Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2015, 06:37 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times

Advertisements

Golf carts with flashing lights and radar..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2015, 06:57 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,644,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I believe that if you have a complaint , to go to that person your self and express your concern , not throw off the responsibility on some one else. that's cowardus.
If the person is doing something dangerous bring relivent neighbors with you to have a talk with the offender.
If that doesn't work Then there are laws and police to handle the situation.
The worst thing though, is when some one simpy has a grudge and uses the HOA to terrorize a neighbor. that is abuse.

Wrong.

I am pretty sure that their documents say that all complaints must be brought to the board. People cannot settle their grievances their own way since ALL people must be treated the same.

We have a complaint form. In Arizona complaints are not anonymous ( ARS 33-1242). They will be told who made the complaint. It's amazing how people think their complaint isn't all that important when they find that out.

I agree with the notice but the wording could have been better.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:20 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,997 times
The burden of proof is on who ?
Keep turning in the names of the officers of the HOA and they will soon realize how foolish their requests are.

Old 06-24-2015, 07:30 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
The HOA has no authority over traffic violations, in the first place, that I know of. If you see someone speeding so that it concerns you, get the tag # and report it to the police.
HOAs most definitely have the authority over traffic violations on their privately-owned streets. The key is the citations they issue are not traffic tickets per se, they are citations for violating HOA regulations. If those regulations say that the speed limit throughout the community is 20mph and you're traveling 30mph, then they can write a citation and fine you just like they can fine you if you don't mow your lawn.

In the guard-gated community in Las Vegas where I first retired, the guards sometimes set up on the through roads with radar guns and issued citations to those who sped through the community or ran stop signs. If the violators we're visitors, the citation went to the homeowner.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,931,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That is just not true. You need to check your facts. Speaking truth is a good thing.
Here are the facts.

White House disables e-tip box - Mike Allen - POLITICO.com

Quote:
The “flag” service was introduced Aug. 4, with a White House blog post saying: “There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain emails or through casual conversation. Since we can’t keep track of all of them here at the White House, we’re asking for your help. If you get an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to flag@whitehouse.gov.”

White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said at a briefing shortly after the service launched: “We're not collecting names from those e-mails. … All we're asking people to do is if they're confused about what health care reform is going to mean to them, we're happy to help clear that up for you. Nobody is keeping anybody's names.”
Of course there was quite a furor over how the data would be used, the WH shutdown this e tip box after about two weeks.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:00 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,294,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Thanks for posting the link - I had no idea what the term meant.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
But I think it depends on what the neighbor(s) are doing. If you had a neighbor with their radio on loud at all hours, having loud late night parties, a dog barking non-stop next to your house, etc. that was against local city laws or an HOA rule, and not to mention disturbing your right to peace/sleep, would you think it's "un-neighborly" to report them to the police or HOA if they refused to stop? If someone is being rude/disrupting the rights of others on a regular basis, I think it's fair to report them as a "regular practice" to get them to stop.

As for the speeding in an HOA community, I think that's a job for police enforcement. I think the HOA and/or concerned neighbors could get some police presence/set up radar to slow people down if it's really that bad. I can understand this if people are blowing by in cars often, way above the speed limit, where there are kids and other drivers/people walking around are at risk from people breaking the law/going way over the speed limit. Having the police hand out a few tickets/fines and the word gets out, the problem would probably be solved very quickly....no HOA neighbor "Scouts" necessary which to me would be ineffective.
I'm so happy I no longer live in an HOA community... and am getting along fine....

If one of my neighbors made a habit of playing their radio loud - having wild parties (I'd be upset I wasn't invited... ) or were always speeding down the street - I'd TALK TO THE OFFENDER!

If I was in an HOA, I'd follow those same steps... I'd first talk to the neighbor and try to find a solution... If that was ignored, I'd talk to them again... 3rd time, I'm going to the HOA... and if it still continues, the war's on and I'll win this fight...

Old 06-24-2015, 09:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
HOAs most definitely have the authority over traffic violations on their privately-owned streets. The key is the citations they issue are not traffic tickets per se, they are citations for violating HOA regulations. If those regulations say that the speed limit throughout the community is 20mph and you're traveling 30mph, then they can write a citation and fine you just like they can fine you if you don't mow your lawn.

In the guard-gated community in Las Vegas where I first retired, the guards sometimes set up on the through roads with radar guns and issued citations to those who sped through the community or ran stop signs. If the violators we're visitors, the citation went to the homeowner.
I don't think the OP's HOA is going to issue radar guns to all residents though.
This is a he said, she said kind of thing.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:27 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,010,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I don't think the OP's HOA is going to issue radar guns to all residents though.
This is a he said, she said kind of thing.
My comment had nothing to do with the OP's specific circumstance; it was a rebuttal to bpollen's statement that HOAs have no authority to issue citatations for traffic violations. They most certainly do if the roads are private and community-owned.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 AM

3,438 posts, read 4,451,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A Godwin'd thread on the initial post. Delightful.
Nope, you are making the "fallacist's fallacy". The point is about totalitarian regimes (HOA corp) and the comparison is apt. The regime is recruiting as many Blockwart/Blockleiter as it can.

You know the management companies do this for profit and LOVE it when people call in with "complaints" no matter how inane - because the management company charges money for those letters of accusation they flood the subdivision with. More churn/chaos = more $$$ for the management company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement