Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:12 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
Wow.... you guys just don't get it.

In our community there is a pre-school adjacent to the senior center. Everyone loves it and there are many joint activities.
Again, as someone who chose and enjoyed a career working with preschool children, I get it and wouldn't love it. >>>shudder<<<

Presumably, only seniors that seek contact with preschoolers would choose to live in that center. At the same time, curious minds wonder ~how do you know that "everyone" loves it, did you take a poll?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:32 PM

3,947 posts, read 2,571,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
True but I believe that as long as the children are with the adults the adults are somewhat responsible for them. The adults might feel responsible to a degree. I don't think you can take away that sense of responsibility and need to oversee from people especially those who have raised kids.

This is not providing care.

Quote:
Okay, I'll try one more time. I am not saying it's the residents responsibilty. Let's just say it might not work for everyone.

I'm going to go out on a limb because I haven't observed a day care like this but I have worked in many centers.

What I would guess is the children are in their own space- rooms that they do their own activities, nap, eat (unless there would be a different arrangement) etc...

Then, they may have activities with the seniors- singing, sharing art work (making it too maybe), visiting one to one with those who WANT to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The staff of the daycare are the ones responsible and overseeing the kids...not the residents of the nursing home.

you're trying to make it more complicated than it is.
I agree with you no kudzu! Right idea!
I am also going to guess that seniors who want nothing to do with the kids would be honored. The children wouldn't extended themselves to those. Also, if a senior really would be bothered by the children, maybe they'd decide that was not the place for them and not sign up in the first place.

Also, often children bring a kind of magic, happiness that might soften the toughest of the seniors.

One more thought: how many times have you gone into a nursing home and seen a senior sitting in his/her wheel chair, no one around, and s/he is staring out into space? I have. Maybe there would be less of that of the children were around.

To each his own. No one would be forced to sign up to this situation.

Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Okay, I guess I just wasn't getting my point across, sorry that's my bad. I wouldn't dictate what others should do, just that this would not work for everyone even, perhaps, for those who enjoy kids. I guess I just had a different scenario in my head.

Anyway, for me if there were a facility in which a combination of nursing home or residential home and animal shelter where the residents of the homes could play with the critters as some shelters allow the public in to do, I would be so there.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:17 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,253,222 times
I sure hope I have a choice. I also don't want a therapy dog to visit.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:15 AM

496 posts, read 552,743 times
I think it would be helpful to educate children that elderly people "smell funny" or "seem weird" because they are...old. We are so sheltered all our lives from the realities of aging that it becomes a terrible shock when aging happens to US. If kids could be gently guided to see very old people and their frailties as normal, it would make them better-rounded people.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:18 AM

733 posts, read 852,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Why not? We all can benefit from each other at every stage of life.

Nursing Home And Preschool Combine To Form One Place
We have them here, two of them.

The residents allegedly love it.

The kids, not so much.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:11 AM

241 posts, read 272,567 times
Quote:
Okay, I guess I just wasn't getting my point across, sorry that's my bad. I wouldn't dictate what others should do, just that this would not work for everyone even, perhaps, for those who enjoy kids. I guess I just had a different scenario in my head.

Anyway, for me if there were a facility in which a combination of nursing home or residential home and animal shelter where the residents of the homes could play with the critters as some shelters allow the public in to do, I would be so there.
I would be all over the shelter thing. What a great way to keep active and engaged. Not a "kid" person but I can see the advantage of having voluntary interaction. I think both shelter and day care. All voluntary, so if you want to curmudgeon out and sit by the windows at the end of the hall you are all good. If you want to sit above and just watch, that's cool to. If you want to engage, so be it.

Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Threads have been merged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement