Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 04:37 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times

Advertisements

Bette, we're going to Jupiter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:05 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
Bette, we're going to Jupiter
What? Not Venus? But then again, when you're on the downhill slide you do pick up speed.

Guess my planet!

Old 06-09-2015, 06:16 AM

8,612 posts, read 10,755,919 times
LOL Curm! Not THAT Jupiter, this one............

Jupiter Inlet Webcam

Today's revolt incluudes a doc visit at the country medical center, so breaking these out for our rainy day travel..........

Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 AM

1,727 posts, read 1,986,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I gotta admit that I am forced to deal with some of the problems mentioned above, and it can get me down. But then I jump in my old truck and I do put the petal to the metal and head for the mountains at any time I please, and I go on narrow backwoods trails and impassible (supposedly) jeep roads and I'm a 63 year-old single woman and I drive and TENT camp in those mountains and I get lost and I love it! I'm a retired librarian and I'm still curious as ever about the world - so many things to learn, and I've only got until 120 to learn them all! And I don't live in some snappy house with all the latest do-dads. Instead, I live in an old farm house in the middle of a vast hay farm and I love it. Who needs a dishwasher when you can have coyotes instead? I have a garden to eat out of; I have no money, so nothing to screw up financially; I just got a new male roommate that I may or may not have designs on (time will tell ). I have no spouse to issue me ultimatums; if people don't value my outstanding work experience, they will soon and until then it's THEIR loss; I have no children, but I do have young friends; and my rent is $100.00/month.

Everything else I'll worry about tomorrow should I live so long.
I love this! Colorado Rambler you sound like a very interesting person

Last edited by twelvepaw; 06-09-2015 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCc girl View Post
LOL Curm! Not THAT Jupiter, this one............

Jupiter Inlet Webcam

Today's revolt incluudes a doc visit at the country medical center, so breaking these out for our rainy day travel.............
Oh! Now about those boots...

Old 06-09-2015, 09:08 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Is this a GREAT IDEA, or what????

Just announced new medicare Plan G.

Say you are an older senior citizen and can no longer take care of yourself and the government says there is no Nursing Home care available for you. So, what do you do? You opt for Medicare Part G.

The plan gives anyone 75 or older a gun (Part "G") and one bullet. You are allowed to shoot one worthless politician. This means you will be sent to prison for the rest of your life where you will receive three meals a day, a roof over your head, central heating and air conditioning, cable TV, a library, and all the Health Care you need. Need new teeth? No problem. Need glasses? That's great. Need a hearing aid, new hip, knees, kidney, lungs, sex change, or heart? They are all covered!

As an added bonus, your kids can come and visit you at least as often as they do now! And, who will be paying for all of this? The same government that just told you they can't afford for you to go into a nursing home. And you will get rid of a useless politician while you are at it. And now, because you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any more income taxes!

Is this a great country or what? Now that you have solved your senior financial plan, enjoy the rest of your week

Old 06-09-2015, 02:23 PM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
I dunno, there's something to your idea, yet I can never quite get past the idea of that metal toilet that's out in the open where people can see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

This means you will be sent to prison for the rest of your life where you will receive three meals a day, a roof over your head, central heating and air conditioning, cable TV, a library, and all the Health Care you need.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourown2feet View Post
I dunno, there's something to your idea, yet I can never quite get past the idea of that metal toilet that's out in the open where people can see.
And don't forget your possible roommates.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post

Say you are an older senior citizen and can no longer take care of yourself and the government says there is no Nursing Home care available for you. So, what do you do? You opt for Medicare Part G.

The plan gives anyone 75 or older a gun (Part "G") and one bullet. You are allowed to shoot one worthless politician. This means you will be sent to prison for the rest of your life where you will receive three meals a day, a roof over your head, central heating and air conditioning, cable TV, a library, and all the Health Care you need. Need new teeth? No problem. Need glasses? That's great. Need a hearing aid, new hip, knees, kidney, lungs, sex change, or heart? They are all covered!

As an added bonus, your kids can come and visit you at least as often as they do now! And, who will be paying for all of this? The same government that just told you they can't afford for you to go into a nursing home. And you will get rid of a useless politician while you are at it. And now, because you are a prisoner, you don't have to pay any more income taxes!

Is this a great country or what? Now that you have solved your senior financial plan, enjoy the rest of your week
Very clever indeed. But I'm sure you know that the medical care prisoners receive is not to a very good standard. So, while prison may be better than homelessness, it is (in most places) a rather grim life. (I do realize your comments were not to be taken seriously, but I'm just sayin'.......)

Old 06-10-2015, 06:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Tomorrow is (partial) moving day. The stager for our house (hired and paid for by the realtor) says I have too much furniture and stuff, overall, so I need to get it all out of here except for a few pieces she has decided can stay.

So out it goes. Only problem is, the "stuff" is sitting on the floor and only about 1/2 of it is packed. I got up to finish some work ($$$) and wanted to see if anyone had anything interesting going on in their lives before I faced my very long and definitely torturous day ahead. Nice thread, Curm!

I wrote the preface to explain that despite the utter ridiculous chaos in my life right now . . . I have taken time out to think about the landscape of my life and what is on the horizon.

I like getting free tickets to concerts and events. I used to get them weekly -- sometimes daily! -- to events all over the state, in exchange for writing up something in the newspaper or doing a review, etc. Of course, those were the days when I was a newspaper editor and when newspaper sales actually meant something.

But that was 30 years ago. Today it is the internet . . . and I still like free tickets . . . so I decided that I am going to launch some sort of website having to do with interesting places around the state. Actually, I already have the website . . . just have not worked on developing it lately.

Free is good. And if I can figure out a way to get advertisers and make a little pocket change, that would be even better. That's the hard part. The easy part is having a reason to travel to different areas and events and venues, experience some wonderful bluegrass music or a nice vineyard . . . no charge.

So . . . that is my goal . . . new places, new experiences . . . and lots of photos and articles to write.

I agree. Time to have some fun.

I'll let you all know when I have things in order . . . maybe some of you would like to write "guest columns" about events in your state . . .

Have a good day, folks! And keep the good vibes flowing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement