Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 01:05 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times

Advertisements

"I would like to speak to your supervisor."

Click.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 01:58 PM

5,010 posts, read 589,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
"I would like to speak to your supervisor."

Click.
LOL, that's funny....does that really happen?

Hard to believe because the agents are monitored so closely.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:28 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
It's 2015...all of the above happens all the time.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:49 PM

5,010 posts, read 589,941 times
Yes, motordavid...it's 2015 and clearly I've been living under a rock.

Just wanted to express that I really do feel for seniors. It greatly bothered me when I had to call them.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:26 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We need to let everybody know...especially our fellow older Americans.

​How telemarketers get around the "Do Not Call" list - CBS News

My elderly parents get 4-5 calls when I visit over a afternoon. Me, I get none. I wonder how they got on the call lists. They have placed themselves on the Fed, State, and whatever else do-not call list available out there.

I've placed myself on the list as well and it's still working five years later. I don't give out my number that easily to marketers or to political groups. I have a feeling my father's problems with getting called has to do with this staunch support of the RNC.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:30 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,414,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
I am on the do not call list but still manage to get a couple of calls/month. When possible I interrupt the pitch to get right to the company's name. I make sure it repeat it and then let them know that I would never deal with a low life, scum bucket bunch of spammers. Usually that ends the call.
Wonder what damage an ill-minded caller could do to you for that? Wonder if they could escalate the calls more - for instance, but giving your number to more callers just to make sure you irritated even more. My father often gives the callers a piece of his mind - wonder if they retaliated some way.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:32 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,239,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wouldn't go that far but I sure lost my temper when I was health care proxy for my cousin. I waited anxiously for those phone calls from the medical people who were supposed to call me back and my heart was in my throat every time the phone rang. I did not need a telemarketer invading and tying up the phone at a time like that.
I went through that when my mom was dying.... and when the telemarketers called I would say -- "I'm sorry, but I'm in the middle if a family crisis, and I need to keep this line free. "

And then I'd hang up. On the way down to the cradle, I could hear people apologizing. Except one...who got angry....and if I had listened to whoever it was, I would done my level best to have him fired. Would have given me something constructive to do while waiting for the bad news or worse news... or worse than that news...

Old 06-14-2015, 06:12 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,432 times
I moved and no longer get calls from these creeps, though I do miss those political surveys I used to do.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:01 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wouldn't go that far but I sure lost my temper when I was health care proxy for my cousin. I waited anxiously for those phone calls from the medical people who were supposed to call me back and my heart was in my throat every time the phone rang. I did not need a telemarketer invading and tying up the phone at a time like that.
I probably wouldn't go that far either, for Telemarketers, but its really is aggravating because these people like to wait till Dinner time to call, knowing you will likely be home. I don't get many of those calls from Marketers anymore. I used the old "turn around" talk on a couple a few years ago, and they hung up on me. I listened to what they had to say, then told them I was eating Dinner, but would be glad to discuss it further. I asked her what time she got off and ate dinner, and for her home phone number. She didn't say anything for a minute and then said they did not give out personal phone numbers. So I asked her if she did not want me calling her at home, at Dinner time, what made her think that I would want her to do it. She said nothing and hung up. Being on the "No Call" list does help also.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:30 PM

34,984 posts, read 16,956,874 times
When the caller from "Microsoft" calls I advise him that I was calling the police. That ends the call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement