Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 11:02 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooluser View Post
Form SSA-7050 on the link below tells how to get an itemized list of employers, a certified list fee is only a mere $192.00. So I think, at least at first, I will attempt to obtain a copy of my tax returns for the years in question by alternate means.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/forms/ssa-7050.pdf

This form will get me a free transcript of a tax return or for $50.00 a copy of my actual tax return for a specific year.
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506.pdf

I am pursuing this.

Tooluser
Please report back as you go through the process. I am curious to know if you will learn how the discrepancy occurred in the first place and also how the matter is resolved. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 12:20 AM

118 posts, read 86,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
Sure it could slightly affect her social security, but the bigger question is that if she did not pay into SS that year, does she have a pension sitting somewhere to claim? School pensions pay well, and often come with medical benefits going into retirement.. Or an unvested amount of money in a pension fund she can have refunded? You can ask the school district to answer those questions, and the answer will also let you know if there was a messed up filing for the SS too.
Hi lae60. good points. we'll look into that too. Thank you.

Tooluser

Old 06-19-2015, 12:34 AM

118 posts, read 86,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
How much it affects her depends totally on how many years she has paid in to the system, AND what your SS will be. Based on the low incomes you posted, if you have double the income, for many more years, then half of yours will be more than her full amount, so hers wouldn't even add to the mix at all. Just post what you and her ages are and what your FRA payments would be and most anyone can tell you on here.
Hi Perryinva; I did find the online calculator for figuring what her benefits could be on my record and it turned out to be just a few dollars more than what SS states as her estimated benefit on her own record.

She does have 35 years of income. Exactly. Some are low amounts but if SS uses the highest 35 years as I have read then at least there will be no zeros figured into the benefit calculation.

Tooluser

Old 06-19-2015, 02:39 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,344,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
The SSA gets their info from the employer submitted Form W-3 and Copy A of W-2. This is eventually cross-checked against employer payroll returns (Forms 941, 943, and 944) filed with the IRS. Any discrepancies result in follow-up with the employer.
Agree
That is why the SS employee should be able to correct the error without additional information from the citizen. But they ask for a w2 which most people probably (the age of the error) do not have.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Agree
That is why the SS employee should be able to correct the error without additional information from the citizen. But they ask for a w2 which most people probably (the age of the error) do not have.
I agree. For the year 1988, I have $0 in the Taxed Social Security Earnings column but $45000 (ceiling for 1988) for Taxed Medicare Earnings.

I worked in private industry for the same company from June 1987 to Nov 1990.

So it is impossible to have tax medicare and not taxed earnings. Amirite?

I shouldn't have to provide anything because, well just because!

Thank you,

Hari
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement