Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 09:38 AM

81 posts, read 98,010 times

Advertisements

My grandpa worked in Chicago but had about 30 acres outside of the city and always planted the best sweet corn. Sitting on his tractor felt like I was 20 feet off the ground.
My best sweet corn moments were the yearly Corn Boil at the American legion. It was all you could eat and we would dip it in a vat of melted butter. I'm not sure how great the corn was, but the butter made it taste great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 09:40 AM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
My Dad was also a corn lover, and I remember we had to get it at a certain farm. He told me when he was stationed in post war Germany, the natives would laugh at the GI's for eating corn, "animal feed" as has been said.
Often in the summer, I'll eat corn for supper. Just corn.Silver Queen and Butter and Sugar bicolor. ����������

Old 06-07-2015, 12:01 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I remember walking across the street as a kid and picking our own corn, and my grandpa used to grow his own too, he lived right up the street. It was so good...this brought back nice memories.

Since I had a bout of diverticulitis, I can't eat corn any more. It's really bad for your colon (sorry to rain on anybody's parade here). Corn and popcorn are no no's.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:44 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Corn came from the supermarket in NYC, but when my parents took me to Indiana in the Summers, I saw a whole lot of cornfields. I suppose we got them fresh from there during my Indiana Summers. I LOVED backyard BBQ's there with the corn on the grill, rather than boiled in a pot at home.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:55 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,353,667 times
My earliest (childhood) experiences: a few miles from where we lived, there was a family who owned a dairy farm and also planted corn to sell during the summertime. Their policy: they charged one penny per ear of corn, but if you picked it yourself they'd only charge a half-cent per ear. So most of us who went there regularly did the latter. It was called "butter-and-sugar sweet corn," and was really good.

I also remember folks in that part of the state had a habit my family wasn't familiar with: putting salt on corn-on-the-cob before eating it. I never put salt on mine.

Old 06-07-2015, 05:20 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
If the corn is fresh enough, I always eat a little of it raw before putting it in the water. Very good, but not quite as good as boiled, buttered, and salted!

I also despise the super-sweet varieties, they're sweeter than almost any candy. Around here, we can buy those only in season, but the year-round corn here is good enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
I worked with a doctor from Romania who loved American groceries stores and the couldn't believe the variety when he immigrated here. He was amazed that coupons could be clipped from newspaper/flyers to save on food. He was horrified that we ate corn of any kind though, as corn was food for pigs only in Romania according to him. I don't know if this was a class thing or not.
Quite a few people in Europe starved during WW II because of this ..... apparently the feed corn there must be quite tough, it certainly wasn't like modern sweet corn. Even so, they should have had the brains to boil it however many hours it would take to soften it, or maybe grind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
What my sister and I miss the most from our late Dad's garden was those big juicy tomatoes!! Our favorite lunch was a thick slices of tomato smothered in mayo between two pieces of Sunbeam bread
Yes, and I had one just like the oldfashioned kind recently - it was an heirloom tomato, and cost $6 /lb, but it was worth it for that old-timey authentic flavor (I don't have a garden). No need for cheddar cheese slices or hot sauce, like I put on supermarket tomato sandwiches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
My earliest (childhood) experiences: a few miles from where we lived, there was a family who owned a dairy farm and also planted corn to sell during the summertime. Their policy: they charged one penny per ear of corn, but if you picked it yourself they'd only charge a half-cent per ear. So most of us who went there regularly did the latter. It was called "butter-and-sugar sweet corn," and was really good.

I also remember folks in that part of the state had a habit my family wasn't familiar with: putting salt on corn-on-the-cob before eating it. I never put salt on mine.
Dear lord, 6 cents per dozen?! Was that before or after the Whiskey Rebellion?

Old 06-07-2015, 06:46 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
oh yea, slathered in butter and then add salt!

Old 06-07-2015, 07:32 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I loved corn on the cob as a child, but you are wrong that there weren't different varieties. I've seen old adverts for different varieties of corn. Two that I know of were Country Gentleman, and Golden Bantam.

I try to eat a reduced carb diet, but I make exceptions for corn season. I eat corn on the cob when I can get local corn. And I thoroughly enjoy it. About 30 years ago, you had a hard time finding local corn in season, but now it is easier. And the newer hybrids are bred to retain their sugars longer, before going to starch.

Aside from fresh corn, I throw frozen corn in some chilis or stews, but I seldom serve it out of season, although frozen corn kernels are decent subs for fresh in a pinch.

Old 06-07-2015, 08:08 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,541 times
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sweet...l/390612533803

Loved this festival, but it always signaled the end of summer and the start of a new school year.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:13 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
I grew up a city kid in the Deep South and was not that overwhelmed by corn. Also hated that it got in between my teeth. Later in college I met students from the Midwest who raved about the corn grown in their states. It sounds great and someday I would love to try fresh Midwestern corn if I am ever in that region during the harvest months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement