I need to make a move, just not sure where yet We are social beings, and not meant to be left by ourselves just looking out a window.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:21 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,336,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There was a C-D thread on this a while back. You'd find lots of comments there.

I don't think I'd want to live with other women. Just too many areas (in living together) for risk. Maybe men, if they stay in their rooms and be quiet and mow the lawn and take out the trash.

You can hire people to do parts of your list, actually you can hire people to do all of your list.
It will save you the aggrivation of actually having to install locks on the men's bedroom doors so they don't escape.

Edited to add: Personally I preferred to live alone when I was single and if/when I am ever without Mr. CSD I will live alone again and no one but my Mother will have a key to my home.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:36 AM

3,919 posts, read 4,662,303 times
Nope. Won't do it. If I outlive my spouse, it'll be single livin' for me, thankyouverymuch. It's why my husband and I are working so hard to pay off our mortgage - this way neither of us has to worry about it when the other passes away. Insurance will help pay off the balance of whatever mortgage is left if one of us dies before retirement arrives. We're planning on keeping our current house so we can have any and all future grandkids come and visit during summer vacations. The only debate is whether to convert our formal living room and dining room into a first floor master suite so the extended family can have the entire upstairs when they come to visit us. We continue to go back and forth on whether or not to do it.

Old 05-27-2015, 11:54 AM

733 posts, read 652,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
Nope. Won't do it. If I outlive my spouse, it'll be single livin' for me, thankyouverymuch. It's why my husband and I are working so hard to pay off our mortgage - this way neither of us has to worry about it when the other passes away. Insurance will help pay off the balance of whatever mortgage is left if one of us dies before retirement arrives. We're planning on keeping our current house so we can have any and all future grandkids come and visit during summer vacations. The only debate is whether to convert our formal living room and dining room into a first floor master suite so the extended family can have the entire upstairs when they come to visit us. We continue to go back and forth on whether or not to do it.
Go ahead and do it. You might need to have your living space all on one level, if your knees give out or other age-related problems occur!!!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:53 PM

4,691 posts, read 3,263,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girldawg1 View Post
At this point in time, I wouldn't consider roommates as an option. If there'd be a small home community of some sort (tiny homes, cabins, mobiles etc.) I'd definitely give it some consideration. Would have to be in the southwest, as I'm more of a desert rat. People being left and not having a support system with the resultant loneliness and isolation is a big issue in this society. I need to make a move, just not sure where yet We are social beings, and not meant to be left by ourselves just looking out a window.
"People being left and not having a support system with the resultant loneliness and isolation is a big issue in this society."

That is a really important point you made. When my ex and I split, I was alienated from family, most of my friends were married and didn't want to be friends anymore, and while my ex caused the split, the kids sided with him and broke it all off with me. I was not an especially strong person at that time. I was getting stronger but had not reached the place I needed to be. So I was more or less facing life alone for the first time ever and scared to death. Of course my ex had his new woman and his mother refused to believe he was a cheater, etc. He moved in with his parents and his mother thought he was a hero because he even made his own lunch. Wow. My measurement for hero is a lot tougher.
Anyway, after a lot of years of floundering around, I got some really good counseling, made new friends, and started to heal.
That was a pain I never want to feel again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or