Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,058,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm going through that hair thing too and it's aggravating. Seems I've developed some big ol' ugly cowlicks. When I was young my hair was so thick I had to have it thinned out now and then. I had my thyroid checked because I'd heard that can affect hair but it's fine. I never use blow dryers or brushes and usually comb it with a pick comb. I do have to use a LOT of hairspray because my hair is so fine and soft it won't curl without a perm and hairspray. Maybe I'll just resort to wigs! lol
Try taking Biotin daily. Over the counter. It has helped both my hair and nails tremendously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 11:35 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,102,136 times
30...........lol.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:39 AM

4,481 posts, read 3,638,650 times
My aunt will be 98 this September and I asked her if she felt old or nervous about her age. She said the only time she felt old was when she is getting up off of her knees after a long morning's gardening! She still cooks every day, goes on frequent trips with Elder Hostel, wears high heels, goes to Mass every morning and, like I said, gardens. When I take her shopping, she moves as fast a water bug and I rush to keep up with her(I'll be 44 in a couple of weeks and I feel creaky!)

When she was 83 years old she flew from California to Chicago (where I lived at the time) to take care of me while I was recovering from breast cancer, got my daughter then-seven year old daughter ready for school, cleaned my house, helped my daughter with her homework and made dinner. My husband traveled frequently with his job at that time and when he came home, she still wouldn't let him do anything!

Last edited by Praline; 06-30-2015 at 11:56 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 12:02 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryinva View Post
Maybe this has been asked already. Just curious at what age, and why, you came to the realization, if ever(!) that you were "really old"?
I'll be 69 in less than two weeks. Despite some serious, physical/medical setbacks with lasting deficits I've yet to consider myself "really old." I truly believe that age is as much in the mind as it is in the body. I don't think old. Heck! I barely think grown up.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:09 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,269,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
The first time I felt old was when a young man called me Ma'am. I was about 40. Seriously, I feel great so not worried about aging. It's a fact of life and I embrace it!
In the military, any person that outranks you is called sir or ma'am. Might be a 22 yr old female Lt., but they are Ma'am!

I've never felt weird about it.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:23 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
25, when we settled into a house and really birthdays just became a growing number. I don't necessarily feel old but it's just depressing thinking back to before then how much life I had ahead of me.

I'll be honest, my parents are in their 60s and I'm already thinking about how we should do as many trips together as possible.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:47 PM

438 posts, read 653,486 times
I agree...the wheels start coming off at 25. After that its all downhill. You start to get wrinkles, your hair starts thinning out, you start to get a belly, people start calling you 'sir' or 'ma'am', you need glasses, you lose energy, you begin to get fat, your teeth get yellow. By 30 you'll start to notice gray hairs and you'll start lying to people about your age. If by then you're married with kids you're probably working like a dog, deep in debt, don't have much of a sex life, and depressed.

Just ask your doctor for some anti-depressants and embrace the fact that your best years are behind you.

And when the pressure starts to win, be thankful that you don't yet need to stop wearing regular underwear and to start wearing Depends. And by the time you get to this point there's gonna be a whole lot of other issues on the list.

LOL.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:53 PM

126 posts, read 161,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm going through that hair thing too and it's aggravating. Seems I've developed some big ol' ugly cowlicks. When I was young my hair was so thick I had to have it thinned out now and then. I had my thyroid checked because I'd heard that can affect hair but it's fine. I never use blow dryers or brushes and usually comb it with a pick comb. I do have to use a LOT of hairspray because my hair is so fine and soft it won't curl without a perm and hairspray. Maybe I'll just resort to wigs! lol

You actually don't lose hair off the top of your head. What happens, I'm convinced, is that gravity works its insidious way and the hair is pulled in, then spills out in lower places, like the ears, eyebrows, and nose.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:07 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD_fla View Post
I agree...the wheels start coming off at 25. After that its all downhill.
Just remember that when you head downhill you pick up speed!

Old 06-30-2015, 01:16 PM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I feel it each and every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement