Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:54 AM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I can remember such articles during entire 67 year I lived. Got to sell something is my view on many of these articles. It always seems the same ;how retirement turns out is more individual decisions unless lightening strikes; IMO.
It does get worse as far as the number of people who won't or don't have enough and lack of public funds to make up the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 10:03 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My (adult) kids are all millennials so my perspective is via observation. I have 2 savers and two spenders now.... but I believe all four will be savers.
All have zero debt from college, last one just graduated with his EE degree. My biggest saver was a Marine. He still drives his first vehicle he got from high school. I bought him a used Ford Ranger pick up. he has a ton of cash in the bank. The others have some debt (car loan) to no debt. None own a home... all rent.

Oldest is back in school for her doctorate.
One thing I see with Millies is they are generally not all that much into cars. If they drive at all (a surprising number have gone car free and will rent when they need one) they are looking for something cheap and functional. I see lots of old mini vans and SUVs that were left behind by Boomers and Xers, now being driven by Millies.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:45 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
One thing I see with Millies is they are generally not all that much into cars. If they drive at all (a surprising number have gone car free and will rent when they need one) they are looking for something cheap and functional. I see lots of old mini vans and SUVs that were left behind by Boomers and Xers, now being driven by Millies.
"Not driving at all" is not an option in most of the country. For Millenials living in major urban agglomerations, sure, but for those of us in flyover country, we have to drive.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:46 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Boomers aren't any better at saving (and may be worse) but many of them have pensions from when companies were still doing that sort of thing, and all of them will have social security when they retire- something no one can guarantee for GenX. The SS fund is projected to be running a deficit (though not "bankrupt") by that time if nothing is changed.
Ah, but the current SS problems are due to the sheer size of the Boomer cohort. Once we Boomers die off, the much smaller cohort of Gen X geezers will be supported in their old age by the Millennials, a cohort which is nearly as large as the Boomer one. So the demographic issues now facing SS shouldn't be an issue for the Gen X'ers. (Now the Millennials, they're going to have problems when they get old, though...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement