Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Can I Do
Convert it all to a ROTH and pay a really gigantic tax, more medicare, etc etc etc? But then have almost zero income thereafter. 0 0%
Convert to a ROTH is stages before age 70.5? 7 41.18%
Convert smaller amounts for years? 7 41.18%
Some kind of annuity? 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times

Advertisements

^^^^^ Yup, Yup with a Bing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 02:35 PM

76 posts, read 106,626 times
Perryinva.

You are starting to give me the feeling that it might be worth all the effort to explore it. Just the thought of not having to worry about the tax implications of doing something with my money gives me a great deal of peace of mind. Maybe "which way means less taxes" is not the main criteria. Future peace of mind is more important. Can I live well enough with what is left? Do I qualify for food stamps so I can eat lobster like the other food stampers? LOL!

I may look into the QLAC for part of it. Move a bunch from TIRA to Roth. Get my ass to a lower taxed state. Find out how to compute the increase in Medicare premiums.

I'm still worried that I will miss something and find that it didn't work as planned.

You folks are a wealth of knowledge. Please keep commenting.

Thanks.

Pete

Old 06-02-2015, 03:13 PM

7,515 posts, read 13,616,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCal View Post
Perryinva.

You are starting to give me the feeling that it might be worth all the effort to explore it. Just the thought of not having to worry about the tax implications of doing something with my money gives me a great deal of peace of mind. Maybe "which way means less taxes" is not the main criteria. Future peace of mind is more important. Can I live well enough with what is left? Do I qualify for food stamps so I can eat lobster like the other food stampers? LOL!

I may look into the QLAC for part of it. Move a bunch from TIRA to Roth. Get my ass to a lower taxed state. Find out how to compute the increase in Medicare premiums.

I'm still worried that I will miss something and find that it didn't work as planned.

You folks are a wealth of knowledge. Please keep commenting.

Thanks.

Pete
A current chart showing how the Part B premium increases with income level is at

Part B costs | Medicare.gov

Old 06-02-2015, 09:53 PM

2,782 posts, read 2,081,214 times
You are already past the age where Medicare premiums are determined. There is a max anyway, for any given year. Your premium now must be very low, based on your original income tax numbers posted, so during the conversion time frames, it may go up. The limit in increase favors the extreme conversion, of course because its only one year. Definitely worth doing the online tax forms to estimate, or at this point pay a tax accountant. Its straightforward, and better safe than sorry ; well worth the second opinion, IMHO.

I'd love to hear what the outcome was!

Old 06-03-2015, 04:37 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,730,320 times
I did not select a choice in the poll. I was taught to delay paying taxes as long as possible. I was also taught that tax deductions can be your friend. We maxed out our IRA's and loved the deduction. Even now that we are taking RMD's, and they are income, I am better able to pay the taxes and do not need the deductions I once needed.

Each case can vary.

Old 06-03-2015, 04:55 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
You are already past the age where Medicare premiums are determined. There is a max anyway, for any given year. Your premium now must be very low, based on your original income tax numbers posted, so during the conversion time frames, it may go up. The limit in increase favors the extreme conversion, of course because its only one year. Definitely worth doing the online tax forms to estimate, or at this point pay a tax accountant. Its straightforward, and better safe than sorry ; well worth the second opinion, IMHO.

I'd love to hear what the outcome was!
I don't understand your first sentence, although the rest makes sense to me. One is never "past the age where Medicare premiums are determined" because they continue to be determined on a year to year basis, based on income, no matter how old one is. What am I missing, or did you intend to say something else with that first sentence?

Old 06-03-2015, 08:33 PM

Well, the Medicare premiums don't seem to be a problem for me but nor do they increase so that is a disincentive.

If I continue with the MRD I will have my SS taxed at 85% for the rest of my life verses just one year.

Now here is where I totally blow my credibility. I don't use any tax program to do all this. I have a spreadsheet that I built back before Excel was created and I have been updating it every year since. It now has something like 30 separate worksheets to do what I need. It is at:

Income Tax Spreadsheet:

Now, I'm not fool enough to think this will always get me the right answer. So each year after I use these sheets to compute what I think my tax should be I then go online and see if they get the same answer. They don't but most of the differences are because I didn't answer some question correctly. Believe it or not, once I have answered the tax program questions correctly the results usually match my spreadsheets.

The advantage of the spreadsheets is you don't have to answer any questions. Just plug the numbers you want into the lines of the tax forms and instantly see the effects. It sure makes "What If" like this very easy and fast.

So I will now undertake a lot of "What If". This could take some time. If I have problems or don't understand something I'll be back here. I will also try to provide updates if anything significant comes up.

And if I actually do anything, I'll post that also.

Thanks.

Pete

Old 06-04-2015, 09:23 AM

6,626 posts, read 7,339,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCal View Post
Well, the Medicare premiums don't seem to be a problem for me but nor do they increase so that is a disincentive.

Now, I'm not fool enough to think this will always get me the right answer. So each year after I use these sheets to compute what I think my tax should be I then go online and see if they get the same answer. They don't but most of the differences are because I didn't answer some question correctly. Believe it or not, once I have answered the tax program questions correctly the results usually match my spreadsheets.

Pete
Very good idea. I think using the online programs as a check of your work is a very good idea.
I had a friend that did financial consulting(not tax). He manually did his tax return and then went to his CPA to have it done. If the two returns did not agree he reconcile. Like you, on first cut there would be some differences.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:24 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,212,776 times
Default Very useful Thread

I am retired. I reached 70 this year and have begun my yearly distribution from my traditional IRAs which is pushing me into the next tax bracket. This OP and its responses have set me off on a learning curve.

Everybody's situation is different. I suffered a financial set back 15 years ago but recouped, more by luck, than making good decisions. So I have a good cash flow from SS, and some small pensions which enabled me to leave the regular savings and IRA accounts to accumulate. Again this is just luck. An illness, remarriage, social security default, whatever, and I'll need my savings to live on. So I am always looking for cost savings. Right now, the biggest sucking money monster is the federal government.

ANYWAY, my government IRA account advertises annuities as a good rollover which I have to do this year. The return it advertises is 8% which I think is too good to be true.

Anyone have annuity experience to contribute here.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:15 PM

Well, 8% might seem high but they could just put your whole buy-in into SPY. The long term (30 year or so) average annual gain of the S&P500 (~=SPY) is over 10% excluding dividends. So they get to keep 2% plus the dividends.

Not a bad deal for them.

BTW I prefer QQQ to SPY, more volitility. I have all my IRA's totally in QQQ because I plan to live a long time and realize the long term average.

Using this logic I see no need for an anuity except I am looking into the QLAC only to defer part of my MRD to later in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement